Vivid Demos..

Community Forums/Showcase/Vivid Demos..

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#1]
Delete the old topic please, mods, got more than just 2d to show.

Here's a 3d one(And i'll be posting other demos to this thread, not starting new ones so look back here if you're interested)

http://www.excess.eclipse.co.uk/3D_Test5.exe

Demonstrates the vgl loader(On psionics jeep model, exported in milkshape with the exporter availiable in my link. So, you guys can try your own models if you replace it.)

Also, shows how easy it is to copy graphics to a texture, create a texture, and use this to perform full screen motion blur.

Lastly, it shows vivid's static meshes. (This one doesn't use vertex buffers or arrays)

I get around 100fps here.

Include "Includes\VividGL_Lite.bb"
Graphics_Init(512,512,32,2)  ;-- [ Setup screen
Graphics_Setbuffer Graphics_Back() ;-- [ Set our backbuffer.

mblur=Texture_Create2D(512,512)
Texture_Blend mblur,1
Texture_ColorScale mblur,2
Texture_Filter mblur,0
cam=Camera_Create()
Entity_Position cam,0,10,-20

cube=IO_LoadVGL("SmallCar.vgl",20,20,20)
Entity_Color cube,100,100,100
Entity_Paint cube,100,100,100
Entity_ColorMode cube,glColorMode
Entity_CullMode cube,gldisablecull
Entity_compile(cube,compile_static)
Entity_Point cam,cube

While Not KeyDown(1)
Render_Cls(True)

Entity_Render cube
	Entity_Turn cube,-1,2,1
	Entity_Position cube,Cos(aa)*2.5,0,0
	aa=aa+1

Lock_2D()
		Texture_Activate mblur,0
		Render_Color(80,80,80,0.55)
		Render_Quad(-rad,512+rad,512+rad*2,-(512+rad*2))
		Texture_Grab mblur,0,0
	Unlock_2D()

;-Work out frames per second. You don't have to do this.
	If ms>ls
		ls=ms+1000
		fps=frames
		frames=0
	Else
		frames=frames+1
		ms=MilliSecs()
	EndIf
	;---

Text_Out(1,1,fps,0,0)
	;	Texture_Grab screen,0,0
	Render_Flip(False)
Wend
End

dangerdave(Posted 2004) [#2]
I get about 750 here.
Fast.

-----------------------
Annoying:
- when you click on the close button and click OK on the
confirm box, you go back to the program and it keeps running.
-----------------------
I hope your count down clock in your sig gets
fixed soon. ;-)
I'm interested in getting this package.

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#3]
I get 918 fps here.

Looking good.

Now I think it's time you released it. :)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#4]
Wow, I gotta get me a new computer :)

dangerdave(Posted 2004) [#5]
Whoops,
Just realized I didn't update my machine specs in my sig.
Updating now.

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#6]
Just over 700 here.

dangerdave(Posted 2004) [#7]
What happens if you didn't use the lock2d command?
How does it affect the fps.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2004) [#8]
how can I turn of this vsync?!?!?!

mongia2(Posted 2004) [#9]
i am interested from demo of vividgl

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#10]
Depends, if you're using nvidia IT, right click on the desktop and click on 'nvidia display', it'll take you to the nvidia tool panel. From there find 'advanced settings', then click on 'show advanced settings', a check box beneath the initial settings.
Look up, and there should be an option to set how vsync operates under gl. always on, always off or app controlled. The latter two should work for you.

Dave, lock2d basically puts opengl into orthogonal rendering mode, so without it, it won't crash, it will
just be rendering that quad in 3d terms rather than 2d.
Which in it's self may have some uses.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2004) [#11]
I'm getting a Memory Access Violation when I try to run it. I'm using a laptop with a 64MB ATi Radeon Mobility 9000, so there shouldn't be any issues.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#12]
I only get 72 (my monitor refresh rate). Why is it locking to that on mine?

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#13]
hmm, might be worth posting a screenshot with the demo. By blur is it supposed to fade out after a few feames? on mine it stays solid. Heres a shot.

mongia2(Posted 2004) [#14]
360 fps
2800 +
nvidia 5700
512 ram

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#15]
That's just it being too bright and bleeding over, nothing to worry about. Render_Color() controls how bright the overblur is,(in this demo), if I set higher it does on mine what it does on yours.(IT's supposed to, too bright = can't fade fast enough = saturates the screen))
I'll lower it and send over.

mrTricks, I'm not sure. What are you exact v-sync settings? It may be the fact it's windowed mode rather than fullscreen.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#16]
Cool demo. Nice effect and model and colours.
Runs about 476 FPS.
I have a Radeon 9600 pro, with Athlon XP 2500+ and lots of ram.
By the way, are these demos meant to stay open after I hit the X?

dangerdave(Posted 2004) [#17]

By the way, are these demos meant to stay open after I hit the X?

