Impressive 2D Action Games?

Community Forums/Showcase/Impressive 2D Action Games?

Adam Bossy(Posted 2004) [#1]
I am looking for some cool 2D games for inspiration for my current project, with a few in particular.

One is from Blitz's early days. It was a platformer where you could aim with the mouse and move with the keys. I can't remember exactly how complete it was, but it was really cool. I think it was called "Abuse" or something. Maybe that was a similar commercial game.

Another one is a 2D overhead shooter that wasn't fully developed when I played it. It was multiplayer, set in a warehouse, where you could explode barrels and stuff. Kinda vague, yeah, but some people might remember.

Any suggestions for games similar to this or anything else in 2D is helpful. I remember there was a game called "platypus" with really good art that was cool too. I am checking out Alien Breed right now. I've checked out blitzcoder, but there's so much content that it's hard to sort out what's good and what isn't.

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#2]
You could always look at games for consoles like the Megadrive and Snes for inspiriation, as 99% of the games for them were 2D.
http://www.retrobase.net/ is a good source for seeing game screenshots from older platforms.
I wish somebody would make a modern remake of Flashback or Another World. Those games were beautiful to look at back then :)

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#3]
'Super Aleste' from the SNES days and the newer GameCube/PS2 generation game 'Ikaruga' are two of the best shoot'em ups I have ever seen or played.

I still have Aleste - brilliant game!

Adam I am guessing you are jesting about Platypus - it's probably the best game ever written in Blitz, one of the best looking too. I can't wait for his next game - it looks hilariously good.

IPete2.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#4]
I wish somebody would make a modern remake of Flashback or Another World. Those games were beautiful to look at back then :)

Agreed, they were good games. Just don't revist them now or your rose-tinted memories are liable to take a kicking. :)

Dustin(Posted 2004) [#5]
>Just don't revist them now or your rose-tinted memories are liable to take a kicking. :)

I have to disagree. Just fired up Flashback a few weeks ago. Into animation!! Back then that was unheard of. Sure it's dated but it's still golden and ready for an update. Classic fun!

Adam Bossy(Posted 2004) [#6]
Ah, thanks for the suggestions! It's great seeing games like Donkey Kong and Dig Dug; they were some of the first I ever remember playing.

However, one of the reasons I'm asking for Blitz games in particular is because I also wanted to look into the 2D vs. 2D-in-3D issue. Everything I've programmed so far is in 2D, but I'm considering scrapping everything and reprogramming it with 3D sprites. I'll have to search the boards for more about this, since I've never used this technique (and don't know it's advantages/disadvantages), but any advice would help.

IPete: I didn't know Platypus was so highly regarded. I stopped frequenting the site several years ago, but visit occasionally for news about BlitzMax and such. I'll have to load it up again....

Space_guy(Posted 2004) [#7]
I think your thinking of my old game BigGuns.
Aaaah :) brings back memories

Anyway. it should be here for a download
w1.370.telia.com/~u37007297/

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#8]
There was Fade to Black which was a 3D version of those games, that was superb. Although I do think a remake of flashback would be cool. Personally I'd do what I'm doing with AlienBreed in using 3D models for the characters, that way you can use boned animation which would be easier (and smoother) than stop frame.

LineOf7s(Posted 2004) [#9]
Well, Space_Guy saved me mirroring his classic game and pointing you toward it. :o)

The other one you mention sounds to me a lot like Simon Smith's "It's Bloody Murder" - available at http://website.lineone.net/~bloodymurder/

Even it that's not it, it's fun. :o)

Kryzon(Posted 2004) [#10]
Hey guys, are abandonwares ilegal? Because i downloaded
Abuse from one...

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#11]
Hey guys, are abandonwares ilegal? Because i downloaded
Abuse from one...

Sometimes yes, sometimes no. It depends on the game. Abuse has been released for free by the authors. So in this case, definitely not illegal.

Eric(Posted 2004) [#12]
My favorite coin op was Robotron 2084. Wow that was a game. I have often thought about redoing it, but It has never happened.

Adam Bossy(Posted 2004) [#13]
Yes, BigGuns and It's Bloody Murder are the ones I was looking for! Thanks.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#14]
Robotron 2084 is in the top 5 all time best games ever. Period!

