Operation 600: Soviet Ressurection

Community Forums/Showcase/Operation 600: Soviet Ressurection

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#1]
I've started a sci-fi game set in 2015. I've been working on this for quite a while, with the basic plot changing often. I think I like this idea.

You are among the 600 remaining US soldiers in the middle of 2015, the beginning of WWIII. The UK has joined with the US to form "Army Overseas" (AOS), and the resurrected Soviet Union has joined forces with Vietnam, Korea, and the rest of Southeastern Asia to form the Asian Liberation Army (ALA). North Africa has formed the Global Annihilation Unit (GAU), along with the Middle East.

Fight to the death in many places all over the world. Every nation in the world is included in this war, directly or not. Face terrifying betrayals, victorious accomplishments, and humiliating defeats. But tower over all in another generation of World War.

SCREENSHOTS:

And a download:
Operation 600: Soviet Ressurection - Includes source. 7.46 MB
Worklog:
Operation 600: Soviet Ressurection

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#2]
Can't see the pics... I hope you'll get this done before 2015 - it's only 10 years away :P

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#3]
Digital, change the .jpg to .JPG

The case of the extension matters :o)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#4]
Looks pretty good. Yes, use JPG instead of jpg, it's a linux or unix server, case sensitive paths.

JaviCervera(Posted 2004) [#5]
Oh, and can't you be the Soviet soldiers? I would prefer that much more.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#6]
You'll be able to chose 3 campaigns. Soviets, Middle East, AOS (UK and US).

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#7]
There, updated the pics.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#8]
I've got a download ready. Try it out!
http://www.noenemies.com/OP006.zip
7.46 megs

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#9]
Anybody try it out yet? Oh - too big. Ah well.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#10]
I just realized I've made 3\5 of the replies. The other 2\5 were about the pictures that didn't show up.

Must not be a very popular game - then again, what was I thinking?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#11]
Probably because the screenshots doesn't realy show much happening. Just a level and a gun. Do you have an enemies running around or anything?

Pepsi(Posted 2004) [#12]
Hi Digital, I had to hunt down your mainloop source code in the folder thats something like... OP006\Documents and Settings\Steven\Mine! mine!\Games\Written Programs\Operation 600\ ... and then copy it way back to the OP006\Operation 600 to be able to run the code from the editor. The game ran pretty slow on my dated Athlon 1.2g cpu, 768meg Ram, 64meg Geforce4 MX 420 video card system. I didnt hear any sounds or see any bad guys... I assume thats not in yet. Do you have some kind of occlussion method to show only parts of the level? Didnt feel like it... just guessing there.

Looks like you got a good start at displaying a generic level. Also the bullet system looks like it's in place. At the beginning of the game there seems to be some kind of color fade of the screen, is that suppose to happen? Wasn't quite sure to make of it as, again, the game was slow for me unfortunitly.

I didnt exactly catch what happened, I believe a timer ran out and the screen is suppose to turn red?

Hope this review helps out somehow. Keep at it. The idea of the game sounds interesting. :)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#13]
Hey, just ran your demo. I'm pushing 100,000 polys here. You might want to segment your level a bit.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#14]
how?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#15]
lower the camerarange and use a level that is made of several segments. Keep track on TrisRendered(). Use lowpoly Models whenever possible. (your guns seem to be pretty high poly, make sure to HideEntity the ones that are not in use)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#16]
The guns are hidden, except the one that is shown :P

I made the level in Maplet. I know I must "segment" my level, but I'm not quite sure what that means. I assume it means to create five different meshes out of my level, and combine them, though I might be wrong.

And yes, the guns are high-poly (I think) because I used models from the UT2004 Prefablab.

JKP(Posted 2004) [#17]
You really should include an exe so that people don't have to compile it.

BTW your web site was down earlier.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#18]
OK, I'll include an exe - this was originally a beta, and I was just sharing it with the programmers within No Enemies. But now that the game is going to be public, I'll include an *.exe on the next update. Thank you for all the support.

Does the game work on ANY computer? It works fine on mine, and I don't even have a graphics card and I only have a 2.5Ghz processor.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#19]
Pepsi - yes, there is a game timer (100 secs, I think) I don't understand why you had the problem with the files. hmmm....

Yes, we haven't put the enemies in place, we've really just been working on a basic algorithm. Cermit is making a human enemy model for the game, and we are going to put it in place. As most programmers know, AI is the most complicated part of computer programming and we haven't yet accomplished it.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#20]
Does anyone have any media used for a sci-fi game?

N(Posted 2004) [#21]
Nothing I can give you, unfortunately.

Anyhow, does it use Lotus? I've been working on some effects packs for Lotus- it's fun.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#22]
Yeah, I've been trying for it to use Lotus, but I can't really figure it out. I'll work on it, for now I'm using simple particle effects I made myself.

po(Posted 2004) [#23]
Cool, where did you get the gun models?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#24]
Prefablab of UT2004.

http://www.planetunreal.com/prefablab/gallery.html

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#25]
po - if you don't want to download each model individually, download the full game.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#26]
Can you use them in your projects legally?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#27]
probably not

they are just placeholders for now if so.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#28]
I've still working on this project, though it has been postponed for a while - I'm working on a Checknya school incident simulation. Just the thought of that is creepy.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#29]
I'm working on the music for the game.