I mentioned this above:

Annoying:
- when you click on the close button and click OK on the
confirm box, you go back to the program and it keeps running.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#18]
I didn't even see those points Dave. I saw the "-----" and assumed it was a big sig afterthat.

It's a b3d bug, in your case too Picklesworth. Not vivid. The requestor is actually thrown up by blitz3D. (Set use b3d's appTitle function.)
Perhaps it's something to do with overlaying the gl context/display though, but it won't come up in the sdk version anyway, i'll take it out for now.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#19]
250fps while Sims 2 is running in the background, not bad :)

P-M 1,5ghz, mobility radeon 9700 64mb

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#20]
i don't see nuthin... just a black window with numbers (around 170) in the upper left....

gotta go vote... see ya in a few...

[added]

sorry, was in a rush... Radeon9200 winxp dx9c

and don't believe those guys who are postin' those high 900 numbers... they're just trying to make the rest of us feel inadequate :)

--Mike

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#21]
I get MAV's on both demos

600mhz
64MB RAM
10MB Intel graphics card
Win98

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#22]
MAV

on work machine... 2ghz p4, intel poop graphics card (64 meg). B3D handles it but not vivid evidently.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#23]
About 125 on the same work machine with the first 2d stress test demo.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#24]
getting MAV on my p4 1600 mhz,
hercules prophet vid card(64mb)
768 mb of ram

a letter y appears in the window

JustLuke(Posted 2004) [#25]
Works fine for me. No visual errors or artifacts on my computer.

AMD 2600+
512MB RAM
Radeon 9800
Win XP sp2.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#26]
the letter Y appears for me too,

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#27]
I was still creating vbos in the jeep demo,(IO_LoadVGL did it automatically.) so that's why it's not working intels and the like, they don't support vbos(as far as I know.)

Fixed this problem now, anyway.

JustLuke(Posted 2004) [#28]
So will you be actually be, you know, RELEASING VividGL now?

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#29]
Your timer is a bit wonky, I think it's jammed. If you're going off of it to decide when to release, it actually should read: T - -2 days.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#30]
Very close...very very close..;)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#31]
ohhh... well, then that settles it... that's absolute proof positive that it's about to be released...

i'm reeeeaaally excited now!!!!

( :) don't hit me Ant)

--Mike

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#32]
What's wrong? I'm pressing 'exit' on that image but nothing is happening!

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#33]
Micheal, while you're about.. your profiler, is there a reason why it 'accuses' any function that return a custom type of 'trying to apply an operator to a custom type', when the profiler is active?
(Compiles fine without the #profiler tag)

Red, you know it's funny, I always thought ub40 were singing about wine. :)

namar777(Posted 2004) [#34]
On mine its says user libs missing
and i put dll in sys32 and b3d
wats the problem

thanks in advance

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#35]
The .dlls should remain in the same folder as the .exe ideally, but it is a missing function that's being called from within b3d it's self, which is an odd problem.

I expect this to be solved soon after release, as if you run the same code with the debugger on, blitz3d will highlight the missing function in question, at which point it'll be easy to determine what .dll is missing.(It doesn't happen this end, so I can't recreate the problem)

namar777(Posted 2004) [#36]
Hurry im impatient to look at this little monster

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#37]
Oh wow, an installer! Brilliant! :D
That seems so silly, but I won't bother you :)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#38]
"I won't bother you.:)"

I love how people end a wise crack with that or "But i'll stop now", as if it somehow absolves them from what they've just done.

But I'll stop now.

;)

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#39]
Do the MAV people have working OpenGL drivers installed?

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#40]
Works fine here, BTW (~740 FPS).

mongia2(Posted 2004) [#41]
a demo for vivigl??
and sdk
for beta tester???

thanks

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#42]
Don't mention beta testers or he'll delay it another year!!!

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#43]
Actually, now that you mention it...
-

Mong, I don't want to sound like a broken record, but it will be out very soon. (No really I mean it is this time!)
I'm like the boy who cried wolf...

