PersistentWorld3D - A Blitz Community Project.

Community Forums/Showcase/PersistentWorld3D - A Blitz Community Project.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#1]

Welcome,

PersistentWorld3D is a Multi-User Online Level Builder for the Blitz Community. The purpose is to develop a FREE full featured Level Editor in which multiple users can colloborate online to build 3D worlds in realtime for their games and applications.

The Project is open to the community for contribution. See the Rules for details. For the lastest updates, Check Out the TODO List!

News
PersistentWorld3D Demo v010305 Released!

In this demo, scripts create a simple WUI with buttons that create and delete some simple 3D primitives. The Purpose is to demonstrate how scripts can be used to create gui interfaces, support plug-ins, and macros. 01/03/05 Frank Taylor

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#2]
Starter Feature List:

Network
* Full Featured Chat and Instant Messaging
* Media/Logic Data Update Manager
* Asset Ownership Manager
* Database Support

Rendering
* Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG)
* Lighting and Global Illumination Engine

Editing
* Scripting Engine
* Layers
* Full B3D Import/Export

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#3]
oh now this could be bloody good.

/me adds the thread to his watch list.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#4]
Will this one get finished like Plasma... er... didn't?

And what's with the super-wide banner?

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#5]
GfK

Plasma continues. Have you made a contribution? A FPS is not for everyone. Perhaps you can contribute to this project.

namar777(Posted 2004) [#6]
this is good
but, itll be good only for teams not individuals. But goodluck

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#7]
but, itll be good only for teams not individuals.
WHY? Whats better than getting realtime help on your level. Just imagine, you are working on your level, need a little help, goto the lobby spread the word, give access to those who want to assist in to building your 'world'. Once there, edit real-time, see the effects instantly. And of course you would be able to build worlds/levels without networking.

PersistentWorld3D is for everyone.

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#8]
w00tness! If this works, this'll be awesome!

Whoa! I've thought of something this a year ago, but I knew I wouldn't be able to make it work... I was too stupid...

How about voice chat?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#9]
This will be good.

See the rules for details.

What rules?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#10]
And it should be password protected, so not just a random person can come in and work on it. You should have your own "server" or something.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#11]
And it should be password protected, so not just a random person can come in and work on it. You should have your own "server" or something.
Whats a community project, if its not open to the community?

GfK(Posted 2004) [#12]
A FPS is not for everyone.
I'm glad you realise this fact. Perhaps you can point this out to the moderators and they can stop cluttering up the forums with stickytopics about things that don't interest 99% of people?

Or get them to add a 'Community Projects' forum. Then I simply don't have to see it.

Clarks(Posted 2004) [#13]
oh my god. are you people serious.

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#14]
Frank Taylor wrote:
Whats a community project, if its not open to the community?

It should be open, but moderated.. someone should be in control of who gets to change what parts and when, since else you'd get lots of "kids" in there ruining what other people have made.

A members list should be maintained, but be open to public. You'd need to be made aware of the rules and terms of the project..

A nice idea though :)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#15]
sounds like fun

ShadowTurtle(Posted 2004) [#16]
you want
1. Good community network
2. Than 3D Editor network ;)

cu

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#17]
Perhaps you can point this out to the moderators and they can stop cluttering up the forums with stickytopics about things that don't interest 99% of people?
Interesting. There are <3 stickies cluttering forums. But, I would agree 100% with a Community Projects Forum. Community Projects are for the community and they should be aware of them.

I truly appreciate the moderators for allowing Project Plasma FPS and others community projects to stick where everyone can see, however, a dedicated forum to Community Projects be more efficient.

Either way, I only started the project thread. Others can take part, moderate and contribute. Taking Action, Not Smack'n - is the resolution for 2005.

Anybody with ideas or source code for chat/IM system?

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#18]
Imagine me in the corner of the level, building a nice litle shed or something. Someone on line tries to make the shed a different colour , so I turn around and blast em with a quake 1 nailgun. muaahhh!!

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#19]
Need more positive Ideas on features. What would you like to see in PersistentWorld3D Level Builder.

Techlord(Posted 2004) [#20]
It should be open, but moderated.. someone should be in control of who gets to change what parts and when, since else you'd get lots of "kids" in there ruining what other people have made.
Ive started a Work Area in which I can Moderate. The forum thread is open to the public.

Storm8191(Posted 2005) [#21]
...Here's an idea to prevent people destroying other people's work. Buying land. One person selects a region of the world map to work with, and if nobody else owns that land, it is theirs to edit. If someone else has that land, they must buy the land from the current owner. People can only own a limited amount of land at a time. When they finish some section and wish to start another, they have to give up their current land so they can buy elsewhere. The owners of the land may also give rights to other people to edit the land they own.

You might have to work out a system that returns land if the owners haven't logged in for a month or something, and have offline-style emails for members to read, in the event someone wishes to buy / edit a piece of land when the owners aren't logged in.

What do ya think? Worth a shot?

Conan(Posted 2005) [#22]
Hey, this project looks cool!
And i think the land-buying idea is a good one...
I wanna help!!

Yep, i'm steal the same crazy, delirious guy, but i do know how to code... ;)

Ummm... b the way... WHERE THE HELL'S THE CODE!!!

elseano(Posted 2005) [#23]
This sounds like a great community project =) If there's any media needed I can try helping with that.

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#24]
perhaps land owner 'a' could hire land owner 'b' to improve bits of their level, kind of co operative system.
Obviously there would have to be some kind of payment system.

Or you could give each participant a job, so someone does the decorating/texturing for payment, which means they can then buy more land and decide what goes there.

If someone loses interest in the project, their land/level can be auctioned off ebay style and 'bulldozed' if necessary
or just carried on by someone else.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#25]
payment?...starts to sound well :) (if real money)

Anyway, I see a problem if...well, what it's all about, a full modeller wich also allows to coperate in same virtual 3d space? what about Uv coords? Is it supposed to generate automatic ones? giving just some basic gizmos is not enough (cilindrice, plannar, etc.)

Dunno...I wouldn't risk to share my meshes that way...Unless...I entered there to get a payment editing someone else mesh, hehe.

If it is all just for fun...that is, like a online painting board...The best one I knew was the one at polycount, but as usual in these boards, too much silly kiddies wrecking your drawing...or painting dumb stuff, insulting, etc...

The for fun idea is curious, too. Just I see it all a bit hard to be made...

Mostly, what would prevent someone to steal others work? Supposing there would be a possible way to extract the meshes from the editor. (and if not...the only existence and destiny of it would be virtual? )

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#26]
From the discussion I gather that PersistentWorld3D could offer two modes of operation: Application and Game.

Application Mode: 3D Artists collaborate online to build levels that will be used in other games. Its a Full Powered Level Editor with Networking. No GamePlay Elements.

Game Mode: Its a Limited Powered Level Editor with GamePlay Elements. As a Player, your objective is to acquire the largest amount of real estate to Build. You can Buy, Sale, Steal, and Destroy it. Harvest Scraps and recycle them to produce raw materials, weapons, and defenses. Sortof RTS like.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#27]
Mostly, what would prevent someone to steal others work? Supposing there would be a possible way to extract the meshes from the editor.
Project Ownership. The person who starts a Project in the editor holds full access Ownership to the geometry and data created with in it. The Project Owner can grant access to others. Upon granting access into the Project to others a license/term of use is agreed upon. The Project Owner can assign levels of access for edit and export. Project Ownership can be transfered as well.

