Cartoon Style Racing Game...

Community Forums/Showcase/Cartoon Style Racing Game...

strado(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey everyone,

I've just finished programming this game called Farty Eggs.

You can download the setup (4.8 Mb) or visit the website.
I'll be very impressed if someone beats my times...

Cheers,
Martin

PS: I'm using my dad's account, this is not actually strado.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
Looks cute, but I think you need a more toonish skybox texture. The landscape is great, I kind of miss roadrunner in here.

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#3]
Martin,

Very nice potential here... a few things to say...

I like the cuteness of the whole game. I like the pfuttt pfuttt of the engine - ace, physics feel good if a little slow, but starting off driving from standing still, is too slow for me (using keyboard controls). I love the water splash - nice sound fx too. At one stage I dropped onto some sand and it took me an age to get off - which was just frustrating. It is nice to have a variety of surface reactions to acceleration but they need to be a little more speedy please.

I liked the courses - nice and compact. I particularly liked the hard track. I loved the tight corners and the jump, as well as the easy way it was to fall off the cliff roads if you were not too careful!!

I think graphically it is very nice. I would like control over which screen resolution I use and things like antialias, texture filters, colour depth etc.

The menu screen is okay but the text is a little too blurry in places, use drawimage instead of a texture, or use cleartexturefilters at the start of your prog.

I noticed looking through the files there are inis for me to alter stuff, which is a good feature, so many people miss this out!

Nice little particle and sun falre effects too.

I didnt get to experience the ghost racer yet but I will!!

If I had a gripe it would be the you need to tell us which key to hit to get back to the menu, and to enter our initials and press return. A little text goes a long way!

Altogether a really nice little game, and one me and the kids will play tonight!

Good one!

IPete2.

strado(Posted 2004) [#4]
Thanks for the comments guys,

I'd like to alter the game but I told myself I want it finished before christmas and now that it is upon us I wouldn't feel right changing things.

I will learn from this though, I think next time I'll get more opinions as I develop the game, thanks again.

Just out of curiosity, what sort of times are you getting?
I got my Easy (normal) time down to 27:02, don't think I can break 27 seconds.

If anyone has times they think are good I'll put them on the site (not that it gets much traffic). But hey, at least it looks like I've got some competition :-)

Cheers,
Martin