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#44]
Ihave the latest Intel drivers which Im pretty sure have the latest opengl stuff

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#45]
I had vbo's in the IO_LoadVGL func(i.e it was calling Entity_compile using compile_Agp)
-

VividGL_LITE is on sale now.
https://secure.shareit.com/shareit/checkout.html?PRODUCT[220934]=1

/\/\ Working link. Not working here of course, but that's a fault of this site.(Standard tags fail on it. If there's a 'secret' way of adding any kinda html link, please let me know.) For now, just cut and paste into your html viewer.
shareIT accept cash, wire transfer, credit & debit card across a wide range of currancies.

Final Site/Docs to come tomorrow, 5am over here. I'm off to bed.

You can read 80% done docs for vivid lite, howver here, which were uploaded a few days ago.

http://www.excess.eclipse.co.uk/res/VividDocs.html

V1.0 Includes every function mentioned in those docs, plus (Estimate) about 30-50 not covered in those old docs.

Despite it not being mentioned in those docs, vivid does have lighting.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#46]
...Where's the demo?

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#47]
hey well done. Hope it launches fairly smoothly and you get to have some fun :)

skidracer(Posted 2004) [#48]
Not working here of course, but that's a fault of this site.

Try linking to the more informative sales page on ShareIt and not directly to the order page. <edit> well it use to be informative but now it's just some vague refund details

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#49]
I would have thought is was your fault for not using a sensible path like

ShareIT generates the links automatically, so I'd still say it's a fault of this site. It works fine anywhere else.
But thanks for the working version. Html is alien to me..

Cheers Evak. Way too tired for the fun part to start yet tho..;)

dangerdave(Posted 2004) [#50]
Hmmm....
I thought it was going to be US$25.

I guess I was wrong.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#51]
Hmmm....
I thought it was going to be US$25.

I guess I was wrong.

Yep you are, he said it was gonna be Ģ25, and it is.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#52]
Ant, are you bringing out a version for C++?

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#53]
Cool. I had no idea the pound was so overvalued, but meh. Now wake up and finish the site!
I'll be buying this soon :)

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#54]
MAV MAV MAV >.< ive seen other OGL stuff work on this POC though..

man i want this... many uses. Many, many uses.

Great work!

dangerdave(Posted 2004) [#55]
Well, I don't have CAN$60 right now.
I will have to save up more.

Will there be a lite version that works in BlitzMax when
it comes out, and will we be able to get it free?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#56]
Cool. I had no idea the pound was so overvalued, but meh.

I'm not sure it is. I think the US dollar is just very, very weak. The pound doesn't seem strong against the other currencies I commonly deal in anyway, unless they're coincidentally very strong also. Tis very nice when buying from American businesses though.

Ruz(Posted 2004) [#57]
'funny' though if you buy software in the uk which is american, you end up paying the same price .For example say you bought lightwabve for whatever it costs say 1600 dollars, you would think that if you bought it here in the uk , it would be around half that price, but damn it no, you pay the full price still ie 1600 dollars
what a rip off

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#58]
Will there be a lite version that works in BlitzMax when
it comes out, and will we be able to get it free?

The version out now is a lite version. BlitzMax will also have a lite version.

I don't know too much about vividgl3D Pro as yet but there will be from what I understand an upgrade option to people who already have the lite version.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#59]
Correct,

Vivid Lite -> Blitz3D, BlitzMax. (Possibly B+ if enough people ask for it)

Vivid Pro -> Bmax, C++, and more.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#60]
Am I correct in saying that there will only be mesh animation in Pro?

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#61]
How much will Pro cost?

That affects whether I will buy lite.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#62]
Sybixsus: From what mentioned and provided in the documentation: Yes

But there seem to be quite some functions missing in the documentation ... at least if it should be usefull for anything ...

smilertoo(Posted 2004) [#63]
Both demos hover around 1000fps for me.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#64]
Syb, for the time being yes. Although vivid lite does support real time vertex deformation(cpu) and there's no restriction on the type of vertex shaders you do, so you could do your own anim.

I will be adding md3 support to vivid lite though, including bones..for those not wishing to switch to vivid pro.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#65]
Slenker, sorry only just saw your question. Pro will be around 50 to 150, depending on the price of similar engines across platforms. It'll be competive in other words.

The blitz version will likely be cheaper though, for obvious reasons.(Can't exactly price it higher than bmax!)

