VividGL 3D_Example1

Community Forums/Showcase/VividGL 3D_Example1

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#1]
Last couple of demos have been pixel shader only, so I thought I'd start with a non-shader one.

http://www.excess.eclipse.co.uk/3D_Example1.zip (4mb zip)

This one demonstrates, in no order,

Blending modes> Dot3x2,Dot3x4,Modx2
Lighting Modes:Per Pixel Tagent mapping(I.e Normal mapping.)
Rendering modes:direct Entity_Render() pipeline +wireframe mode(Controllable on a per entity basis, in vivid)
Loads a 3ds.
Entity creation:Controlled patches(The floor)

You can move the light by moving the mouse left and right.(it circles around. Not a very interactive demo.)

The door Model is by and (c) Dinko Pavicic.
-

Dinko is working on a whole level, so the demos to come will improve media wise.(I.e will be more than just a floor and a door.)

Demos to come include shader based normal mapping etc. The method shown here should work on any gl card capable of amplified dot3, as it's all done on the cpu.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#2]
says

ERROR:
illegal instruction

on my Geforce 3. the screenshot looks interesting though.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#3]
Says "Hold W For Wireframe" in the upper left corner of a completely black screen... Nothing else.

Athlon64 / Radeon9800XT

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#4]
Works fine here
W2000, Atlon64, RadeonPro9800-128m, 1gig ram.

Evak/Kanati

At least tell the man what operating system you're running ay?

RetroBooster(Posted 2004) [#5]
Black screen, XP, Athlon XP 2800+, Radeon 9700 Pro, 1 gig RAM.

Tracer(Posted 2004) [#6]
"Illegal Instruction"

P4-3.6, 1gig ram, Geforce 6800 Ultra, Win XP Pro SP 1

Tracer

Mo(Posted 2004) [#7]
Same error as Evak and Tracer here.
WinXp Sp1, Athlon TB 1.2 gHz, G4TI-4400, 512Mb Ram

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#8]
Same error as Kanati here.
AthlonXP 2000+, 256mb, GF2 MX.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#9]
Same error as Kanati.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#10]
Thanks for trying it anyway, wierd.

I suspect it could be pixel buffer objects(This demo had them on for no reason. (The text uses the image pipeline.))

Anyway could you guys download this *replacement* exe for the above,
http://www.excess.eclipse.co.uk/Vivid_ErrorCheck1.zip

and then open the "Vivid_Log.txt" file it produces and copy/paste the results in here or e-mail them to me?

This new version logs everything, indicates whether your card is capable of vbos(at the driver level at least)
and other things. Please be sure to copy/paste the final cpu tag element, this is to help me coordinate what's going on.

It does work perfectly here, btw, so don't worry about this. Just one of the things!

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#11]
Also, those seeing nothing but text. Have you tried moving the light source?

Gabor(Posted 2004) [#12]
Works great here most of the time.
Sometimes (around 20%) I get the same error Kanati gets. Moving the light doesn't fix it.

Athlon xp 1800+, GeForce4 ti

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#13]
I got a black screen with the first exe. All I could see was the text to press w for wireframe.

With the error check exe though I could see the whole scene in all its glory. Very Nice lighting effects ant.

I'll send you the log via email now.

Mo(Posted 2004) [#14]
Vivid_log.txt:
Vivid Log.
Initializing.
Succesfully set graphics mode
Blitz window found and used
Initializing GL display.
Initializing GLBlitz system
Initializing Environment
Initializing Fx system
Initializing Text engine
Initializing Gl extensions
Gpu supports VBOS
Initializing collision system.
Initializing sound system.
Projecting.
Setting back buffer
Creating lights
Initializing demo.
Loading Entity door2.3ds
Scaling entity to 4,4,4
Loading textures.

This is all.
edit: don't knwo if this is important, but the Texlist1 and Texlist2 files in the "cached" folder are both empty.

Tracer(Posted 2004) [#15]
Ok, the 'errorcheck' works.. and that runs in full screen, the original exe (after a reboot) does the same as for Kanati, just text..

So, it works in fullscreen, but not in windowed.

