Tank Universal

Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Universal

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi all

Been working on level 4. The screenshot's from my dodgy editor and the graphics for the level's still in development, so don't take it as final.

Basically the player (in this level), is in a simple maze. By driving through the red beams, the player can change them to blue (and also replenish shields). For every beam changed to blue, the player gets an AI controlled tank as an ally. The AI needs some tweaking, but it's not too shabby, and can give a few deadly surprises. Keeping an eye on the radar is crucial.

Likewise, the red tanks are doing the same. New tanks appear at the edges of the maze. The red team have nasty laser bolt spitting tanks too and so have an advantage.

The aim the level is to change all the beams to blue and wipe out the red team. Once done, the player can trigger a final switch and exit the level.

Have incorporated big10p's Screen interference effect, and this works really well for giving a visual clue (i.e. lines of static) when taking 'splash damage' from nearby explosions. Thanks big10p ;-)

In-game shot

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
Good to see this is still going! You've been very quiet for a while!

elseano(Posted 2004) [#3]
Wow this looks like it's going to be a really great game! Keep up the good work MadJack! :D

aab(Posted 2004) [#4]
Yeah, the designs are really sweet

GNS(Posted 2004) [#5]
Excellent stuff MadJack. Can't wait to play the full thing. :)

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#6]
Thanks guys

As an afterhours project, it's always a struggle to get something done each day and this has taken bloody years! Still, it will get finished and this next year is crunch year. I'm feeling optimistic about it - particularly with BMax arriving shortly.

It's been a long haul mostly because;

1, as a complete newbie, I've had to bone up on basic programming, AI, pathfinding, modelling, texturing, animation, surfaces/brushes, level design, soundfx design/creation, game design, particle fx. Lots to learn - long hours spent reading up on websites.

2, getting a final workpath up and running for art and sound assets. Lots of deadends and testing.

3, not having a set design doc. Think this kills a lot of projects. Excitement at discovering blitz leads to overoptimistic game scope (e.g. 'our RPG's going to have 50 different kinds of monsters!')-> then depression at how much work to do -> burnout -> then project dumped in favour of new project ('with 50 different kinds of aliens!'). Was going to have a complete FPS component but have now dumped that in favour of focussing on the tank combat and feel much more comfortable about finishing as a result.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#7]
How did you make that editor?

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#8]
As an afterhours project, it's always a struggle to get something done each day and this has taken bloody years!

:) I konow EXACTLY how you feel... glad to see you pushing this forward, even if it takes tīsome time. Sure is looking to be one of the better Blitz3D projects when it's ready.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#9]
How did you make that editor?

'How did you make that editor? '

Err, well I programmed it, in Blitz3d(?)

Basically it lets me import lightwave files (courtesy of Terrabit's lightwave importer), add entities, specify a number of properties for them, calculate vertex lighting for the level, and saves out a data file (for the entities) and a series of B3d files for the level geometry. It's bodgy, prone to bugs, not for public release (that's for sure), but also invaluable in setting up test situations and final solutions for levels.

I don't know about the practice of people writing editors before they start their game proper, but an editor has been invaluable.