New Blitz Dot3 BumpMapping

Community Forums/Showcase/New Blitz Dot3 BumpMapping

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#1]
vids have been taken down, i need the space... they were up for a while and everyone who were interested got a good chance to see em

sorry guys... i'm really into this stuff now...

please take a look at and critique these short (750K) videos... this time an innocent brick wall gets the treatment...

daylit...

http://home.att.net/~mikey102/BlitzDot3LtBricks.wmv

dark, with flashlight (candle) on

http://home.att.net/~mikey102/BlitzDot3DkBricks.wmv

broadband users just click

dialup users right click and save target as...

--Mike

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#2]
definitely getting better. I think my main concern is the strength of the white highlight overall, seesm a bit sharp, but its looking alot more 3d now. good stuff
perhaops laso you could use a differnt texture for the bump, ie a more general detaiil pattern. Is it possible ot ovrlay textures also?

angel martinez(Posted 2004) [#3]
Are you using normal maps converted with the nvidia plugin?
Also I would like to ask you about your experience with 3DGS
and if you think it is a good engine-system.I know it has shaders now (in A6 version).
Thanks

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#4]
getting there... slowly, eh Ruz :)

i've found that the lighting effect on the models can be controlled by several things... multiple light sources, the light range, and the strength and 'blueness' of the normal map..

angel... i'm using a simple utility written by on of the guys here... to convert a photo to a normal map, it does a good enough job.

3DGS... verrrry nice pre compiled shadow maps, so verrrry nice looking scenes are easily done...

scripting will take a lot of searching as the references are a lil vague, but the forums are full of helpfull postings.

as far as shaders, there are shaders, then there are shaders... even though DB and 3DGS boasts that they are implemented already, they are still not quite ready for prime time just yet... and unless you are adept at writing them, you will be dependant on contributions of skilled and generous users in each camp...

for example, static lighting for one of the bumpmapping shaders in 3DGS works for level geometry (static lighting only at the moment), but the one for models is just coming to code completion by one of the talented developers over there (should react to dynamic lighting and mulitple lights).

so there you have it...

if only the iD engine was only $100 per seat :)

--Mike