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#66]
ah OK thanks,

Just wondered if the C++ version will check for input from the mouse and keyboard, coz thats diffiult to do in C++,
and is there any sound support?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#67]
Yes on both counts. Vivid pro will basically let you code with extreme ease in C++, you'd only have to learn the basic
C++ concepts to use it, not any winapi or anything else.
Just the vividsdk.(All built around classes.)

so you can do things like

Texture MyTexture("Test.Bmp") ; create a texture variable called my texture, and load "Test.bmp" into it.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#68]
Ey, web site!

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#69]
sounds good laddie, so vividpro is more of a GAME engine than just a renderer

Richard Betson(Posted 2004) [#70]
@Antony
(Possibly B+ if enough people ask for it)

I would like to see Vivid for B+.. Maybe after B+'s update is released there might be more request for it (although I'ed make a "Back Burner Deal").

L8r,

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#71]
Hey.. sorry about the lack of a website so far, as you can probably tell by my absance, had some net troubles. but I just this second(Touch wood) fixed it and am back on my xp set up..so it can begin.

Did you guys get your alpha of cryo script alright? win2k was giving me some verbal..

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#72]
Yep, I got the cryoscript alpha. Will take some puttering to figure out in the slightest what to do, but I have a lot of time on my hands :)
Um... why doesn't the jeep demo in this thread work when I copy and paste the source you have directly into a folder with all the proper includes and stuff? It starts up without problem, but nothing is visible.

JustLuke(Posted 2004) [#73]
ShareIT sucks. Ever since VividGL was released I have tried to order it via ShareIT with a number of different credit cards. Each time the payment is declined. This wouldn't be so bad if it didn't take (on average) 4 - 12 hours for the ShareIT guys to verify and fail each order! I don't know what the problem is because I have used (and continue) to use the same credit cards to order other things online without any difficulty. Their emails advise me to contact my bank, but that's a little difficult because my bank is in England and I now live in China.

As I said, ShareIT sucks. And it doesn't look like I will be able to buy VividGL - how disappointing!

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#74]
They take cash as well. :) Not sure how you'd go about paying with cash, never had any to experiment with.

Pickle, due to an undocumented edition. There's a new function(in your version) called Render_BlendMode() it sets how 2d blends with the background. Modes range from 0 (Disabled) to 6.

BlendMode 2 should work for the motion blur.
I'm working on some new demos with mblur.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#75]
Ant, why don't you sign up for a paypal account for people who don't like ShareIt? You only need a debit card.

JustLuke(Posted 2004) [#76]
Sybixsus, I second that! I've never had a problem with paypal.

You still want my money, don't you Antony? Because I sure do want VividGL.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#77]
(Clint eastwood)Want's got nothing to do with it.
I don't have a debit card. They reserve them for people who don't owe them money. fashists...

I'm looking into other options, no idea what'll come of it though.

JustLuke(Posted 2004) [#78]
Thats too bad.

Well, Antony, I still have some English money stashed away in a drawer somewhere so I think the easiest option (for me) would be for you to come to Rizhao, Shandong Province, China and I'll give you the cash. I'll also throw in a free dinner of noodles and chinese dumplings and introduce you to some young, lovely Chinese ladies to sweeten the deal. ;)

Yikes, I sound like a pimp!

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#79]
For a chinaman living china, you sure have a english sounding e-mail addy. :)

But i've always wanted to go china, you pay for my flight, the hotel room, and one of those chinese hookers I hear so much about, and it's a deal.

Koriolis(Posted 2004) [#80]
What is the minimum requirement? I have a Geforce4 Ti 4200, and all I get is a MAV.
Yes, no shader 2.0. Don't you *still* have no fallback or anything?!?

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#81]
I don't have a debit card. They reserve them for people who don't owe them money.

Well open an account with the Halifax. Their bank card is automatically a debit card ( ie: they can't give you an account without giving you a debit card. ) Heck maybe you can sign up for PayPal ( or NoChex ) without a debit card, maybe you can just enter bank account details. Just seems a shame when people like LeMort can't pay and want to.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#82]
Oh I do plan on getting a credit card or debit card once I've sold a few more copies of vivid.

I need to get mgs3 on import very soon, can't think of any shop to get a modded ps2/mgs3.. so it'll be pretty soon.
then i'll sort out another option. only one though..don't want to deal with mulitple accounts..too much hassle.

JustLuke(Posted 2004) [#83]
I've tried to order VividGL using a different credit card but it really is my last attempt. If it still doesn't work for me then could you let me know when you sort out some alternative payment method, please?

