Cygnus Car Engine

Community Forums/Showcase/Cygnus Car Engine

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey peeps!!!

IM quite exited about this actually...

Its "pretty basic"... but it does some damn fine physics!!!

uses the OLD ODE wrapper (couldnt get the new one to work with it nicely...)

Some multi-vehicle action:

Playing around with mesh's some more

oh, and with a proper track

Not realy too much to put here yet but im going to be putting a demo together real soon.

Parts of this project was helped quite a bit by PsychicParrot (im no good with how cars work.. Dude, i couldnt have got the gears or sounds going without ya!!!)
Also, one of the tracks used at the moment is from a mate of mine Mark "Bow13". we started modeling at the same time but he took off way ahead. The track with the bridge above is made by a guy called James Barsby.. His sites worth checking out but he has been busy going on a year now..

www.realitysideways.com

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#2]
very cool

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#3]

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#4]
Is it stable - I heard bad things about the old ODE wrapper but it could all just be rumours/flames ;)
If so will you be releasing it? Cost?

Very cool BTW :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#5]
I Dont know the entire future of it yet- itd be nice to sell, and if i do, i wont sell it for a lot. I have no idea :)

Its stable, but it has been known to have issues when all of 12+ cars collide. Under that, and its fine.. so its recomended you have no more than 12 cars.

PsychicParrot(Posted 2004) [#6]
I've seen it. It is the future! ;)

namar777(Posted 2004) [#7]
It rocks Damiens engine is one of the best car engines ever; and after seeing it:: the collisions effects on the cars and the particles are just fabulous;; nice work there;; Really excited about it :)

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#8]
Looks very nice! Looking forward to a demo.

>> it has been known to have issues when all of 12+ cars collide

Well who wouldn't. ;)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#9]
Thanks for the kind words. Il get a demo up very soon- probrably the weekend.

Its still missing features like position recording and things (realy easy hence why i didnt do it.. hehe)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#10]
yaya!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#11]
Looking forward to trying this!

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#12]
Hey, you've destroyed my Subaru :)

Seriously though, how are you going about doing realtime car deformation? I've tried it a few times and got some reasonable results, but it always turns out much slower than it should be due to B3D's VertexCoords commands being very slow to use - if you've come up with a different or very cunning method I'd love to know how.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#13]
Have a "plugin" that writes to the mesh info stack, then, you just call "vertexcoords" once, and the whole thing gets updated ;)....

Well, thats theory, ive not gotten around to that yet!

Currently, sadly, its VertexCoords. :/ The visible damage can be disabled though if its an issue, and the particles still work. The use of mesh deformation doesnt bring up much of a slowdown up to a count of 1500 polies.. Dont worry you lot, il release the "crunch" code soon as i finish tweaking it... keep yer eyes on the Code Archives ;)

However, in the event of a problem with a machine, just disable it and itl be fine.

now, the question is, why doesnt blitz have an "updatemesh" function, that updates the meshes at that point, rather than everytime "vertexcoords" is used! :/ oh well...

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#14]
I can't see why the vertex commands are so slow anyway - surely it's just updating a list of numbers somewhere, there's no calculations to perform - I don't think it even updates the normals unless you do it manually or call the updatenormals command.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#15]
Its updating the vertex coordinates, then reuploading the mesh to the GFX card, i think.. its the reuploading that makeas it slow, hence why i beleive an "updatemesh" command could be useful.

Of course, thats the only reason i can see it being slow- if thats not how its being done, thenm someone of higher knowledge help us out here? :)

Chad(Posted 2004) [#16]
Wow, this does look good! If I only saw this an hour ago when I posted in the Blitz3d forum asking about Car Physic engines. Are you going to release this? I'd be really interested in it, also I would love to help any way you need, particularly models and or terrain.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#17]
Any chance of a download link?

(hey Chad - haven't seen you in a while)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#18]
I will get a download up soon- i have something i could put up as a download- i bought it down from 12mb to 1.8mb. Il work on that now :D

Chad(Posted 2004) [#19]
Awesome, thanks Damien.

Back at ya Digital, long time no see.

Drago(Posted 2004) [#20]
Cygnus, I have a dll that changes the Mesh, coords and only needs to call vertexcoords once, (all the info for it is in the DLL atm, but that can be changed if you pass it a bank, or make it work the same way that vertexcoords does (ie I want vertex 3 moved to here, and it wont update the mesh untill the next frame), you would call vertexcoords before you call the newer version. So 1. if you want me to modify it to be able to do this, and 2. Understood a thing I said.
Let me know.

laters Drago

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#21]
Hehe, il read that again in the morn when im so pissed- ive got a few reports that its making Tweening erratic so it might be of use.. Cheers, il let you know :)