Loonie(Posted 2005) [#15]
take a peek at the astroboy omega factor on the GBA

or viewtiful joe on GC

i think it's current, top-notch 2D fun

Simon S(Posted 2005) [#16]
Ooh, thought my ears were burning. This is first time I've been back to the board in quite some time. Nice to know people still remember it.

I've been on an extended break from programming. Nvidia are mostly to blame when their drivers suddenly decided to deliver about 1/3rd of it's previous 2D performace. But there are other factors too. If the demo's are anything to go by, I suspect I may get back into programming once BlitzMax rears it's head. Murder may return, but in a cut down fashion.

The 3D card simply can't handle the 2000+ shapes Blitz 2D delivered. And even then only back in the heyday of the 30.81 graphics drivers.

As for 2D action games, hmm get WinUAE and check out Amiga Classic Battle Squadron for sheer playable blasting action. Check out the Chaos Engine for a great of example of style. Also Smash TV was a beut on the SNES, but that's really just Robotron which has already been mentioned.

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#17]
Simon S:
3D hardware can easily handle much more shapes that you would get in any 2d methods these days using single-surface system. Even on low end cards.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#18]

The 3D card simply can't handle the 2000+ shapes Blitz 2D delivered. And even then only back in the heyday of the 30.81 graphics drivers.

I just put up a little demo that pushes 10,000 shapes. It wasn't super fast but it could be playable and I only have a 1GHz system ... the gfx card is decent 9600 XT but nevertheless that's not high end really.

<Added>

Also I just did one using 2000 and it was very fast ... so I'd imagine you could do a pretty crazy shooter with this.

Simon S(Posted 2005) [#19]
True enough, I wrote a few things myself that could push about 4000 images and keep about 60fps, even in Blitz+

However this seems to change if you're using a lot of different shapes. I'm no expert at the low level stuff but I'd assume this down to both the CPU cache and the way that once the graphics card has drawn one image, it seems to find it very easy to repeat the same image many times over. (I assume this is what Bouncer refer's to as single surface)

But it's definitley the graphics drivers (I know for a fact fellow Blitzer Quicksilva has also had this problem). I've tested it extensively in WinME and XP. After the 30.81 drivers it goes from 2000+ shapes to about 400. Now 400 is more than adequate to write a game, but it cuts out a lot of the special effects I had worked so hard on. Copyrects, which I used extensively also suffers badly under the new drivers.

It was all extremely disheartening and took me so long to identify the problem that I was sick of Blitz and programming in general.

But if anyone's written a system that pushes thousands of differetly textured sprites in 3D I'd definitely be keen to see it, just to know it can be done.

Anyway, I learned my lesson about writing games that push the hardware. I'll definitely be writing much simpler things in future.

P.S. Isn't the 9600XT an ATI card, I've found no problems with the ATI cards, they seem to be great for 2D and IBM runs a treat on them.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2005) [#20]
Yeah it is ATI.

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#21]
Simon S:

Try this... It's almost same as the single-surface particle example in my sig. It shows lot's of different images (3000 in the exe) on screen at once running at respectable fps. And it can still be optimized.

www.kotiposti.net/naama/test.zip
(executable and source included)

Simon S(Posted 2005) [#22]
Pretty good, It handles about 1200 at my desired 60fps.

But is it really practical to have all your images on one texture? Don't certain cards fail when using textures larger than the screen?

Bouncer(Posted 2005) [#23]
I haven't run into that kind of problem... but it may be possible. Then again you might as well make a few surfaces and use multiple smaller textures. This way it would certainly work even on low-end gfx cards.

There are several 3D accelerated 2d systems for blitz3d which are really easy to use and plenty fast. I believe Gosse has one called Nsprite... you may find it on blitzcoder.

Simon S(Posted 2005) [#24]
Cheers for the help. I don't actually have Blitz3D, but intend to buy BlitzMax.

I had intended to anyway, but now I know the 3D card can handle that many 2D in 3D shapes I'm extra excited about the whole prospect. My previous tests using Dll's only delivered about 400 in 3D, but that's obviously down to the way I was using them.

Anyway, to steer this back on topic, I've remembered a few other favourite 2D blasters.

Bangai-o on the Dreamcast is utterly fantastic, as is most of Treasure's work (Gunstar Heroes: Megadrive, Mischief Makers:N64)

Also Gauntlet 4 on the megadrive is the best version of Gauntlet by a country mile.