Editing Ownership. A user is assigned ownership upon selecting a Mesh to edit. This prevents two users from attempting to edit the same mesh at once. The owner is only allowed to edit or export the meshes depending on access granted by the Project Owner.

Conan(Posted 2005) [#28]
Are you guys coding this thing yet? or is it just a bunch of words and ideas???

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#29]
Are you guys coding this thing yet? No
or is it just a bunch of words and ideas??? Yes
Check Out the TODO List!

Conan(Posted 2005) [#30]
Oh, well, wake me up when you start coding!! ;)

GfK(Posted 2005) [#31]
Blitz Community Projects: Project PLASMA FPS 2005, PersistentWorld3D, Alien Breed Remake
You forgot to add www.tournamentblitz.com to your list of unfinished vapourw... er... I mean.... community projects.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2005) [#32]
Gfk: don't read stuff that doesn't interest you.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#33]
Gfk,

Tournamentblitz.com is a personal endeavor and I've released a INSECTIODS (TournamentBlitz Edition) Demo. Only the TBSDK was made available to public.

As far as Project PLASMA FPS there is plenty to download and my final contribution will be my BlitzScript3D Scripting Engine. Ultimately I only moderate the project, I'm not responsible for the community making contributions. The same position applies this project.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#34]
when did plasma start? 2003 I guess. why don't you dig it. Would be honest at least.

altitudems(Posted 2005) [#35]
Does this remind anyone of CUBE?

GfK(Posted 2005) [#36]
Gfk: don't read stuff that doesn't interest you.
I'm just bloody sick to death of the same old people making 'the next big thing', and never having the balls to actually finish anything. Ever.

Its like they NEED to be in control of people... almost as if they're doing it to try and earn some sort of misguided respect.

There are people here who are far more able (Flack, for one) and have actually COMPLETED entire games - they don't get stickytopics to themselves. Why does Frankie Taylor? Plasma will never EVER get finished, just like this project, and TournamentBlitz, and everybody here (inlcuding the moderators I suspect) knows it.

I'm sorry if this offends (actually, no - I make no apologies for my point of view), its how I feel.

Qcat(Posted 2005) [#37]
This sounds like an interesting project but at the moment is seems like anther vaporware project. Such has plasma, I think community projects are a good idea but unless there is something to show when they are announced. thay seldom seem to work

I wish you luck with this one. And I hope it works out

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#38]
jfk

Yes, 2003 is correct. The project is still alive and well. I can assure you that none of the work in the project has gone to waste. Its there for the download and view. Project PLASMA FPS will contnue to exist until the gap is filled: A Modular, High Performance FPS Engine with Source Code developed with Blitz3D. If someone desires a game engine like this, then they should be in on this project. If your not than you need to question yourself.

All in all, the community is responsible for a Community Project's life and demise, not just one person (like myself - hint). If I have to accept failure alone, then I should be able to accept reward alone as well. So go back and read through the 600+ post. Find your own faults. I've admitted to mine and have learned from them.

So the bottomline is this: If you want to be part of any community project than introduce your ideas, code, media, etc. Its true that they may not be agreed to, heck, you may get some nasty reponses, but at least you expressed yourself. Accept it and continue to brainstorm and collaborate, dont quit! Perhaps your ideas will be included in the bonus feature or next project.

Many want a community project. Many want a moderator, a coordinator, a organizer of the project. Ok you've got one! I've stepped to the plate and bring some experience in community projects, Blitz3D Programming, and Web Development.

I'm not developing the game or app, we are as a community. So lets get it together. We need a list of features before any coding takes place, its that simple. With the list of features we can devise a plan. Without it, what in the hell are we coding for?

Once we have a solid list, we can prioritize and divide coding task amongst those who accept the task. Once a task is accepted it should be focused on til near perfect. It is much easier for a person to focus, document, and perfect a single task than two or more. Not to mention less stress.

There are four guidelines in place. Follow them, then everyone is on the same page. If you cant follow them - then this project is not for you. Its that simple.

I'm contributing my fastest scripting engine to date to this project and PPF. I've have focused on it exclusively for the past 3 months and I intend to perfect it. It will be the Scripting Systems of all Scripting Systems and it will be free. Thats what community projects are about.

So, with all this said, "what are you contributing?"

GfK(Posted 2005) [#39]
Nothing. Because its a waste of time, just like plasma and tournamentblitz was. You'll never finish it. You never finish anything.

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#40]
'Its like they NEED to be in control of people... almost as if they're doing it to try and earn some sort of misguided respect.'

Jeez , thats a bit harsh, Frank is always the perfect Gentleman.

Perhaps you should learn a lesson from him in terms of people skills

And stop behaving like a 2 year old. You are really losing it you know!

GfK(Posted 2005) [#41]
Perhaps you should learn a lesson from him in terms of people skills.
I don't demand or require respect. People have their own opinions and that's absolutely fine. I do my own thing. If people like it, fine. If they don't, fine. I'm completely indifferent. I don't need mass pimpage and stickytopics, unlike some people. Finished products, quality and income is what counts. I have a family to provide for. You get £0.00 for endless unfinished ideas.

I accept your right to your opinion. Please accept my right to mine.

And stop behaving like a 2 year old. You are really losing it you know!
<edit> Oh, and stop trolling.

puki(Posted 2005) [#42]
"Ruz" you are still alive.

It's me - "puki".

Woof-it

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#43]
You get £0.00 for endless unfinished ideas.
Agreed. You get £0.00 for free ideas as well.

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#44]
I accept your right to your opinion, but not to to troll and flame like you have been doing.

You don't think that your response in this thread is just a tad over the top?

GfK(Posted 2005) [#45]
I accept your right to your opinion, but not to to troll and flame like you have been doing.
Well, its my opinion regardless of whether or not you agree with it.

And on that note, and on the basis that I've never had a problem with you in the past, we'll leave it at that. I've said my bit anyway. No point going on about it any more.
You don't think that your response in this thread is just a tad over the top?
Perhaps. But its merely an extension of what I said about Plasma 2004 when that was first announced (i.e. It'll never get finished). It didn't, as well.

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#46]
yo Puki, happy new year mate. I thought you were lost in
the Blitzmax forums forever

GFk, you should try and be more like Puki

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#47]
'Well, its my opinion regardless of whether or not you agree with it.'

Well thats fine, but you were a bit nasty about it all the same.Surely you can get an opinion across without being offensive.

If you don't like it don't post in the thread, which has now turned in to a troll fest.

GfK(Posted 2005) [#48]
If you don't like it don't post in the thread, which has now turned in to a troll fest.
I've been here for almost five years. I'm straight-talking and don't beat about the bush. Most people here know that.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#49]
Need more input on features guys!

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#50]
Good Luck with it Frank anyway.
Even if you 'don't' finish it, I am sure some good stuff will come out of it.
My only advice ( not that I am qualified to give it) is that you should knock up more demos along the way to keep the interest up.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#51]
Good Luck with it Frank anyway.
Even if you 'don't' finish it, I am sure some good stuff will come out of it.
My only advice ( not that I am qualified to give it) is that you should knock up more demos along the way to keep the interest up
Thanks friend. But, let it be known the community should finish it. I'm just here to help guide and moderate. Contributions, Ideas, Discussions, and Demos are at the mercy of the community.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#52]
Frank - if anything, then make a new thread. This one's getting clogged with random spam:
Sausages

Sausages

Sausages

There? Am I popular now?