By the way, I never said I was Chinese - I just live here at the moment. I'm a yorkshire man, born and bred!

Koriolis(Posted 2004) [#84]
Ahem, Antony?
Would you mind answering to me?

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#85]
Hey ant,

Sorry to post this here it's just that I'm having email problems at the moment. I can receive emails but not send them. It's getting annoying.

Can you send us the url of the vivid forum or set us up an account?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#86]
I'll answer both your questions after I watch smallville. Nothing comes before superman...;)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#87]
Kor, it should run on your pc, gpu. What drivers are you running, os etc.

Have you tried installing new drivers? I have the very latest, (off guru3d.com)
The demo uses vbos, which require 55+ nvidia drivers, i.e not a lot of older cards support it. but you can also use vertex arrays or static agp for older cards.

And there is a function to determine if the card supports vbos (glSupportsVertexObjects())
-

Amon, still havn't set it up yet. I'll e-mail you (and the rest) once it's done. I lost the url to the other one, so I have to redo it..
that offer for a php one on your webspace still standing? seems alot better than proboards stuff(some custom thing..really basic)

ckob(Posted 2004) [#88]
Antony: could u get a proper page up for this engine? im super intrested but with out a professional page and some screenshots/demos I dont want to take the plunge.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#89]
@Antony - take a look at this :
http://www.codercorner.com/Flexporter.htm
It might save you a bunch of time writing a 3DSMax exporter, umm, 'cos that's what it is - a kind of all-purpose way to get info out of Max and into <whatever> engine, and its very full featured.
Oh, and its free :)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#90]
Ckob, it's coming soon. Just been having too much fun writing plugins and extras for vivid.
Just wrote an entirely new 3d powered font engine, entirely in vivid it's self. That's a nice feeling.. (Update 2 guys, in case you're wondering.)

Skitchy, Thanks. Just downloaded it and it seems EXACTLY the kinda thing I was hoping for. Makes it almost as simple as a milkshape exporter now. Barring any unforeseen mishaps...expect a max exporter in update 2.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#91]
Is the documentation finished?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#92]
Practically finished(more so than the public ones you've seen).
I'm offering e-mail tech support to all users in the mean time, so no one is suffering as a result(afaik). if anyone needs a question answered, the answer is only one e-mail away.
(for owners only..)

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#93]
ok so I'll wait until it is finished as I use it as base to decide if I buy or not.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#94]
Um, I emailed you a few days ago at antony at excess.eclipse.co.uk
Still haven't got a response. Should I resend, or is it the wrong address?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#95]
Hm, I asked you about 15 posts up if you got my last e-mail and you said yes. That's the last time I heard from you.

Resend and i'll take a look. Use > TechSupport at Excess.eclipse.co.uk, so it goes into the right inbox.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#96]
Just checked, I did get two e-mails from you, pocomail classified them as 'junk mail', so I never saw them. The only reason I noticed is cos it showed the one you just sent as incoming...but then didn't appear in the main window...

Time to get a proper e-mail client..

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#97]
oh, I just said it's sent. Thanks :)
That makes this post even less useful.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#98]
Might be an idea to move all these converations to a dedicated Vivid forum? You can set one up for free at many places, such as http://www.proboards.com/index.html

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#99]
A cunning plan, baldrick.

Picklesworth, just replied, lemme know if it gets there.(Can't see why not ;p)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#100]
this is the longest non-Alien-Breed-Remake thread I've seen

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#101]
Rob ghost wrote it you see.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#102]
Web... Site... Please!
Really, what's taking it so long?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#103]
Well to be honest, it's a lot more fun writing update 2 then it is writing a website. (Even if the website is 90% finished)

But the site will be online this week, pretty much vital, so no intention of 'forgetting' it.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#104]
Well to be honest, it's a lot more fun writing update 2 then it is writing a website. (Even if the website is 90% finished)

But the site will be online this week, pretty much vital, so no intention of 'forgetting' it.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#105]
there are a couple diffrent companies that would make your site for your, why not contract it out just so you have something professional up to show your product?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#106]
Money, money, money. In a poor man's world..

Besides, I'm working with templates here, it will look professional. Enough.

angel martinez(Posted 2004) [#107]
How is the Milkshape exporter supposed to work ? because I put the dll in the Milkshape folder and when I run the program nothing about Vivid format appear in the export file options.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#108]
Which version of milkshape are you running?

