Super Blitz Bros [working title!]

Community Forums/Showcase/Super Blitz Bros [working title!]

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#1]
All,

Some of you may have noticed that my sig recently changed from RETIRED to (SEMI-)RETIRED as I started to find some time to get back into Blitz. With Par FORE! now a distant memory and in the much more capable hands of GfK, it was time to embark on a new project.

Presenting... SUPER BLITZ BROS!

[Note: Please ignore horrible place-holder sprites, I've only been working on this one night and couldn't be bothered to make a decent one!]

It's a fairly simple 3D platformer where you have to collect the stars on the level, avoiding the monsters as you go. Yes, kind of like Pacman I suppose, but I intend to add a few more bits and pieces to it yet.

But... why the "BROS" bit in the title? Well, that's there for split-screen multiplayer...

You will be able to play with any combination of 1 through 4 players! The control method selection stuff is sure to be a royal pain in the backside, but should be worth it.

And that's all there is to show right now, I'm afraid, I hope you all like it!

Cheers,

Ryan

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#2]
Really cool

Any download?

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#3]
Not yet I'm afraid, only been working on it tonight like I said! Lots more stuff still to add and the first demo will probably be single-player only while I work on the front-end to set up the controls for all the players.

Start investing in USB joypads now though!

Cheers,

Ryan

GfK(Posted 2004) [#4]
Why don't you make it into 3D Bomberman? That'd rule. :)

Par Fore's coming along nicely, btw. I'll get a demo to you soon. :D

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#5]
To cel-shade or not to cel-shade, THAT is the question!

Here is a pic of the game in it's current state with the main character cel-shaded:

What do people think?

Also I've just decided that players in the multi-player mode will be able to shoot at each other, getting hit by one of these blasts will result in the victim being knocked back by the force of it and chances are they'll end up in the water! Sneaky, eh?!

Cheers,

Ryan

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#6]
I like the striking look of the cel-shaded character better than normal shading, but you have to fixe up the other textures to match. The water in particular.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#7]
I like the cel-shading too. Much cooler.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#8]
Cel-shading looks very nice.
Definietly the water should look a bit more lively.

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#9]
Thanks for the comments peeps, the other textures are very much place-holders at the moment (no offence to the creators!) as they don't really fit with the feel of the rest of the game.

Cel-shading it is then!

Cheers,

Ryan

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#10]
Been hacking in the enemies that will chase you around the level trying to prevent you collecting all their precious coins!

Also been hacking in the controls for the multi-player mode and am sorely tempted at the moment to have NO keyboard support at all. That's right, joypad (or joystick) only!

Why? Well, having spent many years as a PC gamer I am now increasingly gravitating towards console gaming where, obviously, you use a joypad. So naturally when I play a game like this I expect to use a joypad!

It also means I don't have to worry about things like redefining keys, keyboard lock-ups when too many keys are pressed (that annoying beep thing that you get) and things like stickykeys or other stuff getting upset.

Hmmmm...

Ryan

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#11]
Changed the coins to diamonds, much lower poly-count!

Cheers,

Ryan

Panno(Posted 2004) [#12]
cel shading looks better , imho

Steve Elliott(Posted 2004) [#13]
Looking good - but I'd use stars rather than diamonds

poopla(Posted 2004) [#14]
Aye, stars would be cool.

Diablo(Posted 2004) [#15]
i would use mushrooms

aab(Posted 2004) [#16]
I'd use Health Ups from Metroid...
Or TriForces...
Or Master Cheif Helmets....
or just diamonds..

Do they rotate?

Steve Elliott(Posted 2004) [#17]
Diamonds? Look like peices of toast to me - use stars. ;-)

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#18]
And make them smaller. Right now they're too visually dominant, especially considering they are featureless yellow.

rsbrowndog(Posted 2005) [#19]
Not much to show as a lot of the work has been "behind-the-scenes", but here is the latest shot:

Check my worklog for info on what I've been doing, but a demo should not be far off!

Cheers,

Ryan

_PJ_(Posted 2005) [#20]

3D Bomberman

Watch this space..... (well, not for about a year :( )

anyway, rsbrowndog, that looks like fun. Kinda reminiscent of mariokart snes graphics (not a criticism), I like it!

ImaginaryHuman(Posted 2005) [#21]
Hey, for your one-player game, you don't necessarily have to have all of the game area on screen at once. You can just show 1 quarter of the play area at a time, and then as the player moves around you scroll the screen.

When the player is at the far left edge you should be able to just about past the left edge of the game area, and when he moves all the way to the right edge you should just be able to see past the right edge fo the game area.

If you were doing this in 2D you would create a 640x480 display for example, and then a 640*2 x 480*2 game world image, and then basically the X offset for scrolling the gameworld is = to the players X loation in the gameworld, scaled to fit within 640 pixels. You know what I mean, right?

CodeD(Posted 2005) [#22]
Make those 'toast' diamonds into powdered toast!! Give em shiny sparkly particle effects. And also you should integrate a 3d engine comparable to Half-Life 2. Don't forget the bump mapping!! Bonus Points: game should be able to give you a virtual shiatsu massage.
Have this complete by next week...
GO!