W.I.P : Video of lying of sun

Community Forums/Showcase/W.I.P : Video of lying of sun

Eole(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi

For a long time I had not posted anything and due

So just small a video (10Mo), of the engine of environment of WAR (Video of lying of sun) , WAR will be a RTS on which we work with OrcEpic and Wako3D Sorry the comments are in French.

to download the video click on the link below
http://www.3dgametool.com/Nico/WAR/war.wmv

For those which do not have the courage to download it :

poopla(Posted 2004) [#2]
I'd think about building a routine to blur the bottom edge of the horizon. Looks nice though.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#3]
this is real cool...

one thing i noticed, and i had the same problem when doing a seascape, was... the horizon 'rising' as the viewpoint rised above the ground (sea)...

look at the sunset... it goes below the horizon way to high above the what should be a mopre realistic looking horizon terminator...

i wound up using a skydome to restict the view...

--Mike

Eole(Posted 2004) [#4]
pthank,

may be with a little blur function ... like Dev saying ...

poopla(Posted 2004) [#5]
You could use a second texture as an alpha channel, with a wave of sorts on the bottom edge, then scroll it horizontally. That would be a good start.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#6]
Eole...

take a look at what i'm trying to explain above... has nothing to do with what Dev is pointing out...

--Mike

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#7]
I don't agree with Red. It's fine where it is. It depends on where the view happens to be pointing.

I think it just should be blurred so that there is no definitive line at the horizon.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#8]
You need a line of light cast by the sun down the water, that would look great and would make the horizon look less like a boring old solid line.
Looks nice so far though :)

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#9]
I think it's reddish fog on the water that's causing that effect. Try setting the entityFX flag for the sea to not be affected by fog. Might look daft though, depending on what your doing :o)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#10]
well Ron... look at where the viewpoint is in the original shot... clearly above the ground... and they are on a hill, and not in a valley... i think....

--Mike

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#11]
It looks as if the sun is resting in a pocket.

I agree with Red Ocktober.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#12]
Yeah the sun definatly needs to be moved down
looks good though

Eole(Posted 2004) [#13]
Sorry my english is very poor, and I don't understand that you want to explain to me

you say that the sun is too high compared to the color?

I just want to point out that it is for an engine for an RTS, therefore it is not the point paramount....

sswift(Posted 2004) [#14]
Eole:

"Lying of sun" is incorrect.

"Lying" means not telling the truth.

You mean "setting".

IE:
"This is the setting of the sun"

But a better way of saying it would be:

"This is a sunset." or "This is the sunset." or "This is the sun, setting."

As for what is wrong with your sunset... NOTHING is wrong with it...

The reaosn it looks like it does is because EOLE has the FOG set to be too close to the viewer. All he has to do is chang CAMERAFOGRANGE to be more far away. The sun is being clipped by the plane, but the fog range is set so low that the fog stops getting more foggy really close to the camera.

Eole:
Increase CAMERAFOGRANGE.

Eole(Posted 2004) [#15]
ah ok, thank a lot Sswift ...

It's very difficult to increase because I must change the occlusion setting (and the fps go down). I will try to increase it when then sun is in the camera view and near the sunset ...

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#16]
Yeah, just as i said, fog :o)

sswift(Posted 2004) [#17]
Eole:
If you can't change the fog distance, then change the size of the water itself.

Using a plane for water is a bad idea. A plane will extend under your terrain and then you will have 2x overdraw when looking at the terrain. Also if you have a skysphere now you have the skysphere drawn, then the plane, then the terrain.

You should have a hemisphere or a half-cube for your sky, and the water should be made out of a mesh which doesn't have polygons that extend under your terrain very far.

Then you can make your horizon as close to the camera as you want, and the fog will look right.

Filax(Posted 2004) [#18]
hum hum

Eole(Posted 2004) [#19]
I don't understand evry thing, so I ask for someone to translate exactle that you said lol

Eole(Posted 2004) [#20]
>and the water should be made out of a mesh which doesn't >have polygons

I don't understand how is possible ....

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#21]
eole... the sun is not ok... it is positioned tooo high... nothing to do with color or fog or anything...

take the darn fog out of the equation entirely, make the camera moveable in the y axis (up and down), then move the camera up while running the scene...

now move it down to the sea level...

it looks right the close to sea level you get...

now move it up again...

as you go up the horizon seems rise as well... and it shouldn't.

look at some photos of a sunset and you'll see what i mean...

in the real world the horizon is falling away (downward) because of the curvature of the earth... your pic looks as if you are inside a hollowed out sphere, and the horizon is rising...

but, hey... if it looks alright to you, then leave it as is...

i'm just trying to help... i've been down this path before, i've been making nothing but ocean stuff for the past 2 years... the sun is positioned too high...

... well, at least to me it does.

maybe my glasses need cleaning... :)

--Mike

sswift(Posted 2004) [#22]
" >and the water should be made out of a mesh which doesn't >have polygons

I don't understand how is possible .... "

Doesn't have polygons THAT EXTEND UNDER THE TERRAIN.

In other words:

Make a mesh that is a grid, instead of a plane.

Then, delete the polygons which are completely under the terrain.

Don't ask me how to determine which polygons are under the terrain. :-)

It may be easier to use the height data from the terrain to make a second terrain grid mesh that is flat but only contains those grid squares which have a vertex which is below water level.

Eole(Posted 2004) [#23]
@Red October
All the problem comes from the fog, because if I do not put any more, the problem no longer exist

If I put the less high sun his ressoud the problem, but the effect is not pretty, if one is on the dimension

I will try some setting, and I'll post another message ..

@Sswift
>In other words:
>Make a mesh that is a grid, instead of a plane.
>Then, delete the polygons which are completely under the >terrain.
>Don't ask me how to determine which polygons are under the >terrain. :-)
Ah ok, it's very simple to do :-), but how m

Thank for your help

Banshee(Posted 2004) [#24]
Considering gameplay is over the land not the sea you guys are really missing the point. Why perfect the sun setting over the water, clearly it is meant for when it is setting over the land :)

Eole, the routine is excellent and your fauna handling system is also excellent and very dense. I look forward to seeing more of this.

Eole(Posted 2004) [#25]
thank you, I go try to improve a little, but it is not a crucial point.

when the game play will be here ...