So...let's start!

My ideas:
The combined processes of the actual map maker:
Terrain Editor
Dropper
Building Maker (I dunno - I think this would be kinda cool)

Well, this is going to be really cool, even if we don't finish it.

Let me ask one question:
What is so important about finishing it anyway?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#53]
I have to agree with GFK. This is not about trolling, it's a fair notice for people who didn't watch these projects trough the years. Some of us did and most of us used to quit due to the same reason.

Yes, 2003 is correct. The project is still alive and well. I can assure you that none of the work in the project has gone to waste. Its there for the download and view. Project PLASMA FPS will contnue to exist until the gap is filled: A Modular, High Performance FPS Engine with Source Code developed with Blitz3D. If someone desires a game engine like this, then they should be in on this project. If your not than you need to question yourself.

so you say there is a demo game to download? Hmm, maybe then I wrote my engine for no reason.

All in all, the community is responsible for a Community Project's life and demise, not just one person (like myself - hint). If I have to accept failure alone, then I should be able to accept reward alone as well. So go back and read through the 600+ post. Find your own faults. I've admitted to mine and have learned from them.

You say the Community is responsible for the result, but you wanna be the CEO who makes the rules. I think the rules have a remarkable inpact on the result.

So the bottomline is this: If you want to be part of any community project than introduce your ideas, code, media, etc. Its true that they may not be agreed to, heck, you may get some nasty reponses, but at least you expressed yourself. Accept it and continue to brainstorm and collaborate, dont quit! Perhaps your ideas will be included in the bonus feature or next project.

Wow, huge lot of pardon. But let us now carefully study the following lines:

Many want a community project. Many want a moderator, a coordinator, a organizer of the project. Ok you've got one! I've stepped to the plate and bring some experience in community projects, Blitz3D Programming, and Web Development.

This is the problem. You think everybody wants you to be the project leader. But did yo actually ask them? Well, you didn't ask me. Instead, long time after PLASMA 1 was dead, I
sponatously started talking about a new FPS Community Project and a hand full of coders immediately were interested. This was the point when you re-joined, opened the grave of plasma and declared yourself to be the project maximo lider. I spent dozens of hours for nothing, or worse, to hear that my "style does not fit in the modular architecture" aka "your code sucks". So you where the Project leader and this was the beginning of the end of my membership. a few weeks later I used to quit.

I'm not developing the game or app, we are as a community. So lets get it together. We need a list of features before any coding takes place, its that simple. With the list of features we can devise a plan. Without it, what in the hell are we coding for?

Yes, sometimes I really think you are only doing feature lists, plans, pseudo-code and superwide project bars.

Once we have a solid list, we can prioritize and divide coding task amongst those who accept the task. Once a task is accepted it should be focused on til near perfect. It is much easier for a person to focus, document, and perfect a single task than two or more. Not to mention less stress.

we can? or you can?

There are four guidelines in place. Follow them, then everyone is on the same page. If you cant follow them - then this project is not for you. Its that simple.

I didn't read these guidelines and I honestly don't want to join anyway, but this statement was real symptomatic. "Hey, this is a community project. I make the rules, eat them or die".

I'm contributing my fastest scripting engine to date to this project and PPF. I've have focused on it exclusively for the past 3 months and I intend to perfect it. It will be the Scripting Systems of all Scripting Systems and it will be free. Thats what community projects are about.

Will it? Prediction _and_ Leadership, you maybe better build a new world religion in this case.

Well, I tried to be part of one of your projects and my contribution was ejected by _you_. So I decided to contribute to the code archives instead.

Sorry, I had to reply to your statements because they provocated me personally. Usually I am not that offensive, but I wanted to say this since a long time.

I wish you good look for this project, but I suggest to give the leadership out of hands to any other talented blitz programmer.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#54]
Jfk,

I should have put a stopping point in my rant above. Perhaps after my first string of sentences. It was not all directed at you.

All I can say is this, its a community project, if you dont like the way im handling things you can vote me out or start another community thread, there is always something you can do - just take action. All I know, is that I tried to bring organization where none existed.

I have not attacked anyone, nor their views. I've only stated my case, noone elses. But, let it be known this debate is an example of what you will experience in a community project. If you do not, there is truly a problem...

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#55]
Optimistic,

I agree 200% with using existing libs and tools. It would be nice to combine the processes of: Terrain Editor, Dropper, Building Maker into one tool. I would also suggest throwing a GUI Lib and BlitzPlay on top of the pile. Assuming we use libs available, we will need to work out the licensing of these products with the authors.

I'm not familar with Terrain Editor, Dropper, Building Maker. Can you provide some details on their features for discussion?

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#56]
Modular Architecture:

Refers to the design of any system composed of separate components that can be connected together. The beauty of modular architecture is that you can replace or add any one component (module) without affecting the rest of the system. The opposite of a modular architecture is an integrated architecture, in which no clear divisions exist between components.

The term modular can apply to both hardware and software. Modular software design, for example, refers to a design strategy in which a system is composed of relatively small and autonomous routines that fit together. -webopedia.com

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#57]
About the idea:
People are rarely willing to help when 10 lines of code are bugging you, why would most people help most people with BUILDING WORLDS , online? Yea it might be great for teams but for the community, not sure unless everyone starts believing in communism and builds the community for free and community projects start to rule and everyone is cooperating like crazy. Now its capitalism, every man for himself (most of the time) and it works.

I do wish you good luck however.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#58]
Yea it might be great for teams but for the community, not sure unless everyone starts believing in communism and builds the community for free and community projects start to rule and everyone is cooperating like crazy. Now its capitalism, every man for himself (most of the time) and it works.
Wow, communism?

elseano(Posted 2005) [#59]
Hang on a second - why does everyone here assume that EVERY community project ever started NEVER gets finished? I mean, look at Jump Around - that was a great community project, and the end result was a very playable and appealing game.

I think the main reason it got finished is because it was simple. People felt like it was possible to complete, and it was.

In my opinion, we make this project a game - making something which is designed to be fun is surely easier than trying to create an elaborate online collaborative 3d engine.

Besides, if the game gets finished, and the code is easy enough to edit, it can have features added - maybe even enough features to become the 'far-fetched' online level editor originally proposed.

Just my opinion, but it seems to make sense, to me at least ;)

ckob(Posted 2005) [#60]
I like the idea alot but based on frank taylors past history and judgement I dont think he would be the best project leader for this. I dont have enough time to help out with the code but I would love to. I have nothing against frank but a persons track record will usually tell us how they will act in the same position. I have seen a couple community projects under franks leadership die off. I dont intend to sound negitive towards this community project at all I encourage this i know the blitz community is pretty famous for tearing down people's ideas and putting people down in general i'm just stating the facts so dont get angry with me frank :)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#61]
Dropper, Terrain Editor, and Building Maker are just some stuff I made up.

