Suggestion: "CP: Blitz3D showcase and demo"

Community Forums/Showcase/Suggestion: "CP: Blitz3D showcase and demo"

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#1]
Since there isn't a real demo showing all of Blitz3Ds awesome features, wouldn't it be great to start a CP that would extensively showcase the abilities of Blitz3D; graphical as well as other abilities.

This could be done as some sort of long cutscene or animation, or as a FPS or TPS kinda of presentation.

There's so much to show! And now all those features are separated in small demos that are really hard to even find as .bb let alone .exe. Normal mapping, mesh deformations, boned b3d files, cubic mapping and water effects, particle systems, maybe some shadows, scene complexity blitz can handle, 2d onscreen graphics mixed with 3d, sound pitch and volume control, collisions, tokamak, texture blending, you name it!

I'd like to see that personally, and i also believe it would expand the Blitz community by quite a lot since people will be hooked to see what they can make.

I say this cos just now i was saying to a friend what Blitz can do and after searching this whole site and forums, and blitzcoder, i came up with little more than a few odd demos. And noone can get an "impressive impression" after even all that. I'm sure most of you realised this long ago, but i never saw someone suggest a CP for it, which i think would be a GREAT idea.

Maybe if there are enough supporters we could start it up?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
I suggested this about 2 years ago and everyone was too precious with their little routines to share with the community. Basically it was about as popular as a fart in a spaceship.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#3]
Well it would be a great way for everyone to promote their skills. It could be one of the if not THE first thing many people prospecting Blitz would see, so if they see someones name as a modeler, artist of any kind, or programmer, they'll know he's a good one. Would be a nice way to advertise blitz as well as people who do it. Besides, its not like theres that much to do :) tho i wouldnt do it myself.

We could have a short story. Like something in Egypt and a guy sees the Pyramids in the 1920s is wondering "Wow who built this, and how did they do it?" and the answer goes "BLITZ 3D!! Build AWESUUUUM STUFF with it, and its REAAAAAL EASSSYYYYY!! BUY NOW!! " And theres a scene of a pharoah with a laptop with blitz on it going "thumbs up mate!" (i know that sounds Kiwi-ish, why not make the face of this pharoah as Marks!)

And the viewer would be too blown away by the graphics and stuff to even realise how cheesy that is!

See what i'm sayin?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#4]
I like the idea as well.

I think it should be done after the current CP is complete.

aab(Posted 2004) [#5]
a Much Deserved Idea

{"everyone was too precious with their little routines to share with the community."
I dont understand why some would think like that..
Most people wouldnt use others code anyway, the'd learn from it then create their own unique version.}

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#6]
Even if people wouldn't want to give their code, it would be enough to gather a few artists to simply make an impressive graphical cutscene. It could have little more than a few LoadAnimMesh commands, and still impress many people. Eye candy works!

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#7]
Not too many responses...

I guess not many artists want to show off their skill to generations and generations of blitzers, huh?

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#8]
I can help out animating some characters when someone decides what todo

ckob(Posted 2004) [#9]
i can help out as well, i released my Servant MMORPG source code to the public and if you want we can use that for something.

Shifty Geezer(Posted 2004) [#10]
Something like this takes time, and it all depends how much time people have to offer rather than work on their own pet projects (and work fora living etc.)

On the RealSoft3D modelling/rendering software mailing list there was talk of an animation to show off the software and garner support. Everyone was just too busy to commit so it went nowhere.

Unless you can find people that want to work on a project instead of other things, you won't get anywhere :(

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#11]
id be interested in anything where a group of you guys are getting 2gether..i was hoping a 3d-community project would appear (3rd person platformer)

if i could be off any use...
mainly rigging and animation

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#12]

Basically it was about as popular as a fart in a spaceship.

and im STILL laughing!

Interesting idea.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#13]
i was hoping a 3d-community project would appear (3rd person platformer)
Well who knows what'll happen after Alien Breed...

podperson(Posted 2004) [#14]
There's a ton of stuff that comes with Blitz3D (when you buy it) that qualifies as awesome demos.

Personall, two demos really sold me on Blitz3D:

Mark Sibly's Castle Demo (would be nice if the content graphics were prettier, but it achieves an awesome amount with a tiny bit of code).

AGore's BirdDemo

From these demos it was pretty clear to me that Blitz3D was capable of delivering pretty much any 3D game I wanted to design.

I think demos based on these (but with improved content) would serve as great advertisements.

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#15]
The best way to make this i think would be some kind of 3dmark system, and actually build in a bench marking system as well, thus lots of people would watch it just for the benchmarking

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#16]
I'm pretty sure that if I started a community project, I'd have a team of three. Me, mylself, and I.

But I could try.....

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#17]
Sometimes it just isn't possible to help on stuff like this - I work full time, have a small son to look after and am making several of my own games - plus I like to get out on the bike about 3 or 4 days a week to try and maintain my sanity...If I was just bumming around then I'd definitely chip in, but it's not realistic right now - I'm sure similar reasons prevent a lot of other artists and coders helping out too.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#18]
Yeah, cool. If any artists see this thread and like the idea, all they need to do is state their intrest. I was thinking more about a graphical demo, since the coding Demos there are enough of and i don't believe making a CP which would include a huge amount of quality code would be fruitful anyway.

You know, eye candy with nice sound.