It definitely works, I used milshape to convert psionics models into vgl from .3ds(Included in the demos)

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#109]
What's up with the 'userlib not found' message?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#110]
.Dll not found.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#111]
Come on, bring on some proper user support, eh? :p Explain possible solutions like I was a demented old grandma.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#112]
I really don't know, sorry. All the .dlls *my code* depends on is included in the demo, and I threw in the vc runtimes to be sure.

But, since these problems seem to have begun since I switched to vc2005. i've switched back to VC6++ lately. update 2's texture engine will be compiled in it..i'll release some new demos then, hopefully putting an end to it.

It *is* a rare occurance, one I cannot emulate on either of my setups(win2k/xp/xp-sp2)-

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#113]
Perhaps it has to do with the fact that .NET 2.0 Framework is connected to VS 2005 ... Think I read somewhere that it isn't going to be non-2k kernel compatible. => win 2k, XP or 2k3 server only

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#114]
I've thought about that..I do have .net installed on them all so it's a possibility certaintly.

Can anyone confirm the demo running on a NON .net enabled machine?

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#115]
I did not mean that it needs .NET
But the compiler that is brought with .NET Framework is not pre 2k kernel compatible as Microsoft has stoped the support for Win9x and WinME

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#116]
Well my point is i use 2005(Aurorafx.dll) so there's a chance i've set something or done something that is making it depend on a .dll/runtime not found on most set-ups, perhaps something in .net. Back to vc6++ Now though..

it's definitely a .dll missing, no question there..it's pinpointing the dependency that is proving trouble.(Considering I can't recreate the problem)
---

Edit- I misread. That's a good point, if 2005 .exes/.dlls are not compatible with pre win2k machines, the .dll attach process call would fail, so when vivid tries to init the texture system, it can't..hence blitz returning ".dll not found"...

So can anyone on win98se machine confirm that please?

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#117]
My machine has got XP on it, so that couldn't be the problem in my case.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#118]
Ah nuts...

Don't suppose you *don't* have .net installed? Come on, make my life easier please...;)

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#119]
Sorry man, I have no clue. *ahem* Guess I don't have it installed since I don't even know what you're talking about.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#120]
Heh, a good guess. I guess.

But some apps may auto-install it, and I believe it comes as standard if you're on xp sp2?

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#121]
Hmm, just updated as a matter of fact. Hold on, I'll test again.

ErikT(Posted 2004) [#122]
Nah, still no userlib found. :/

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#123]
Oh well, thanks for trying anyway.

I'll re-release these demos with it all compiled in VC6++ when I release update 2, so still hope..

Sweenie(Posted 2004) [#124]
I get the same error at home on my xp machine.
Running NT Filemon the log says that the vivid-demo tries to load Zlib.dll and texture.dll which it can't find.

Try NT Filemon, it's an awesome tool, and freeware.
You find it here--> www.sysinternals.com

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#125]
Ah, I do use those, (Well texture .dll I don't. Must be some legacy code in there)
I think it may be the zlib.dll, as quite a few coders around here use that(Not too mention a bunch of apps), so it would defintely explain the hit and miss nature of the problem.

Thanks.

Will upload those two .dlls and see if helps any.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#126]
http://www.gzip.org/zlib/zlib121-dll.zip

Havn't reset up my ftp yet, so no texture .dll or similar.

But in the mean-time, those having trouble might solve their problems by placng zlib.dll(Above official link) in the same folder as the app.

I'll recompile some new demos tonight..there's nine others in the sdk not shown yet.

Doiron(Posted 2004) [#127]
I still get the "user lib not found" error.

angel martinez(Posted 2004) [#128]
Sorry because I didnīt answer before now.I use Milkshape 1.71 and I put the exporter dll in the folder but I donīt find anything about Vivid file format in Milkshape(export file).

hub(Posted 2004) [#129]
me too. i still get the "user lib not found" error.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#130]
Oh, if you forget antony, you may want to turn down how much the camera moves with arrow key presses in example 9. I added .0 before each one and it works well. As it was, the terrain may as well have been a sprite.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#131]
Yep, although that's entirely dependent on set up. slower machines won't update as fast, so will probably be fine as is.

Btw, you can make terrains as big as you need. The first two pars control how big each segment is (Each segment is a max of two polys. although in most cases segments will be optimized down to 0 polys. (I.e on flatish areas).

I.e terrain_Create(50,50,200,200) would make a terrain 5000x5000 units big. (You can run it through the oct-tree too. good if you're low down on the terrain, as you can cull 40-60% of the scene per frame, depending on viewpoint.)