First, you create your terrain in a terrain editor, and it would be nice if it had a "tile seamlessly" option. The terrain editor should have texture layers, etc.

Then, you make a couple buildings in Building Maker, a separate part of Persistant World 3D. You simply choose the shape of your building, and it exports a previously-made UV map that you can easily texture yourself. Once you've finished with the UV map, you just load it into Building Maker and apply the texture. Voila! You have a building.

After creating a building, you load up the Dropper, click "Terrain" and load in a terrain. Then you import or merge in the building that you made and you've got a terrain with a building on it!

Good other features would include an automatic physics engine, where you just modify some settings and you apply physics to everything. And there could be other features, such as building roads, dirt paths, etc.

These are all things we have to code, but if we could get our hands on the code of terrain editors such as FLE, CLE, etc, then we could use all the features into this.

Just stating some ideas. Tell me if you like them.

It looks as if I'm one of the few that are actually interested in this project.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#62]
BTW: Game mode sounds a bit like Monopoly! I like the idea!

If you want me to, I can go ahead and start coding the Game mode thing. I have already started a project within No Enemies Development about it. I'm creating a game exactly like that. Once I am finished, I'd be more than happy to use it. Although my game will most likely be selling for money, so we'd have to discuss some legal issues.....

Ross C(Posted 2005) [#63]
"Jump around" and "Alien breed" are a success/becoming a success, because Rob Farley was in charge (offically?) Alot of people contributed alot, but it was easy to contribute to them. I wouldn't dare contribute to plasma because of how complicated it sounded. Too many techy words flying about, scared me off before i tried anything.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#64]
Frank Taylor - did you join my forums?

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#65]
techlord be me.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#66]
Yay.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#67]
Optomistic I've been hunting for free source code and open source modellers, terrain editors, GUI Libs, and Network. I've had some success in locating BlitzPlay Lite by Surreal and Gnet for networking. BlitzPlay has a modular code lib, great documentation, and fan base already putting it to use. GNET will obvously be used to track game worlds in progress. A nice chat client could complete the networking side of things.

There are several very good looking 3D sprite-based GUI Libs, but, unfortunately most are not free. I've been checking out Epilon (Ngui 2.0) by mouss38 but its not in english:(. I'm seeking a translation. IMHO if we find a good gui to work with now (someone?) could immediately start building the Application and Game interfaces. This will produce the fastest results.

The BlitzScript3D Scripting Engine can be implemented now. I'm currently working on 'Functions', which is the final basic feature and top priority. I will continue to improve Loops, Boolean Expressions, and Conditions. Combining a GUI, BlitzPlayLite, and BlitzScript3D provides a good Starting framework.

I have not had very good luck with finding a Free Open Source Constructive Solid Geometry (CSG) Based Modeller. CSG is common modeling method that combines simple solid shapes called PRIMITIVES to build more complex models, using the BOOLEAN OPERATORS: UNION, DIFFERENCE, and INTERSECTION. If we have to write code from scratch, I managed to locate some excellent CSG Functions by David Dawkins and Markus Rauch in the code archives.

ckob(Posted 2005) [#68]
if u go to markus rauch's website you can download the complete source to his 3d modeler.
http://home.kamp.net/home/r15502/blitz/basic/

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#69]
Wings3d is open source. No booleans (other than some trick)
But is all about solids.

BSD Open source. (probably the most generous license)

Blender is a full thing. It has booleans, also. And since recently, quite better than before.
Is open source BSD license, also.

The integration of Blender maybe better, as it also would benefit the projects the fact it has animation, with bones and weights export for characters. I suppose the experience on it and Python language for making the script exporter (actually the only thing to do, been done for cal3d, and for many engines, like Crystal Space) for levels, would help when making an animation exporter...

Blender needs Python coding, and Wings, u should use Erlang code.

But they're already made...

I prefer Wings to model, but it'd probably be better to support Blender, as u can allways import an obj into blender, but wings has no animation or some other advanced scenery building features.

Both are totally free and widely documented (specially Blender)

There are already many exporter plugins(actually text files: python scripts, usually quite short code) done, like md2, md3, x, cal3d, md5, milkshape3d(no animation yet for this exporter, only levels, objects), OBJ, 3ds, etc...

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#70]
I've been working with Ngui all the time. I know how to work it - you don't need a translation. I can't speak French or whatever that is, but I've been able to find use of it.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#71]
If been look at Wui as well

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#72]
Yeah. You could to that too, although I'd have to get used to it....

Conan(Posted 2005) [#73]
Frank,
"I've been checking out Epilon (Ngui 2.0) by mouss38 but its not in english:(. I'm seeking a translation."

Hell, I can translate, been studying french since 13!

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#74]
Frank, here is a simple recepie on how to start a decent community project that stands great chances of being finished:

1-Find a forum with polling capabilities
2-Make a new thread and in that thread include at least 10 ideas, listed from 1 to 10, give each ideas description in the thread, and on top let people vote if they would work on a CP like that, and the last option if they wouldnt work on any one of those.
3-Spread the link to that poll/thread
4-If you get enough people, start the most voted project. Let people change/add to it.
5-Make a web page that contains precise design document and schedule of what needs to be done and a huge disclaimer at the top saying "FEATURE CREEP NOT ALLOWED".
6-Each time someone does something, post it on that single web page so that people can look and see the structure they are building. Thats motivating.
7-Get done and be happy.

(edit)
Another very possible but complicated method would be to let lots of people add lots of ideas to the thread and everyone can give certain 'points' to an idea on how likely they would be to participate in it so that the community decides what to do.

As for 'communism' in my last post :P figure it out for yourself!

maximo(Posted 2005) [#75]
I wonder GfK what you would say to Linus Torwald. Probly that he shouldn't spend any time on his pet project, that will never get finished, that nobody cares and that it's pointless. You can't tell people what dreams to chase. Chasing dreams is more important to some people then you realise. So stop being negative and be more supportive or if you don't have anything positive to say don't say it at all, go into your corner bad boy and bite your tounge cos it's not doing any good ;)

GfK(Posted 2005) [#76]
I wonder GfK what you would say to Linus Torwald
I'd say "Who the hell are you? I've never heard of you". (Don't tell me who it is - I honestly don't care)

Chasing dreams is more important to some people then you realise
Dreams are all in the mind. You said it all, really.

So stop being negative and be more supportive or if you don't have anything positive to say don't say it at all
Or to put it another way "You're not allowed to think its a shit idea"? Actually its a fair enough idea - its just the fact that nothing Frank Taylor starts ever gets finished that I have an issue with. New people here might want to help out with this, without realising his track record and end up wasting months of their valuable time. That's the problem.

Braincell(Posted 2005) [#77]
Leave the guy alone man, some people are better at getting motivated and dreaming, some at executing what they think up, some are both. You said you think what you think and thats enough.

GfK(Posted 2005) [#78]
You said you think what you think and thats enough.
The subject was closed until Maximo chose to dig it all up again. So have a go at him, not me.

maximo(Posted 2005) [#79]
Oh I'm so sorry. I appologize Wize Blitz Elder. Yes you are wize and you got experince, you have produced more with Blitz then many can dream here. You are wize, but the really wize person knows that you can't tell someone great lesson by words. Sometimes leasson is learned by attempting and failing, it may take 1 month or it may take 100 months. In the end person has learned.

