Super Tank Bonaparte Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Super Tank Bonaparte Demo

revoincubus(Posted 2004) [#1]
3D shooter mayhem!!

Those alien overlords have overstepped their bounds and assaulted the Earth. Lay waste to HORDES of alien scum. Super Tank Bonaparte is a return to the intensity and joy of classic 2D shooters like SmashTV.

Demo Graphical Upgrade 1 released:
New greenies and a reborn Super Tank!

Demo Graphical Upgrade 2 released:
Weapon system reworked.
Monsters now get harder to kill.
Ground hit particle effect now proportional to level of weapon upgrade.
Skybox added, just because it's pretty.
Splash effect now in use.
PowerUps now easier to collide with:)
Picking up PowerUps generates a pickup signature.
Treads now reorient when jumping.

Upcoming Updates:
Fully animated treads!
New Monster Types
The Beginnings of "Story Mode"

Latest Demo available here

http://home.nc.rr.com/sheerjoy/Demo/STBDemo.zip

Web page here with plenty of good Screenshots!!

http://home.nc.rr.com/sheerjoy/

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
bonaparte? some screenies pls :)

revoincubus(Posted 2004) [#3]
Would love to provide screenshots, but how do I get the Screenshots into the post?

Sorry, but I don't post a lot.
The Blitzcoder Showcase has screenshots though

The use of the name Bonaparte is in homage to Shirow Masamune's Dominion tank police. His creation was simple and beautiful, and he made the tank a real character in the story itself without falling back on a "talking tank".

GfK(Posted 2004) [#4]
Your screenshots on Blitzcoder do not work. Your showcase entry is throwing up a password dialog.

You might want to sort this out.

[edit] Oh, and do you think you could possibly find webspace with any more ads on? That's completely ridiculous.

revoincubus(Posted 2004) [#5]
Very sorry for all the link issues and bad hosting. These problems have been fixed and there should be no further issues. Gfk, thanks for pointing out the messed up links man.

With these problems resolved nothing else should detract from your enjoyment of the game :)

Enjoy All

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#6]
Looks cool, nice particle stuff. keep up the good work.

revoincubus(Posted 2004) [#7]
Thanks jfk,
The encouragement is nice. With the basic gameplay elements into the tweaking stage, I can now focus on the graphics. So a lot more graphical upgrades are on the way. The particle stuff was strangely some of the easiest bits of code. Mouse controls for the turret are giving me an ulcer :(

Ethan3850(Posted 2004) [#8]
Grrrrr! How dare you transport my precious Bonaparte in to an alternate dimension and forget the Vulcan Cannon!. Me and Leona are going to come round and beat you up!

I like your terrain etc...they go well with the tank - the aliens (and to a certain extent the column) stand out too much. What's up with the globe of the earth btw - is it meant to be a display (and that shape!)?

Nice so far though.

revoincubus(Posted 2004) [#9]
The column on the right represents the tanks jump fuel, which empties and refills based upon your activating the jump jets (inspired by the scene where bonaparte jumps over the cannon shot). The globe is one of my favorite ideas!!! As the future of life on earth depends upon your players actions, the player's health is represented by a model of the earth. As the player takes damage, the planet fades and the sun goes dim. When it vanishes you die, as do the hopes and dreams of the whole human race. Sorry you don't like the evil greenies, I think they are well in keeping with the idea of an over-the-top 3D shooter. The shape was a little forced. Artistic technique called "forced perspective". Seems to add a little more depth and interest to the look. Try downloading and playing, you may find that there is a great deal of bonaparte's personality and spirit in the game.

Ethan3850(Posted 2004) [#10]
I get the column now. What you've done so far works well, the aliens aren't as bad in the game as they look on the screenshots (still think they need work though) and most importantly the tank does what I tell it. I also like the globe after seeing it in action (it's a bit too oval for me still).

When I exit the game it tries to access WindowsExplorer which caused a memory access violation as my firewall blocked it - is there anyway to do what you want without using WE?

You've used a lot of different file formats for your stuff - personally I like to keep stuff in the same format and I'd never use bmp for textures (once you get some serious detail on them the file size will rocket).

Keep up the good work.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#11]
Great game - I would just make the tank a bit bigger and the aliens a tad bit smaller.

revoincubus(Posted 2004) [#12]
Sainhofi - Glad you liked it onced played. Yeah, those bitmaps are gonna go. If nothing else it'll help out the distro size. Not sure about the WE thing. Gotta be Terabit's Datapacker. I'll look around for something which doesn't cause this issue (maybe it's just the way I'm using it?)

DF- Thanks, I'll look into some scaling and see how it looks.

revoincubus(Posted 2004) [#13]
Hey folks, all those angry words about the evil greenies made them angry and they went and got their SPACESHIPS!!!!

Ok, being serious now, the greenies have been replaced with their finished level one models (though I may alter the ships texture soon). Hope you enjoy the little guys, they move around a little better than their predecessors and so, are more difficult enemies. Also, a few annoying bugs have been worked out.

Have fun!