Skinny bob the Jester Demo

Community Forums/Showcase/Skinny bob the Jester Demo

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#1]
Finally got around to releasing the demo
dl is 9.88 MB( 17MB unzipped)

http://www.skinnybobthejester.com/

Hope you like it. lots of things to fix , but not enough time to do it.
Thanks to AGore for his great effort and cool editor.
feedback is appreciated

puki(Posted 2004) [#2]
Yeh, "Ruz" is my pal.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#3]
It crashes here.

Played first game, didn't know what to do, got killed by some fat bloke in about 6s.

Restarted game and it got stuck at the loading screen. Had to CTRL+ALT+DEL. :/

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#4]
Where can I get this "cool editor" and what can this "cool editor" do?

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#5]
VERY nice looking... but as you said needs some fixing...
it seems a bit boring at it's current state. Also the enemies seems to have no brains :)

btw. can the character jump?

Otherwise .... great job with the gfx.

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#6]
It worked perfectly here.

Pros:

The graphics imo were exellent. They are nice and bright and the game has a good quality cartoony feel to it. The character animations were beleivable and didn't look robotic. The control system was easy to use and it would be nice to implement joypad or joystick support. The level design was good.

Cons:

The enemies got stuck in trees or were forever stuck and trying to walk through walls. It seems like the path finding system is not coded properly. Also, some of the enemies were impervious to attack. No matter how many times I shot at them they would not flinch or seem to die. There were alot of closed doors. It would be nice to have doors that open allowing you to go in all the building. A view from the mill would have been good.

Overall the demo could have been more polished with things working properly but aside from that it's looking very promising.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#7]
yup, character can jump, (right alt)
I noticed on a slower pc, the loading screen gets a little stuck, but on my higher end machine it seems to have no probs
There is sometimes a MAV when you try and restart also.

Basically we stopped working on it a while ago, but I just thought it would be good to put it out anyway.

Next time we do a demo we will focus more on the gameplay side of it,rather than just the pretty graphics side

I agree with you Amon , would have liked to have polished it more, but I went and had to get a job he he
I think the enemies don't take hits soemtimes when you hit them from certain angles, (perhaps a collision problem).if you get closer they seem to get hit easier

GfK(Posted 2004) [#8]
I noticed on a slower pc, the loading screen gets a little stuck, but on my higher end machine it seems to have no probs
My system isn't exactly low-end.

Also noticed that the installer only creates a shortcut to uninstall the game - it doesn't create one so you can actually play it??

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#9]
Yeah I said 'my' high end machine, not yours.
I have that problem more on my older pc , so I just assumed that 'was' the problem

ah well, I might have to go through the installer stuff again this weekend, did it in a screaming hurry.

Dock(Posted 2004) [#10]
Great demo Ruz, it's really impressive! The feeling of the level being 'solid' is really well captured, and the large animated character model is fantastic. Was it difficult to get the camera working? It seems very good also.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#11]
cheers dock,didn't code the camera, think it was adapted from the smooth cam in marks castle demo.

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#12]
i got stuck when jumping between a tree and a hedge and couldn’t move or land, some collision issues there ..of which i can appreciate how hard it it is to do. Could still use the smart/delay cam so we could see the character from the front and side
overall its still the best 3rd person platformer demo ive seen :)

puki(Posted 2004) [#13]
I love it so much - I shall claim it as my love-child.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#14]
It runs hella slow on my pc... (check sig)

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#15]
Real killer looks, I like the moves on the jester especially.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#16]
Wonderful demo! This is perfect inspiration for my projects.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#17]
It still runs smoothly for me, the Beta did also.

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#18]
Nice Game!

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#19]
damn, in my hurry to get this out, I forgot to export the interior of the room .
I will redo the export tonight

cermit(Posted 2004) [#20]
Yay! I'll try it emediatly when i get home :)

Dock(Posted 2004) [#21]
Loaded the demo again and I'm noticing a few more details like the robot bird flying around. It runs a little slower on the GF3 I have at work (than my ATI 9600 at home), but still runs very smoothly.

Is the environment just one big b3d file, or did you piece it together from various Entities? Were there any difficulties with collision? I'm curious as to how you went about building this. :)

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#22]
Don't forget you can change the resolutions in the options menu if you are having any problems running in high res

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#23]
it ran fine for me at 1024x768@32bpp

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#24]
yeah, same for me at work , but my more powerful home computer runs it a bit slow at that res. Must be my crappy graphcs card

Algo(Posted 2004) [#25]
Dock: The environment is mostly one big b3d, but things like trees, hay bails and barrels are all seperate objects placed in an editor and given attributes etc. Yeah there are still problems with collisions as tiler mentioned, mostly to do with the fact that the characters have elliptical collision areas instead of cylindrical.

puki(Posted 2004) [#26]
Download it again? - sniffing nora.

I love it though - has an RPG feel to it - I like the graphics style.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#27]
yeah sorry puki. my 'haste' was my undoing. I did it proper this time.
nice little icon and desktop shortcut.I put the room interiors back in too ( doh)

I am even reconsidering abandoning this project after getting loads of feedback at work today .

VIP3R(Posted 2004) [#28]
Just turn that feedback into a positive :)

Use the feedback.. Luke

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#29]
well they were quite honest about it and gave some nice ideas for improvements to gameplay...
things like slapping enemies with a large fish for one

Algo(Posted 2004) [#30]
I like the idea of fish based weapony, what type of fish?

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#31]
wel i already have a fish done somehwere and it suits the style perfectly, so i will try and hunt it down. Hopefully it survived my numerous harddrive crashes

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#32]
Fantastic work!

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#33]
thanks JFK, been playing your demos at work to, he he

revoincubus(Posted 2004) [#34]
Fabulous demo!

The level of detail is great. Had to drop the resolution to get a good framerate, but it still looked wonderful. Nice modelling, lots of little touches, solid controls.
Tremendous work.

Hardware: P4/2.6 Ghz, ATI radeon 9800pro, 1Gb Ram

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#35]
thanks, we are doing some more work on it now

Panno(Posted 2004) [#36]
my tipp of the month !