You screaming at them doesn't help situation. Perhaps you should work on developing some understanding cos once you were in their clothes and though you could do impossible things and wouldn't listen to anyone else that told you that you couldn't. The more the were negative more driven were you.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#80]
We're all in the same boat at one time or another...

Ruz(Posted 2005) [#81]
Long as its not the titanic he he

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#82]

PersistentWorld3D v010305

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#83]
I thought it was Torwald Linus...not Linus torwald...whatever.

The creator of Linux. :)

I know you didn't to know who he is. But I wanted to write it ;)

There could even exist another person not knowing who he is. XD

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#84]
I think he posted he had something new or the like, when he invented it. In a newsgroup or mailing list, can't remember.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#85]
I'd agree in insisting all the time in the "get it done quick" concept. :)

In the other side, it doesn't need to go bad allways.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#86]
I think the key thing here, and in any comunity project is just this :

- contributting authors (yep, even if they made just one model, or one succesfull routine...I would consider contributor anyone that has created some work for it ) should be able to vote, just in same weitght in decissions arised from the polls, that the project leader. yep. There would be no need of project leader. I trust in comunism for these things, at least ;) In these things, the leader is mor someone that actually is a bit more active than the rest as is the one who probably started moving the idea, but no more. this way, the comunity decides.

I am not saying a or b moderator/leader were bad or good. Just that is the way to go. If all fail, the fault is comunity's, not leader. If all goes well, everyone in comunity have the same portion of satisfaction: their leading to what they democratically decided. (true that some times the majority can lead to a ver wrong decission: the reason why I suggest only contributor authors to vote is...a random wanderer may care less about the project, and often...know less of it. Not as info being less available (at least between contributors, all info MUST be available), but because the typical wanderer, or visitor, have not spent months inmaking and reading about it.)

So, imho is just this one point. The idea of that persona suggesting one forum with voting polls, and making decissions with an equal weight of each member.

Frank would never ever be accused again: his decission would be as heavy as any other. Sometimes the easiest thing is to blame the leader; some other times, the leader is really acting wrongly. This way you avoid both dangers. Comunity is responsible.

I am not saying Frank is one way or another. I think he'd be a great member like any other. i only say in general, this method tend to work well, and avoids those problems. When people think they work together, equally, deciding all in common, all works. (even in the cases the leader is acting well, there are allways ppl suspecting. This avoids that.)

My 200000 $.

XDDD

maximo(Posted 2005) [#87]
>My 200000$

i want 20% of that ;)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#88]
What should I start on?

Conan(Posted 2005) [#89]
I got the same question as Optomistic

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#90]
Optomistic, Conan

Did you try the demo? If so. Whats your opinion thus far? Using existing Libraries and snippets is gonna save us tons of time and frustration. Not to mention produce faster results.

I admit the scripts are lil rough. Its due to how they're updated in the main loop. They sort of behave like functions. This behavior will be improved when Functions are implemented.

What should I start on?

I've been focused on the Application Mode of the PW3D, the Editor. The Game Mode will inherit many features of the Application Mode, thus, IMHO its more logical to start on this aspect of the project. I can only suggest taking a gander at the TODO List. I'm sure there are several features missing from the list. If you see a missing feature please post. You can also select any of the TBD features that noone else is working. Following the Conventions, it should be relatively easy to add your code to the application engine.

A very simple Editor could be written in few paragraphs of code. The GUI interface just makes life more easier. We can possibily start laying out the interfaces for Editing shapes, Camera Views/Controls, etc. A a simple intuitive design is desired. I have the tendacy of make things complex so we need more input on this.

I will be playing around with BPLite. From what I see so far, Multiuser support can be implemented just like it is in a game, the user can host a 'Project' or join one. GNet will serve as 'Project' Tracker.

I'm not sure how Users will be represented in the Application Mode. Perhaps a side bar with advatar pic or name? Or perhaps a 3D Advatar that represents their camera location. Each user could probably have a specific color or something to identify what meshes they own in project. Not sure at this point.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#91]
I think I'll start on the building maker.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#92]
Building Maker is a simple application partnered with PersistantWorld3D. It lets you create buildings, import objects to put on your landscape, and add built-in add-ons. Once you have completed your building, export a pre-made UV map to texture your building. It will export directly to PW3D file format, or B3D file format.

That's basically what I've got planned. If anyone wants to help me with it, just tell me.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#93]
Optomistic,

Building Maker Sounds Good! Will it employ Constructive Solid Geometry? Its not mandatory, but will save us time if you can play with the CSG functions and get them working. Located some cool functions for loading and saving B3D. May come in handy.

Load B3D Function by Halo

LoadB3D by jfk
Requires b3dfile_utils.zip

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#94]
Application GUI Interface (Concept Only). If you have ideas make changes and repost.

elseano(Posted 2005) [#95]
@Frank - I'd prefer to have the import and export options in the 'file' list. It seems more conventional and makes more sense to me.

The rest of the options seem to be in the right place =)

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#96]
elseano ,

Please feel free to modify the html file, repost, and I'll update. I'm sure theres a few options missing.

Conan(Posted 2005) [#97]
@Frank

I'll start working on the chat system and the menus.

BTW, It's too slow, not sure wether it's the engine or the GUI, tho.

Also, I reccomend BlitzUI rather than WUI

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#98]
Yeah - the GUI is REALLY slow.

Darn, Frank - you beat me. But you titled the second one, SaveB3D, "LoadB3D."

BTW - Building Maker is NOT an online application.

Conan(Posted 2005) [#99]
Frank, just coded a NEW Gui for the pw3d. Uses blitzUI And the WinXP Colour Scheme. Just save it in a Sub-Folder in the BlitzUI folder:

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#100]
Is it faster?

Is BlitzUI free?

Conan(Posted 2005) [#101]
"Is it faster?" You bet!
"Is BlitzUI free?" Yep! It's somewhere on this website, just don't remember where...

BTW, how do you do those lil windows with green letters and black background for the code?

[EDIT] Found IT! It's here http://www.legacygames.co.uk/projects.php?disp=blitzui

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#102]
conan,

Use 'codebox' instead of 'code' to create black/green textboxes.

The menu is looking sweet. BlitzUI is very nice too. It is desired that "BLUI_" preceeds the vars, function, arrays, etc to comply with the conventions. I do have a mass replacement tool that I can use to change add "BLUI_" to the labels. This is not critical at the moment. We make changes if we run into code conflicts.

I'm not sure what area your having speed problem. The scripts are forced to recompile so startup takes few seconds. However, this can turned off. The script only executes once to create the ui, the update script is extremely small and checks of the buttons have been clicked. The script should not be causing any dramatic speed problem, but, I wont rule it out. I did notice speed issues when I added 3D to the scene.

If were moving to BlitzUI, I'll add it to the scripting engine and run some test later. I have a utilty that will add them to the scripting engine instantly. Please pursue the chat system and the menus.

Conan(Posted 2005) [#103]
Ok, Frank, will start working on the chat thingies right away!

BTW, i do reccomend moving to BlitzUI for 2 main reasons:

1) Faster, Faster, Faster!
2) Easier to Use

(We gonna use BlitzPlay Lite, right?)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#104]
Yes - I agree with the "Easier to use" part of it.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#105]
BlitzUI is in! It comes with an editor too!

