Animated Tree System

Community Forums/Showcase/Animated Tree System

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#1]
http://www.economicsoftsol.com/rctree/RCTREE4.ZIP

The system doesnt really have a name, im making it for another company. But ill still retain code rights

The system is a bit different than what you may be used to.
for starters you can load any model into the system as a tree. no special models needed. The only requirement ?(for now) is that parts of the model you want to be converted into branch chunks, use a texture with the word "branch" in them.

You can also specify swaying style, from center, top, or bottom. So with this system you could create a castle with swaying spiderwebs,and chains or a bridge with vines hanging down swaying in the wind, pikes stuck in the ground with heads on them that sway also.. or even a gallow with swaying ropes, and so on. not just trees.

The system allows for global wind and sway settings, as well as View Range, and animation Range per tree object.

This demo does not have any kind of render tweening

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#2]
Neat!

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#3]
Thanks.. the FPS you get will depend on what trees you use, i think those are mid level because they have about 12 chunks each. a 1-5 chunk tree can get 20fps with 5000 trees active at once.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#4]
Wow RifRaf,

You are a prolific coders man! Nice one!

IPete2.

boomboom(Posted 2005) [#5]
Will this be going into FLE?

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#6]
FLE pro wil let you drop models and if you want to flag them as trees

The tree system can scan the drop model info and find tree flags, then convert those models into a tree that works with the sytem, but you can simply Loadtree() and load any model you want as a tree, or convert an already loaded entitty into a tree.

In other words, it doesnt need FLE

I also ran some tests against other animated tree systems for blitz. and this one is quite a bit faster.. especially when the tree count gets higher than 100

RifRaf(Posted 2005) [#7]
grass system added.. here are some shots.. you can run about 4000 blades of grass before you start getting fps loss, and with that about 200 trees or so.. but im still optimizing.. these shots have lwo fps because i pushed it up above 7000 trees and grass .