My First Game

Community Forums/Showcase/My First Game

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#1]
This was my first game - I finally got it up online. But it's pretty neat. It's a space invaders clone where you are a smiley and you shoot other smileys, along with some groovy disco music. Most of the credit for this goes to Maneesh Sethi, for he did most of the code, and to Weird Al, for he did the music. :) Screenshots below:

you can download it here - in ZIP format. To all you RAR users, check this out.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#2]
DARN IT! Screenshots don't work.....screenshots never work.

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#3]
looking good. Now focus your efforts on making a more retro space invaders.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#4]
this was my first attempt at a game - I thought I would make it a bit....odd. :D

TomToad(Posted 2004) [#5]
Nice concept :)
However, I did notice that sometimes I would get a direct hit on a smiley every now and then and not destroy it. Is it set up that some need multiple hits or is this a bug? If the former, you might use some kind of indication that a hit occured (changing color, changing size, maybe going from a smile to a frown).

Ice9(Posted 2004) [#6]
Maybe just use links

nice smileys

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#7]
oh, their hitpoints grow as you progress in levels......

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#8]
Praise:
Pretty cool and lots of action. I like how your shooter gets more powerful. I like how the smileys simultaneously drop bombs all at the same time.

Criticism:
I don't like that when your character dies, the game immediately stops. I didn't even get to see my score.

Use .png files instead of .bmps.

You probably shouldn't distribute copyrighted music with your game.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#9]
Thanks for the comments.

At the time this was made, I didn't know the difference between png and bmp, and it was originally just for fun. We weren't even going to show it to the public. But now we did, and I really don't have the need to develop it anymore. But it's a great thing to keep on your desktop. You never know when you'll get really bored. :)