Project : Maori

Community Forums/Showcase/Project : Maori

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#1]
Here is an educational program created for New Zealand Musiems to simulate the pre-european NZ with the native Maori and all their various building, cooking, hunting, etc. techniques.

Below are 2 screenshots take directly from the simulation:

View of the Food Store Souse and Meeting House in the background:

View of the different Maori huts that they would have lived in:

aab(Posted 2004) [#2]
interesting basis.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#3]
Nice graphics :o)

KiwiSteve(Posted 2004) [#4]
Nice one.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#5]
nice- but screenies seem a bit dark - particulary if that's direct sunlight shining on the whares.

Also (and this is being picky so you can tell me to go to hell), I'd look at tweaking the tree colours to look not so 'English'- more that dusky green tinge the NZ bush has...

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#6]
@MadJack
I am in the process of doing that as I post this message. Funny that :)

The reason the screens look dark, I have just realised, is because I run dual 19" lcds which tend to brighten things up heeps. I will rectify this, as it is going to be shown on a nice big projector.

Thanks for all your feedback.

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#7]
Oh and incase you were wondering what was hanging from thoes platforms... its fish. Apparently they used to dry them out in the sun so that they could be stored and eaten weeks or even months later.

Just incase you wanted to know. :)

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2004) [#8]
Nice website icecap.

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#9]
Hehehe, its just about time for an update I reckon. ;)

Cheers.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#10]
Icecap

It occurs to me that the Maori Land Wars could make for an interesting strategy game.

Two sides - English Colonials versus guerilla fighters who made the occasional stand at fortified sites - play as both sides - think there'd be a lot of scope for interesting situations.

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#11]
Well i had thought of that. I had also thought of the fact that there might be a few Maories out there that wouldnt be too keen on the prospect of Europeans killing Maori or the other way around.

I was very much told off when i accidently put a gun in the hands of the player when you walked around the village... *whistles and looks skyward* :)

Its a really good idea, and probably a good seller but the politics behind it and surrounding it may be too much to deal with.

Especially if you could capture the foreshore and seabeds... lol.

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#12]
well there are loads of games were ww2 germans are shot up, or american civil war games, or americans killing native americans....as long as you keep the game accurate, rather than a 'hollywood' version

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#13]
Yeah, I know but the Maori/European relations are not the best they could be. The Maori are always asking for more land claiming that Europeans took it off them in the first place and they shouldnt have.

In some cases that is correct, but in others its just a way of getting the tribes more land.

Things like this show on NZ television news almost every night and there would be such an uproar if there was ever any sort of violent game encouraging Europeans to kill Maori or the other way around.

Its really just not worth the hassle.

If there was ever a game made like that it would most probably at best be banned from New Zealand markets, and that is where most of the sales would be made.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#14]
Icecap

I agree that it would be a little controversial, and an FPS would be in very poor taste.

But an intelligent strategy game (perhaps in an AOE style) that treated both sides with integrity and was highly educational about the period...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#15]
Looks very nice. What App did you use for the trees? BTW Congratulations for getting that Museum Job, I guess it's a good sign for Blitz to be a tool that is used in public services.

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#16]
The trees came from good old BlitzTrees. It was a bit of hassle getting them in there but they look really awesome once they are animating etc.

So yeah, if you are ever in Christchurch anytime next year call into the museum and check it out, it should be in there by march.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#17]
So where's the moa then?

ICECAP(Posted 2004) [#18]
Haha, I have made it so that the occasional moa runs through the trees, you have too keep an eye out for it though.

Billamu(Posted 2004) [#19]
Taku miiharo (I'm amazed)

I'm Maori. I've considered the FPS idea in a New Zealand setting and given the political views these days and the bad history the only way that you could do one is perhaps to create a ficticious reality where Maori and Europeans fought together against a common foe. An english character could be HRH Soldier and a Maori could be a tohunga (wizard). That way you imply unity and you wind up with a game that although is not historically correct it could attempt to redress issues related to history.

Even then it could be asking for trouble. People are so sensitive these days...

Then again we could Hollywood it up and have Maori and English fighting against futuristic cyborg Moas from hell!

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#20]
Unless you were an ex-pat kiwi living in Australia and thought a maori vs european strategy wargame would be a great idea..

/me fetches his notebook...