Tracer

Gabor(Posted 2004) [#16]
Aye same for me, the 'errorcheck' never has the 'black screen' problem.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#17]
Ah, sweet :) The first demo was locked to 32bit x windowed mode, this one lets vivid decide what bpp to use.
Also, turned off pixel buffer objects.

Thanks for trying it again..

Mo(Posted 2004) [#18]
(just wanted to mention that I still have the problem even with the errorcheck-exe)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#19]
Aye Mo, I've been sat here thinking it over.

Can you confirm it crashes at the texture loading, even if you leave the window sitting there for say 10 seconds?

Freeimage(latest version) does the actual bitmap loading, although I do manually convert(in c++, not gl) the recieved bitmap into a unsigned byte buffer..

But other than that, loading textures doesn't do much.

Well, it does create A GL texture. Perhaps it's messing up on that front.

I just threw together this error check version, I'll put together a more informative version tonight, try and pin point the problem for you.

Mo(Posted 2004) [#20]
Can you confirm it crashes at the texture loading, even if you leave the window sitting there for say 10 seconds?

Well in both version the error message pops up, if i close this in any way, the main-window closes too. If I just leave the message open nothing happens.
Oh and in the windowed version a text appears in the upper-left, but only a "y" with two points on top of it.
I just updated my drivers from 56.?? to 61.??, but that didn't help.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#21]
What card do you have btw?

-Edit nm, saw it in your original post. Has it worked on any pre g5 card for anyone else?

I think it's the dot3x4. dotx3 should work on the older cards, and looks as nice(just have to use modx4 on the diffuse instead)..

puki(Posted 2004) [#22]
I'm staring down the barrel of a broken archive - unexpected end of archive. I'll have to try again later.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#23]
getting it now... btw, really slow download...

i've downloaded 60 mb in the time it's taking me to suck this one through the pipe...

you've put a lot of work into this... looks like you are almost there... be back with a 'report' in a sec...

[added]

Hey, It's Doom3!!!! :)

sorry... ok seriously,

errorcheck exe worked here too... very well done!!!

original exe just showed black window after flash of something being painted.

WinXP Radeon 9200 DX 9c

hey Ant... should this also work on non shader capable cards as well?

--Mike

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#24]
The errorcheck exe worked for me.
Very nice :)

Athlon XP 2500+, Radeon 9600 Pro

skn3(Posted 2004) [#25]
Neither work for me.

On the error check version, I see a flash of the sceene at the start, but then just black with text.

Vivid Log.
Initializing.
Initializing GL display.
Initializing Environment
Initializing Fx system
Initializing Text engine
Gpu supports VBOS
Projecting.
Setting back buffer
Creating lights
Initializing demo.
Loading Entity door2.3ds
Scaling entity to 4,4,4
Loading textures.
Purging default texture state
Applying textures
Applying blend modes
Amping normal map
Creating floor patch
Changing to per vertex color mode
Disabling back/front face cull on flr
Compiling mesh to VBOS
Updating Normals.(Slow method)
Compiling mesh to VBOS
Applying texture to floor
Updating normals
main loop begins
Applying Tangent mapping
Main display begins
Clsz
Entity Render->
Setting up fog
Setting up scene
Setting up surfaces
Rendering surface
Finished render.
Entity Render->
Setting up fog
Setting up scene
Setting up surfaces
Rendering surface
Setting up scene
Setting up surfaces
Rendering surface
Finished render.
Entity Render->
Setting up fog
Setting up scene
Setting up surfaces

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#26]
hey does the version of directx matter also Ant???

also, guys who having trouble, what dx version you running???

--Mike

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#27]
Cheers guys.

Skn, I think it might be a variable clash somewhere, but
I've improved the demo to allow camera movement, and lets you move the light up and down. Will upload in a bit, hopefully should work for you or at least indicate why it's not working.

Mr.Connery, Vivid uses the Glapi/drivers of a gpu, so only requires dx7. Reason being vivid currently borrows blitz's display window. But i plan on switching to sdl soon(When max comes)
GL support, will latest is best. Vivid uses features from gl1.2 to 1.5.1, but should run on any gl1.1+ card(I.e any card capable of multi-texturing.)