I did run into several 'duplicate identifier' problems, so, I will have to add the "BLUI_" prefix sooner than I thought. If I make changes it should only impact any code using the current lib labels in a minor way. The 'BLUI_ prefix' would have to be add to the labels.
Example
MainWindow = BLUI_Window( 0, 0, 640, 50, "PersistentWorld 3D", "0", 1, 1, 0, 1 )

(We gonna use BlitzPlay Lite, right?)

Yes. BPLite is the current choice for networking:)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#106]
Great.

Hey Frank,

I was thinking about starting a "Real Estate" tycoon anyway, and I've already gotten pretty far into the idea, so I might be able to do the "game mode." I think I'd have much more fun doing the game mode or creating the models. I could create sample buildings and do other odds & ends.

Anyway, just telling you that, and that I think the user should be able to choose which OS he's running, so the GUI will change to that scheme. Good idea?

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#107]
Anyway, just telling you that, and that I think the user should be able to choose which OS he's running, so the GUI will change to that scheme. Good idea?
Sounds good to me.

I've rewritten BlitzUI with the new prefixes. To include all the examples, Conan's Menu Example, samples, editors and docs. You can get the unofficial updated "BLUI" in the download. I've havent implemented the BLUI into the main.bb yet, working out some bugs.

Additionally, I've completed writting the bscvmCallBulder Utility which automates adding functions and macros to the scripting engine.

Have we finalized on the GUI Lib? If so , I will playing with BlitzPlay and finalizing the Scripting Engine Function Implementation.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#108]
Wow. Over 100 posts already. :D

Conan(Posted 2005) [#109]
Hey, i started converting the thingy to BLUI, and it worked fine... Untill i started on the chat window.

For some reason, i clicked on chat and nothing happened. Then i noticed that if i clicked Save, the open/save file dialog didn't open either! So i put in a debuglog check and guess what, for some reason, BLUI don't detect anyomoe whether i click on a menu item or not. Menu titles and windows work fine, it's just the menu items. can't figure it out...

Anyways, here's the code, name it main2.bb and putit on the engine folder.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#110]
Conan,

Add "BLUI_" prefix to "EVENT_"

Also note that I was in process of converting the Messaging String Contants into Integer Constants for slight speed increase. Cant say I got it all working. The Editor relied on the string Messaging, but, I'll have to devise an integer equivalent.

Conan(Posted 2005) [#111]
Aww! That fixed it!
I Hate it when it's something that simple!

Ok, it's up and running.

I'll add the creation tools and chat in a minute!

Conan(Posted 2005) [#112]
Ok, so this is what i've managed so far (Chat System on my ToDo list)

This is the main thing:

And this the BLUI_Boxes.bb that you need in the Extras folder:

I like it VERY much, but i want your opinions, gys (and the info on hows YOUR part going)

----------------

No, not my signature, LOL

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#113]
Conan

I'll definately check it out and get back to you asap! I'm currently trying to isolate a bug in some menu scripts. You will be able to set up a menu script just like in real code. As soon as I resolve the bug I'll provide feedback!

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#114]
One thing I think would be wise to strive towards is having PW3D's level format being the level format used for Project PLASMA FPS, or to shape PW3D to work with PLASMA. I mean, you're endeavoring into a game engine that's still waiting to get to its alpha stages and now starting a big 3D level editor. It would be mutually beneficial if both projects co-existed with each other.

More to the topic, I love this idea. It's something that hasn't been done as far as I'm concerned, and it could really be a great help if you could quickly request for a little help or find a tutorial while you work. Here, I think the most important thing to focus on is the interface so the editor itself is a good tool. Try contacting halo on collaborating and maybe this could turn into Cartography Shop Network Edition.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#115]
That'd be neat....

Also, this should have the functionality to work offline, so if you don't have any friends, like me, you could still build the level.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#116]
Uber Lieutenant,

PW3D will support a pluggins with BlitzScript3D at the core. Many Level Information Format (LIFE) Pluggins could be written and integrated in PW3D relatively easily to support PLASMA and other BlitzMade Game engines.

PLASMA's Level Information Format hasn't been determined yet. In fact, the current PPFNet Level is hardcoded. Of course this will change in the future. I'm currently working on BlitzScript3D which will be featured in both PW3D and PPF so we already have a common element in both projects.

An intuitive interface is the goal, heres Concept 1. We have been working from. You are more than welcome to make suggestions. You can even grab the html, make changes, and repost. In fact, I will be posting a new demo featuring the BLUI (BlitzUI) menu Conan has been working on.

Also, this should have the functionality to work offline, so if you don't have any friends, like me, you could still build the level.
Of course, PW3D will function offline as a standard Level Editor ...hehe

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#117]
One other question: Why is PLASMA captitalized?

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#118]
Why is PLASMA captitalized?
...honestly, there is no reason. Although some think it means 1) a green slightly translucent variety of chalcedony used as a gemstone; 2) a fourth state of matter distinct from solid or liquid or gas and present in stars and fusion reactors; 3) clear, yellowish fluid portion of blood, lymph, or intramuscular fluid in which cells are suspended.

For me, it has been more like a green solid or liquid or gas in which my brain cells are suspended..hehe.

I took a lil break from my keyboard. Back on it. I manage to rewrite the demo with BLUI. But, there is a bug with BLUI_FileDialog box crashing the ScriptEngine. I've written parts to BLUI to comply with the convention. Mainly the BLUI_Initialise and BLUI_UpdateGUI. BLUI_UpdateMouse and BLU_ResetEvents are in the BLUI_UpdateGUI. Also added a new function to handle events via script. IMHO, It makes for cleaner code vs the select...case that can get huge and ugly.

Would like to conduct some performance test before I release it. Can somebody help.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#119]
Conan,

The menu look great! Employing BlitzUI was a good a call. I can definately vision this being one the most complete chat systems developed with a Blitz-made application. With comparable features found in MSN Messenger, AIM, Yahoo and the likes. Just I can imagine a Advatar Pic, 'My Status' Icons, Smileys, Group TreeView, etc.

Would it be ok to apply the 'pw3d_" prefix to vars, arrays, functions not part of another library?

Awesome Work!

Conan(Posted 2005) [#120]
"Would it be ok to apply the 'pw3d_" prefix to vars, arrays, functions not part of another library?"

Yeah, sure, as far as i'm concerned...

"The menu look great!" I already knew that :P

"Employing BlitzUI was a good a call." Of course, it was my idea LOL

"I can definately vision this being one the most complete chat systems developed with a Blitz-made application. With comparable features found in MSN Messenger, AIM, Yahoo and the likes. Just I can imagine a Advatar Pic, 'My Status' Icons, Smileys, Group TreeView, etc." warcangaroodatestercanhityou (ran out of comments...)

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#121]
@Conan: lol

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2005) [#122]
for any chat system I'd reccomend to implement a personal bell. So somebody may ring your bell when you're AFK, you'll notice (if your speakers are on). And to prevent abuse of such a bell (ah, remember those days) you may add a "this guy is not allowed to ring my bell"-function.

I usualy miss this when I'm in a chatroom. Some time ago I worked on a little chat (from the archives), and I added a bell as described, that was a cow thad said "moo!" - pretty funny.

