A sort of sequel to Hole in One.... (150k of pics)

Community Forums/Showcase/A sort of sequel to Hole in One.... (150k of pics)

GfK(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hello.

I mentioned in newsletter issue #10 that a possible sequel (of sorts) to Hole in One was a distinct possibility.

Well, a month ago, I managed to get a contract for the aforementioned in the shape of RSBrownDog's "Par Fore!". I've taken over the project with the support of both Ryan and his publisher, as he wasn't able to finish up the game himself due to work commitments.

Its currently in the traditional "3D view mode" but I plan to have an isometric viewpoint also if I can ever work out orthographic projection, so it'll look and play kind of like Hole in One looked, only much prettier.

It does look a bit different to how Ryan left it, mainly due to me throwing out the Blitz terrain system in favour of courses modelled completely in 3DS Max.

Psionic's done 90% of the graphics for this, I plan to make the courses myself, as well as doing all the HUD artwork which will be a revamped Hole in One HUD.

Anyway, here's a few early shots (with only a test course). These basically show the weather system and a couple of the different game themes:

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#2]
If you need a Beta Tester, I'll be happy to sign an NDA.
*EDIT*
Looks fun btw :)

GfK(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yay! Figured out ortho projection at last!

If you need a Beta Tester, I'll be happy to sign an NDA.
Mail george@... if you're serious - he's in charge of hiring testers. :)

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#4]
Hehe, that was fast :)
Looks fun so far!

wmaass(Posted 2004) [#5]
cool. that last shot reminds me of Sensible Golf.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#6]
I know it's probably the look you're going for, but for me it seems a bit solid colour primitives to me.

Is the stuff in space going to be low gravity?

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#7]
Another Golf game Dave? You sure do love your golfing :)

JustLuke(Posted 2004) [#8]
I do like the idea of being able to play the game using both a traditional and isometric viewpoint, but I would prefer a little more eye-candy! The player model looks cute but I don't care for the environment models/textures. They're just too flat and featureless for my liking - but that's just my (worthless) opinion.

Ah, what the hell do I know. I can count on the non-existant hand of a limbless amputee how many golf games I've played...

Knowing your track record for making highly polished games, I am sure that this will improve. Who knows, maybe this could be the first golf game that I play?

Caff(Posted 2004) [#9]
Looks cool so far, hope the music is good ;)

matt!(Posted 2004) [#10]
I loved Hole in One. I must dig out my copy of that...

Currently playign Mario Golf Advance.

GfK(Posted 2004) [#11]
They're just too flat and featureless for my liking

here's a few early shots (with only a test course)

:)

The actual courses will obviously have hills and valleys and rivers and stuff. There will also be birds flying overhead and rabbits and things hopping about the place.

Is the stuff in space going to be low gravity?
Haven't decided yet, to be honest. The Martian graphics were just there when i got sent the WIP stuff from RSBrownDog and I'm not entirely sure how he planned to implement it.

Low gravity would cause problems if you could complete a 500yd par 5 hole in 2 shots, so I'll have to have a think about where I'm gonna go with that. ;)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#12]
You make the Low gravity ones lower pars or longer courses! Just a bit of balancing and it'll work fine!

Caff(Posted 2004) [#13]
How about make the low gravity ones 'bonus courses' where you aim for a hole in one?

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#14]
me likes... me likes.... especially the interplanetary courses...

what about...

a course in hell...

a course in heaven...

an underwater course...

a course on the moon...

a course floating in the clouds...

each with the appropriate laws of gravity, physics, etc...

make the whole the a way out, inter dimensional golf o rama where ya play against golfers from all parts of the universe and time...

hehehehe, sorry G sometimes i do get a lil carried away...

--Mike

rsbrowndog(Posted 2004) [#15]
Great stuff GfK!

The Mars stuff... it came out of a brainstorm over what "hidden" stuff to include, because I remembered that Nick Faldo Golf on the Amiga had a bonus 9-hole course set on Mars. I never played the game myself, so I'm no idea whether it had different gravity, etc., or whether it was just aesthetic.

Personally, I was intending to make it just an aesthetic change, but I'm (a) lazy and (b) not very talented, I'm sure you can do better!!

Will be keeping an eye on this...

Cheers,

Ryan

JustLuke(Posted 2004) [#16]
Actually, Red Ocktober, those are not bad ideas. I'd be interested in a golf game that included those sorts of kooky environments, especially if the different environments affected the gameplay/physics and so on.

EOF(Posted 2004) [#17]
I agree about having wacky locations for golf courses.
That would make the game great fun and entertaining.
Think > 'Crazy Golf'.
Some other ideas for locations:

Dining room
At the park
Snooker table
Garage
Back garden
On the street / motorway

Did you ever play Leaderboard Dave?
I mentioned this to Ryan way back when. I loved Leaderboard (Amiga) due to it's simple 'pick up and play' controls.
Are you planning on keeping a simple control method?

GfK(Posted 2004) [#18]
The controls which Ryan did were near identical to that of Hole in One - very easy to play. So I'll be sticking with that although I have changed the HUD graphics somewhat, the controls remain the same.

(or they will, when I've finished 'em!)

I'm just adding an 'intelligent' camera system with smooth transitions. Its early days yet but its totally transforming the feel of the game. I'm feeling very positive.

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#19]
Looking great, I like the cartoon style

Is there going to be a moon mode like in Red Dwarf? Where Lister and Rimmer are playing golf on some moon and because of the gravity each hole is miles apart? :)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#20]
Great to see you back at another game!