Tank Universal

Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Universal

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#1]
After a month off or so, have started back into it. Taking a break was a good idea.

Spent yesterday designing the main baddie 'Gorgon'!
One of his guises is as a giant floating eye - meant to intimidate you (Sauron's a relation)

Particle fx courtesy of Particle Candy

Erroneouss(Posted 2005) [#2]
Very cool looking! A lot better than the last screenshots.
I like your HUD. It goes perfectly with the game.

Any chance for a demo soon? Or gameplay video?

GNS(Posted 2005) [#3]
I'm -still- playing the old demo. Very much looking forward to seeing this released.

IPete2(Posted 2005) [#4]
MadJack,

This is looking better and better, I love 'Gorgon' - what a neat idea! Colouring is excellent too. Will the colours fade when you score massive hits on this enemy - to show you have weakend him?? That would be cool.

When is the demo out? Oh from the posts above there is one, please post a link.

IPete2.

elseano(Posted 2005) [#5]
It's like Tron 2.0 except actually quite good.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#6]
Lookin Good MadJack

Rob Farley(Posted 2005) [#7]
MadJack if you want a tester just give me a nod! :)

I've been following this for... um.... years?!.... But it's looking very cool indeed, when I finally play this if it doesn't blow my socks off I'm coming round to slap you about with a wet fish... or something.

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#8]
Rob/theduck

Yeah, it has been years. Put that down to not having a set design doc + not knowing what the hell I'm doing most of the time.

One problem I'm running into is framerates - what with the long draw distance I'm using, lots of tanks (AI), particles + my crappy coding. I'm hoping Bmax (when it goes 3d) and further optimising will go some way towards solving this problem.

Crunchtime this year, I promise!

IPete2
Haven't decided if Gorgon will be 'hittable'. Kind of tired of games that build up an interesting story featuring a powerful baddy, and then you kill him with a badly contrived shooting sequence at the end. At this point, I usually start cheating to finish the game. Instead I'm kind of leaning towards making him a 'Wizard of Oz' kind of figure, he looks big, but he's really not.

I'm uploading the old demo now (15mb) and will post the link when it's done.

MadJack(Posted 2005) [#9]
IPete2

Ok, uploaded the old demo to
http://homepages.ihug.co.nz/~pajones/TankUni.zip

Be aware that it's a 15meg download (and unzip with Use Folder Names option enabled)
Couple of notes about the demo.
Firstly it's about 2 years old and doesn't represent TU as it plays/looks now (i've tuned down the firing rate for example)

Use the right MB to raise/lower the gun pitch (have removed this control scheme since, due to people not liking it)

Some of the messages aren't playing, but use E to enter an empty tank (when killed), and L to call a lifter to get back into the game.

There are some bugs, but they're not game critical.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#10]
Looks great!

Mustang(Posted 2005) [#11]

Crunchtime this year, I promise!

:)

Looks nice BTW... and I too don't like End-Of-Level-Monsters that are difficult to kill.