Conan(Posted 2005) [#123]
god idea jfk, will probably do that

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#124]
JFK,

Thats a very cool feature. I haven't seen that one in msn messenger.

I'll be making a update hopefully tonight. I have more bugs in the scripting engine, but, im quickly exterminating them as i find them. I managed to add a blitzscript ...endblitzscript keywords that allow you to put mulitple scripts into single file. The value of the scripting system may not be clear at this moment, but, when complete it will provide a programmable core for plugins, macros, and mods.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#125]
OK, then put the whole thing in an official download.

Conan(Posted 2005) [#126]
yeah, i agree with optomistic, get everything in a download

N(Posted 2005) [#127]
SAUSAGES.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#128]
Noel: Whats "Noel's empty head?"

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#129]
Team,

I apologize for the tardy delay on the update. I just ran into too many bugs worthy of release. Due to this situation, I'm making a Official and Unofficial Release available. The primary difference between them, is the official Release will be announced, contain a version number, and be bugfree (hopefully). The unofficial will not be announce and is updated without notice (which can change on a daily basis). I constently update it as a backup of work in progress.

This is best I can do at the moment, because, there are too many changes going on to consider them all official. If someone has a better solution and is willing to put in the work in to track the changes, then please offer.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#130]
As I stated elsewhere, A lot of planning needs to go into this sort of thing. A real lot of planning. Also the results of this planning and a mission statement of sorts, needs to be available to anyone and everyone who is or potentially may wish to contribute. This is all before the ideas start to fly around that have been bounced about here.

No wonder these things dont get finished, they have no defined goals. Nor do they have any structure.

The Alien Breed remake is MUCH more organised, viable, reasonably ambitious and consequently is progressing quickly and well.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#131]
Malice - Galactic Allegence looks like a Cool Open Source Project wish you the best.

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#132]
Thanks, Frank.

I wish you the best too with your projects and I hope that your determination isn't marred or your enthusiasm dampened by lack of support and contributions.

I think its a shame when you have all the ideas and enthusiasm, and too many people just wish to 'pee on your fire' so to speak, rather than applaud your efforts and at the very least, allow you the opportunity to try.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#133]
Team,

I would like for the next update to be somewhat functional. I'm shooting for very basic Editor that create entities, orientates them, and saves the info in a file. This is a simple premise we can build on further.

I've put together a small list of properties for the Entities which are needed by the Editor. I would like to brainstorm ideas on what properties are needed. I'll use this information to make GUI for the entity properties.

Heres my current list.
id%
typeid%
parentid%
mesh%
texture%
brush%
class$
label$
x#
y#
z#
anglex#
angley#
anglez#
scalex#
scaley#
scalez#
red#
green#
blue#
order
alpha#
blend
shininess
fx
visible
pickmode
obscurer

N(Posted 2005) [#134]
Steve (Optomistic): It's a joke that Scouse (Tom) made. It uses the craptastical search 'feature' of this website.

I feel sausages could be a useful contribution.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#135]
Frank - about that:
I'm not working on anything related to the actual editor, as Building Maker is entirely separate. It is an entirely different applications that allows you to compile a building with lightmapping, blah, blah, blah. Anyway, if PW3D is going to have an entity format, I need to know what it is so I can give an export on Building Maker.

And also, I'm working on the "game mode."

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#136]
Optomistic,

The Entity format is based on the properties of Blitz Entities. Heres the current list of put together for a Mesh Entity:
id%
typeid%
parentid%
mesh%
texture%
brush%
class$
label$
x#
y#
z#
anglex#
angley#
anglez#
scalex#
scaley#
scalez#
red#
green#
blue#
order
alpha#
blend
shininess
fullbright 
vertexcolors 
flatshaded 
disablefog 
disableculling 
forcealphablend
visible
pickmode
obscurer

I hoping to get more input on this list of properties.

We will also be creating a set of properties for brushes, cameras, lights, sound emitters, terrain, and textures. In fact, all of Blitz3D's Objects (Vertex, Surfaces, Collision Objects, etc) should have a means to be edited with PW3D to make it very powerful.

However, for the next "Official Update" I'm shooting for simple Mesh Editor and might include CSG Tools (which are really cool btw). Once a basic editor is working, I'm gonna start playing with BPLite to get the network messaging worked out.

I want avoid going to far with editing features before the Networking is in place. IMHO the first reasonable milestone will be for 2 or more folks to be able to connect to a 'Project', Chat, create some primitives (cubes, cones, spheres, cylinders), take ownership of a primitve, orientate it, and all connected members see these actions in realtime.

Using existing code snippets and libraries has shaved off months of stress. I'm really excited about the results I'm getting with BLUI (BlitzUI) and CSG Functions. The next update will be worthwhile.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#137]
You still need "Object Collision" in there somewhere.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#138]
You still need "Object Collision" in there somewhere.
I'm aware of this. But, its not necessary for a basic editor. Have any ideas on the list of properties?

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#139]
Nope - not really.

So when should the "Official Update" be ready?

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#140]
Nope - not really.

Awe, come on Opto. Aren't you working on "Building Maker"? Surely you have some ideas on how you want the geometry format to be. I dont want to feel like Conan and I are the only ones coding. Why is "Building Maker" a separate Application? Share what you have coded thus far, I'm very interested.
So when should the "Official Update" be ready?
The project is only 13 days old. I'm striving for the end of the week, however, debugging is very tedious and no guarantees. Additionally, I'm coding, scripting, and drawing up menus and icons (I'm no artist). Wouldn't you agree that my plate is full? So the best answer I can give you is: "in due time."

If you absolutely cannot wait (hehe), the UnOfficial Update provides almost realtime update as it is the backup of Work In Progress. As far as I know, no one allows access to such a file. So, download and read the Changelog at your own risk!

Its not in PW3D's best interest to release an "Official" bug-riddled demo. We get enough negative feedback. More positive feedback on ideas is whats needed. What about CSG, LightMapping, Layered Views, etc. Not much has been discussed on those topics. Even if one cannot contribute code or media, one can contribute ideas on those subjects.

What I find amazing is the quantity of negative feedback thrown at this project. There is so much opportunity for folks to share their ideas that actually impact the design as we go. This is why I or no one else can write a plan in stone. The project is just to flexible.

An Editor is viable and reasonably ambitious. There are already plenty that have been crafted single-handedly. The problem is either they're missing a feature, bloated with features you don't need, or too expensive. PW3D provides access to the code and scripts, simply remove what you don't want or add to it and everyone benefits. Its FREE and has realtime network support.

PW3D is an Level Editor, although its unique in being 'Network and Game Enabled', its primary function in life is a Level Editor. Anyone who is seeking a Level Editor for their game and havent found one should be interested in this project. It is for them... by them.

Well, back to coding, scripting, and drawing up menus and icons! Plus, updating documents, the forum and trying to motivate others. Pratice makes perfect!

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#141]
OK.

Well - I have nothing to show - really, I'm no application programmer. I don't even have an idea on how to start. I'm really sorry - I just don't think I'm fit for this project - I was made to create games, not applications.

Oh well...

But there really isn't anything I can do on this project...

