Wire Hang Redux

Community Forums/Showcase/Wire Hang Redux

matt!(Posted 2004) [#1]

http://www.gingerbeardman.com/wirehang/

Last edited 2011

matt!(Posted 2004) [#2]
Binary uploaded. :)

LeisureSuitLurie(Posted 2004) [#3]
Seems to run without a hitch. Very cute. Needs a bigger window methinks.

Now that you have all the OpenGL goodness.

eni(Posted 2004) [#4]
I've seen shots of this before but never played the PC version. It's quite a fun little game. Beautifully presented in its tiny window. Great little time waster.

Only problem is that going by your version history, the boss key doesn't work. Then again maybe you took it out since notepad would look kind of weird on mac?

matt!(Posted 2004) [#5]
You're right, that's why I took it out. I've now added sound though.

The Mac OS X version has less keys than PC version. See readme. Glad you like it.

marksibly(Posted 2004) [#6]
Matt,

You can probably streamline the release quite a bit.

Have a look at the firepaint sample. It contains something like:

Framework BRL.GLMax2D

Import BRL.Basic
Import BRL.System
Import BRL.FreeAudioAudio
Import BRL.PNGLoader 
Import BRL.WAVLoader

By specifying a 'framework', you get to pick and choose what actually gets included in the release - eg: the above only imports the PNG and WAV loaders since that's all firepaint uses.

matt!(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thanks for the tip Mark.

I only use PNG and WAV loaders so this knocked 550KB off the unzipped app size. :) The zip's now half as big, too

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#8]
Heh, well done -- works nicely here!

eni(Posted 2004) [#9]
The sounds really add to the game, it's great! Though a prefer the old icon - I'll take a girl over a grappling hook most days thank you ;)

Once again a really enjoyable, polished minigame.

matt!(Posted 2004) [#10]
I'd like to add window gadgtes and have it auto pause on losing focus like the BlitzPlus version does, but it's still early days.

Thanks for the feedback folks.

podperson(Posted 2004) [#11]
Grr. Now I'm not safe even on my Mac!

Koekelas(Posted 2004) [#12]
Really a funny little game.

Nicolas.

podperson(Posted 2004) [#13]
I was playing the original version and noticed that the wire seems to be fired from the girl's hand in the Java version. So depending on when in her animation you fire the rope, you get slightly different results (not sure if this is a bug or a feature, but it does differentiate the two versions).

I think there's some kind of epic game hidden in this concept... but she needs a flamethrower.

matt!(Posted 2004) [#14]
I think he draw the girl end of the wire slightly higher than i do, but it doesn't affect the momentum or path of your jump. Trust me. ;)

matt!(Posted 2004) [#15]
Wire Hang Redux featured on Apple.com downloads

http://www.apple.com/downloads/macosx/games/action_adventure/wirehangredux.html

matt!(Posted 2011) [#16]
7 years! Blimey.

I've just released a new and improved version, available for Mac and PC. Some issues with BMX on Linux that I am investigating.
iOS version using Monkey to follow.

http://www.wirehang.com

New in this version:
• Easier to control
• Changes as you climb
• Bigger game window
• Improved graphics
• Birds!
• Planes!
• A secret at the top

Last edited 2011

Neuro(Posted 2011) [#17]
Wow....i remember this game from way back in the day :)! Originally written in BlitzPlus right :)?