Community Project - WWII Game

Community Forums/Showcase/Community Project - WWII Game

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#1]
I've started, with a couple of friends and other people, a WWII computer game. There are lots of WWII computer games, but there isn't a Blitz WWII game yet, AFAIK.

If anyone is willing to contribute, we would love that.

A demo:
OLD
http://www.noenemies.com/EIF/EIF001.zip
REVISION ONE
http://www.noenemies.com/EIF/EIF002.exe
REVISION TWO
http://www.noenemies.com/EIF/EIF003.zip

Please help.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#2]
'unable to set graphics mode' in the exe version
and unable to load terrain heightmap image in the bb version

might be a good idea to set the initial res to 640 x480 for us folks with older/smaller monitors

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#3]
Another little tip. Convert your HUGE Metal Keys.wav to something else, like an .ogg or /mp3 file. You'll cut your file size btw about 70% :o)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yeah, I know. How do I convert it to an .mp3 file?

(free tool)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#5]
Also, i get a memory access voilation error. Try downloading and installing your own file and test it. Seems to be trying to load stuff that ain't there. And remember to change that .wav file to a .ogg file or something :o)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#6]
It works fine here - try the EIF001.zip download....

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#7]
http://www.smartwavconverter.com/?id=ggswc2

Try that program. Only a free trial, but it should be enough to convert your file :o)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#8]
What resolution are you guys using?

The game runs in 1280x1024, but that can be changed...

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#9]
Try 800 x 600. That's a sort of standard res, most ppl can display.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#10]
didnt you get hired by some dude at your school to make a ww2 game?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#11]
Not at my school, some guy from Kansas. (I don't live in Kansas) He's at least 4 years older than me.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#12]
I'm updating my code, it's going to be suitable for 800x600. I know why you are getting "Memory Access Violations." Some of the media was missing, and the folders had got messed up. I'm fixing that.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#13]
I've converted the .wav file to an mp3 file

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#14]
Does anybody like the sound of a WWII game, or should the topic of the game be completely changed?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#15]
It now runs in 800x600....

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#16]
I've completed the second revision:
http://www.noenemies.com/EIF/EIF003.zip

It's actually quite neat. I've been working on this code for about three months, and it turned out nicely.

My dream on BB is to start a Community Project. I hope you guys can make it happen. I admire those who have been working on CP Alien Breed and Project PLASMA FPS.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#17]
I'm available by e-mail, AIM, or MSN if anyone wishes to contact me.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#18]
You'll have a tuff competitor since halo is working on a big project ww2 game too. Usually when you start a community project, you have to show what you're capable of. People tend to join projects that already have a solid substance.

As for your game, the sooner or later you should go with the OGG Sound format since MP3 could make you license troubles.

Just use yahoo to search for "ogg vorbis" and download the original commandline toolset. To convert a wav to ogg you only have to run oggenc.exe with the wavs filename as a parameter, eg: oggenc mysound.wav.

Anyway, good luck with your project.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#19]
Personally I'd like to see one community project done before another is started... And I'm really looking forward to the alien breed game.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#20]
im keeping my fingures crossed for a cartoony 3rd person platformer to start up..when alien breed is finished

i would love to get involved in a 3d platformer

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#21]
After converting the metal keys.wav to mp3 you now need to delete the metal keys.wav file from the archive!

I'll keep an eye on this...

EDIT: Forgot to say that I think there is certainly room for more than one community project to be running at any one time. The Alien Breed project is looking VERY impressive, as was Jump Around before it, but at the same time it's not every one's kinda thing so there will naturally be people who are not interested in working on that project who would be up for an FPS. Or a 3D platformer as someone else mentioned...

Cheers,

Ryan

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2004) [#22]
I think it's reasonable that there could be more than one project on the go, but I'd suggest one 3D one 2d at any one time.

Although having said that, I still think there's some mileage in the idea of separating the rendering engine from the alien breed project out and having the option of running it in 2D / 3D...

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#23]
A very interesting idea Mark has there!

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#24]
Very interesting.....

Has anyone seen my demo yet? ( EIF003.zip )

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#25]
Tried the demo Digital, runs very slow here =/

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#26]
odd....works fine here...

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#27]
Now I've got a problem with the code.

When the enemies fire, their bullets orbit around them, instead of going in straight paths. How can I fix this?

Code: http://www.noenemies.com/EIF/EIF003.zip

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#28]
If it's very slow on Shamblers Radeon 9700Pro, you really shoulda optimize the speed.

I didn't test it since I rarely test Demos, but I guess it's an open terrain outdoor thing? Well, there is one real problem with outdoor stuff: the camerarange. There is only few methods to prevent the player looking down from a mountain and force the rendering of thousands of things, which will slow things down dramaticly, so try:

-fog

but people hate Fog as a trick to reduce the camerarange, so an other method, as seen eg. in the Lithtech engine is:

Create the level in a way that the player will never be able to have a long viewrange, You can do this by:

- use Rocks, Trees, steep slopes, walls, etc. to prevent the player from climbing higher zones. Force him to remain in natural or sythetical valleys.

This way you can reduce the camerarange to something very low, and this will help you to automaticly occlude entities that are far away, nevertheless it gives the player a feeling of a wide outdoor area.

Needless to say that you have to prevent all kinds of heavy Polycount, use only lowpoly meshes.

