FAO Vorderman re z-virus

Community Forums/Showcase/FAO Vorderman re z-virus

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#1]
Was messing about earlier today and I think I've nailed the original mouse control - I haven't implemented yet but can you tell me if this is what you remember?

Mousewheel to change mouse sensitivity...

Sample code ...

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#2]
Blimey, that's a bit complex! And very VERY difficult to control!!

I think the original had much simpler controls, but the resulting possibilities were much more complex, in that the ship could point in any direction, and it also had two thrust modes - right mouse for fast thrust, middle mouse for slow thrust.

try this - http://www.jameskett.dsl.pipex.com/BlitzGL_Zarch.zip

I think it just has left and right mouse buttons for fast and slow thrust, with no weapons etc...

In the original, as in my demo program, you can turn the ship upside down and thrust straight down if you want to. You can also stand the ship on its tail to shoot stuff above you. There were no limits to movement in any direction - you could spin it over and over and over if you wanted, making great big spirals in the sky.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#3]
Out of curiosity - how long ago did you last play this - 15 years? The lander demo on RedSquirrel archimedes emu is exactly like I've just shown you above .. hmmm. At any rate it's exaclt the same as the st & Amiga versions.

Cheers for looking anyway :)

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#4]
You're right - it was a looooong time ago - on the Archimedes at school. I never played the Amiga version I don't think. Perhaps they toned down the controls for the release versions of the game

edit : just played the Amiga version of Virus, and it's just like your program above - yeugh. Very awkward to play and you seem to get stuck upside down very easily. Certainly that is not how I remember the Arch version being.

Perhaps you could add an option to switch between the control modes so everyone is happy?

IronGiant(Posted 2004) [#5]
I know what you mean Vorderman - however, up until recently I found the Amiga controls quite intuitive as I'd been playing that version for a long time. When I then went to play Z-Virus for the first time the controls definitely weren't right (it seemed to be that there was less fine control). I then played Z-Virus for a few days, got used to it then tried the Amiga version again ...... and found I could barely play it!

I do though welcome the addition of the 'original' control method but I also think it would be useful for Stevie to leave in his newer, easier control method as a user-selectable option. Meanwhile I have some controls to re-learn. :)

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#6]
Perhaps my memory is bad then - maybe the Arch version had these controls, but I was just used to them back then???

I still think the free-rotate 360-degree aiming is easier to get to grips with and makes the game much better as it's easier to track targets and attack enemies as they buzz around you.

With the Amiga controls, as with Stevie's demo, I seem to get the ship stuck upside down after every attempt at a fast turn, and it seems to be impossible to right it again - you end up frantically moving the mouse in every direction and the ship just stays resolutely upside down until you crash into the floor. The free-rotation 360-degree controls don't seem to have this problem - you can always recover from a spin - even if this isn't accurate to the original then I certainly think it's more fun.

matt!(Posted 2004) [#7]
Try the ST version through emulation.