Ghost Turrets

Community Forums/Showcase/Ghost Turrets

Idaho Razor(Posted 2004) [#1]
Sup Everyone,

This is the third game i have made using Blitz3D, it's pretty fun... Short but fun for about 5 minutes hehe.. Anyways you are trapped in a field with a bunch of turrets that have ghost like guns... The way you kill them is shoot them on the BASE *part they spin on* and kill them. It's pretty easy, i took out the strafe movement because it made the game to easy... It took me about a week to do, please don't critisize the graphics too much. I mainly want to learn the CODE rather than visuals... i'll work on visuals soon tho... I'm done with this small project and going to go work on another thing. Hope you all enjoy this very small concept!

Screen Shot:

Download:
http://www.nuclearfusionpc.com/razor/Shooter/Shooter.zip

Controls:

Up Arrow: Move Forward
Down Arrow: Move Backward

Mouse: Turn/Aim

Good-Luck!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
Nice Concept, but you should know by now, everybody wants nice graphics :) Anyway, keep it up.

Idaho Razor(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yea, but for some reason i can't do graphics... I've tried many times but i just can't make anything look nice :-( *mainly because of lack of creativity and lack of skinning skills*

Thanks for the comment JFK :-) and i will keep practicing at graphics!

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2004) [#4]
Your not alone being a crap artist, I was the founder of the club! :D

Idaho Razor(Posted 2004) [#5]
hehe, i been using Milkshape3D (it was a cheap $20) and was well worth it! I understand the basics of modelling, it's mainly the skinning. I've seen some amazing work from Psionic and it just blows me away how he can draw faces/humans like that! It's incredible IMO... My goal one day is to be atleast half as good as him hehe..

My next project i'm going to focus on my models and such a lot more, and get this whole Skinning/Animation thing down...

I'm looking into CharacterFX (i think is what it's called) it looks awesome and i hope to get it soon! :-)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#6]
CharacterFX can do Animations. Modelling and Skinning Characters is the hardest chapter of 3d design.

BTW use Lithunwrap 1.3 or UltimateUnwarp3D for Skinning.

There is an opensource freewaqre blitztool: FTE (Free Terrain Editor or something similar :) ), this can be used for very decent mesh-based terrains for blitz. Then there is the new Plant-Life tool by alien codec, if you want to invest a few bucks, this would be an excellent choice. Also watch out for a lightmapper that makes every map much nicer (Eg. Gile[s] or SlimShady).

And use a Skybox for the far background. There have been several skyboxes released for free here. Maybe you'll find them using the search, or via yahoo search.

By Modelling Buildings and furniture you'll become familar with the 3d design work, then with some prectica you may try one of the Character Tutorials. (Guess Psionic has one too, highly recommended)

Idaho Razor(Posted 2004) [#7]
hehe, thanks for the tips! but in my skybox i can still see the corners? entityfx sky,1 didn't work nor did flat-shaded..

So i just used a plane and it turned out very nice! compared to just fog... My only problem now is i can't add a "haze" over the horizon.. I'm reading about lens-flares now see how they work in real life and i'm going to try and implent them :-) As for terrain i haven't focussed on them yet, but when i make a terrain i'll usually draw a heightmap in GIMP and let Milkshape do the rest ;-)

Here is what i have on my next game so far: (mainly focused on the sky) There are two layers, one for the "main sky" and the other below with a bit more clouds... The top layer is moving slower than the other cloud layer!