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#142]
Optomistic

You dont have to actually program anything. It would be nice, but, not necessary. We really need more ideas. I'm drawing up controls at this minute that allow you to move a camera around and move some entities around. I'm going by what I've wrote down. But, it would be great if someone offer their ideas just in case I missed something.

I'm really no App Programmer. However, IMHO there is a very very thin line between the Game and the Level Builder. Some game engines have a Level Builder built in (ie: Torque Commercial Game Engine.). In fact, with the approach we are taking with PW3D development is just like a game.

As I've said before, using existing code has already shaved off months of dev time. With all the tools available its been relative easily to get stuff working in the PW3D Engine. I actually doing more work designing the GUIs at the moment. Even games have GUIs. So keep in mind the difference between a game and the level builder is very very thin.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#143]
OK.

Well, I can't even figure out how to make it so if you click a button and a sphere appears on the screen.

But, really, I've been trying - I just can't do it! Currently, though, I'm working on "game mode" - I've switched that to my current PW3D project.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2005) [#144]
I say if you haven't looked at PW3D this way, you should now. Pretend you're developing a remake of a popular map editor (like Worldcraft), and work with that in your mind. But also think of this as a typical multiplayer game, and is being developed like a typical multiplayer game.

This is like the first map editor with a multiplayer mode (too bad there's only co-op play. PW deathmatch would be fun, not to mention hilarious) and that's what the aim is.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#145]
I've been inquiring input on features in other forums. Here's some good stuff that others are talking about:

Bob3d

Gmax, Metasequoia and Wings3D are a good source of inspiration, imho.

I like the transparent windows. Much functional.

For example, in general...(as I have not tested the evrsion of Persistent World yet) ..I'd say...rightclik in-place floating menus (where u are modelling and have the cursor) and have all comands there, becomes quite functional, and non workflow killer.

Gmax is great for the splines stuff, lofts and extrussions, if it's just 50% of what is Max.(imho a really good level editor) Boleans in Max 6 seem much better than they were, and become useful for quick level editing, also.

metasequoia, for a bit of in what Wings excells...inmediate access to all. things like popping up a tiny menu when u hit "w" key, and it cycles which command to use if u continue tapping w. (ie: turning edge, break edge, etc)

But is if u really want to get into the actual modelling features.

Snapping..tends to be important....

numeric operations...in wings, I can start moving in X axe direction, I hit TAB and put an exact number...

Mirror. Duplicate object. Weld objects(a boolean), or at least , weld vertices. Turn edge. rotate, move, scale.

Align objects. Align respect a vertex, align in reference of several vertices.

But the actual option of non adding modelling tools, just... allowing importing well a model in OBJ, X, ASE, or B·D format...does teh task already, people can model in their modeller.

So would be in a basic-essential set needed only rotate, scale, move, align, snap (to a grid, or/and to another object) ...later on if feel strong, maybe add lights. As adding a lightmapping stuff, done well , would be close to crazy, at least make teh lights and light settings (spot, omniboth of their settings, in a basic way, light color, intensity) so to be able to do an export to: a renderer, or a lightmapper, as kickass and great as Giles.

Maybe the posibility of, while not adding uv mapping tools(allways trying to avoid stuff that u can do with free tools and is done) yet adding the ability to generate in the file a second UV channel, empty, so that , as the x or whatever model was imported with UVs, the users can copy the channel 1 one into channel 2. or another way would be to some sort of copy UV info to clipboard, and paste in the second UV channel. If load another mesh, to make it work, must be the very exatc same mesh.
An export format to have all this info, could be...perhaps ASE, i suppose b3d does no have lights settings support. ASE has it all, but no ASE loader for Blitz3d. In case Blitz3d is one of the destinys.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#146]
I revamped BLUI Lib and worked out all the bugs in BLUI_Ed. Now BLUI_Ed can be used to edit, save, and generate menu code ready for the engine\main.bb.

I could use some help creating menus for the various editor options. You dont even have to mess with other parts of the engine, just use your art skills to craft some cools menus with the editor and post the code generated. Some work-in-progress menus are included.

What will I do with menu code? The blitz code that BLUI_Ed generates is 100% supported in BlitzScript3D. Thus, all the menus can be scripted. With the new event_handling their actions can be scripted too. Ultimately one can craft the Plugin Menus with BLUIED and Script them with BlitzScript3D. The default menus will be scripted as well. So the entire configuration of PW3D can be modified to meet specific needs.

Conan(Posted 2005) [#147]
frank, the link should be http://techlord.blaceve.com/blui.ZIP <---notice it's ZIP, not ZIPO, LOL

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#148]
Oops! Its Corrected @ http://techlord.blackeve.com/blui.zip.

Bob3d(Posted 2005) [#149]
hey,

Found some othe rprojects similar to this.COuld be useful the cases where code is shown, or just to see how things were well/badly implemented :

http://www.blender.org/modules/verse/
http://tagcma.com/

a *very* basic modeller that outputs as *.c opengl code(the only thing allowed of use)
http://www-1g.cs.luc.edu/~gm/glrex/glrexintro.html
Anim8or also output as c code.

But i suppose the c export is of no use at all.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#150]
Thanks Bob3d.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#151]
Made some significant updates to BlitzScript3D, that has made scripting a lot easier and cleaner. A basic pw3d_entity lib and camera controls are in. Now I'm digging into BPLite to get a grasp of the networking. I would like to coordinate a online test with BPLite. So anyone up for volunteering just post a time in GMT. I'm on the PC 24 hrs a day.

I feel confident that I will be able to acheive the First Milestone within the next two weeks. As mentioned earlier, I can really use some help on creating menus. The BLUI Lib and Editor is all that is needed to assist. You dont have to mess with other parts of the engine, just use your art skills to craft some cool menus with the editor and post the code generated. Some work-in-progress menus are included. Any help would free my time up to code editor stuff and would be greatly appreciated.

Checkout the Unofficial Release in the Worklog Downloads Section for the latest info. Checkout the Opaque/Clear Menu feature.

wizzlefish(Posted 2005) [#152]
I think the clear menu is a great idea, but if you are going to do that, the background should be a little darker.

Techlord(Posted 2005) [#153]
I think the clear menu is a great idea, but if you are going to do that, the background should be a little darker.
The background color can be set in the in the preferences, along with the schema, screen dimensions, etc.

Things are moving along fairly good. The menus are totally script driven which allows for some cool customizing. Although, I might remove the *.bs files to prevent one from destroying the primary interface to the application.

I'm weighting the value of adding 'Function' creation to BlitzScript. The Command Installer makes it easy to added Blitz-coded Functions to the Scripting Engine. Also, the BlitzScript....EndBlitzScript Keywords encapsulates individual scripts kindof removing the need for functions. I still might add them for the challenge.

Anyhow, the network core is in. I've modified BPLite slightly to insure no conflict with labels. Hosting and Joining a Session is really straight forward. I will be shaping the Messaging as I go. The current idea is use 3 Digit value that represents a command, object, and value. These messages are distributed on all connected users PC.
Example: 
{MoveAvatarForward},{AvatarID},{1.0} = 1,3,1.0
{RotateAvatarLeft},{ObjectID},{1.0} = 5,3,2.0
{BooleanToolPickA},{ObjectID},{0}
Looking for input on this so, this message handling may change. I will be testing this weekend so look for PW3D Server Registrations on GNet.

New Project Thread Here