If you are useing FLE, the Landscape editor, there have been an early version that used to save the terrain in two parts: one part was the bottom mesh, and the second part was all layers that are ontop of the bottom mesh. This way it's possible to assign Collision only to the bottom Mesh, this will be faster too.

Also don't turn off mipmaping for vegetation (I've seen this several times), it will make things much slower too. Instead use masked Leaf Textures that are using a green maskcolor (using an alpha channel to mask it, 23bit TGA), this will prevent dark contours of the masked textures perfectly.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#29]
How would I fix the rotating bullets?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#30]
I'm not knocking this in anyway, and i apologise if it sounds that way. But me personally, i wouldn't really join a community project with someone who can't get bullets to fire correctly, as it a fairly easy thing. Again, i'm not knocking you here, but making a game is a big effort. Good luck regardless though. Would be nice to see a 3d community project.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#31]
I guess the bullet is parented to the enemy. In that case you have to unparent them in the moment when they are fired, EntityParent bullet,0.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#32]
thanks....

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#33]
They still spin.

You should know how to make the bullets fire then, right, Ross C?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#34]
Ok, Moderators, delete the post. My dream is ruined.

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#35]
but there isn't a Blitz WWII game yet

I've been working on one as it happens, not that it's a commercial masterpiece or anything. I haven't really announced it yet but seeing as you are after such a beast here's some screenies...
http://www.bansheestudios.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=2

It's a turn based affair.

Shame you've given up on your so early :( Don't suppose you've got any media I can use at all?

andy@...

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#36]
I'm actually desperate for media.

And it seems as though no one wants to continue this.

DELETE THE POST. I DON'T WANT IT HERE.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#37]
dont give up so easy Digital Fortress. Just carry on working on it and try again later when you have got it to a more advanced state. you have to be damned determined to make it in games.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#38]
Yeah, don't give up so easy. What do you think how hard is it going to be to create an entire fullfledged game? If you give up so quickly, you won't even finish the logo for the project.

A suggestion: get the Darkmatter CD from amazone.co.uk , it contains some nice ww2 content. you could also purchase Halo's ww2 models package that contains some HiQ ww2 models too.

But basicly I have to say: A bullet doesn't "spin" unless you make it spin. I have no idea how your code looks, but as you say, it orbits around the enemy who fired it - WTF, all you need to do is create a bullet mesh, point it to the target, and then
MoveEntity bullet,0,0,1,0
it every frame until it hits the target or anytghing else.

I agree, you need to become familar with this low level stuff unless you want to be the "somebody has to make coffe" guy in a team.

That means you need to code a lot, write your own code, understand every single command of a program. Copy/Paste from cool archive snippets is nice, but sometimes it prevents you from learning.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#39]
hey Digital. I just tried out your program, I'm really impressed by what you have done so far, considering your age and stuff. Keep on it man, you will one day be as good as any pro programmer. But wonders aren't made in such a little time.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#40]
Thanks puki, Ruz, and jfk.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#41]
My point was basically what jfk was saying. I'm not knocking you. Just trying to make you aware of some things. I certainly will have a look at why your bullets spin, if there's any code to look at.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#42]
I noticed something here. Your hiding an entity, then deleting the type object, which will cause a memory leak. You need to free the badguy.

For biter.bullettype = Each bullettype
		If CountCollisions(biter\entityhandle) > 0
			badguyhit = EntityCollided(biter\entityhandle, 3)
			For badguysearch.badguytype = Each badguytype
				If badguyhit = badguysearch\entityhandle
					If badguysearch\state <> 5
						If biter\from = 1
							badguysearch\state = 5
							RotateEntity badguysearch\entityhandle, 0, 0, 180
							kills = kills + 1
							TranslateEntity badguysearch\entityhandle, 0, -1, 0
							HideEntity badguysearch\entityhandle ; you hide the entity
							Delete badguysearch ; then delete it, without FREEING it.
							Exit
						EndIf
					EndIf
				EndIf
			Next
			FreeEntity biter\entityhandle
			Delete biter
		EndIf
	Next

If your code was split up into functions a bit more, it would be easier for you to spot mistakes too. You sohuld try and work on your code layout. Can help alot sometimes :o)

cermit(Posted 2004) [#43]
The Demo looks nice. I dunno if this is a very good idea but it might work, use camerapick/entitypick instead of a bullet type then you wont have any trouble with spinning bullets.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#44]
Yeah, we're working on the functions, all we have now is "UpdateCamera()" and "UpdateGUI()."

Ross C, about the "freeing" thing, would I just do:
FreeEntity badguysearch\entityhandle

and put that somewhere in that For...Next loop?

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#45]
jfk - that "MoveEntity" thing is exactly what I did.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#46]
The guy who hired me to do this is cancelling the project. I have started work on a sci-fi shooter if anyone is willing to help me with that.

Email - see sig
MSN - steven@...
AIM - BabylonianShard

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#47]
cancelling the project? how can he do that, didn't you make a contract?

Anyway, I made a little bullet thing some time ago, check this out:
http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=559

And I really suggest, don't start too many projects.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#48]
We've actually changed the project into something new, but he doesn't need much of my help on that.

And I'm really only working on the sci-fi shooting by default. Anything new comes in first priority.