In fact, vivid should even run in software mode on older cards. Anyone have a card/setup I could test that theory on? :)

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#28]
I got MAV's with both exe's I am only capable of displaying 16 -bit colors though,
with the crappy Intel graphics card from 1998

EDIT-I renamed the EXE and it got to a black screen,and said'generating tangents' or something like that

LOG:
Vivid Log.
Initializing.
Initializing GL display.
Initializing Environment
Initializing Fx system
Initializing Text engine
Projecting.
Setting back buffer
Creating lights
Initializing demo.
Loading Entity door2.3ds
Scaling entity to 4,4,4
Loading textures.
Applying textures
Applying blend modes
Amping normal map
Creating floor patch
Compiling mesh to VBOS

Im pretty sure the card is incapable of showing normal maps,it cant do that thingie cubic-something that they use to make water look good

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#29]
With the Vivid_ErrorCheck1.exe I get 'Userlib not found'. Ran it from the desktop ie. not straight from the zip. Wierd.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#30]
i get the same thing Skitch is getting when i try it on a DX8.1 system with a non shader card...

... comeon Ant, WAKE UP and tell us what to do next :)

--Mike

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#31]
I'm still getting the illegal instruction with both exe's.

the original .exe creates a log file of:

Vivid Log.
Initializing.
Initializing GL display.
Initializing Environment
Initializing Fx system
Initializing Text engine
Gpu supports VBOS
Projecting.
Setting back buffer
Creating lights
Initializing demo.
Loading Entity door2.3ds
Scaling entity to 4,4,4
Loading textures.

whilst Vivid_ErrorCheck1.exe doesn't get far enough to write anything to the log file.

I have DX9c on winxp pro with the latest SP. 64mb geforce 3, 512mb ram.

dx9c needed for 3dsmax 7 to work apparently.

puki(Posted 2004) [#32]
I had the same problem as "Kanati" with regard to the first version - Second one is fine.

AMD 64 3200 - Radeon 9800 Pro - 1GB mem - WinXP

p.s. Very, very nice looking - well done.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#33]
BTW, can .FX files be used in GL at all, just wondering as that would allow artists to load and create their own from within 3d apps with WYSIWYG display in viewports. Allthough I guess GL might come out a little different than DX9 that max uses to view the shaders.

little 2.4mb tut video from the Max 7 site. I think Maya etc has DX9 support with shaders these days, not GL shaders as far as I know.

http://mtlstream02.discreet.com/streaming/ms/showdx_200k.wmv

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#34]
Only cgFx files, not regular fx files. Glsl might though.

Slenker, from your log it's clear your card doesn't support vertex buffer objects. Not to worry, vivid can use vertex arrays or display lists(vid memory mesh caches), this demo just explicity sets vbos.

Thanks puki. Next version will look even nicer hopefully, am mid-way through rewriting the tangent mapping in C++(So alot faster) and using a better method.

Also tightened up the texture loading, so if it fails now the problem is driver related. probably be sometime tomorrow tho..

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#35]
what's the deal with the userlib not found thing A... i only get it on a dx8.1 system...

am i trying to run it on a below min requirements machine??

--Mike

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#36]
Nope,userlib not found means literally, a function could not be found. A .dll is missing in other words. Are you using xp on the 8.1 machine? I'm thinking it may be vc2005 runtimes you know..they might ship with xp sp2 or something.

I have .net installed also..I might have accidentally set a option in vc that has made it dependent on it. though none of the code is,so it won't be a problem to sort out if so..

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#37]
k.. thx

just was curious if thios Vivid thing ran on a setup that didn't have a shader capapble card...

that would indeed be impressive.

--Mike

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#38]
Spaced_man-OK cool,

how long do you think it will take to convert vivid to be used in blitzmax instead of blitz3d?

Richard Betson(Posted 2004) [#39]
I get a memory access violation both versions.

Sys. specs. below

L8r,

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#40]
Red, honestly these demos should run on even old g2's, it's a bug not a geniune hardware clash, defnitely no shaders being used in this demo.

Slenker, to convret in blitzmax, hmm...a few days to replace the window class, then a few more days to replace the few b3d specific functions I wrap...Guess? around two weeks afte.r
That's the pc version though. Unless vivid takes off like wildfire, I won't be getting a mac for quite awhile. :)

Richard, could you post the log file the second one produced plz, if any?

puki(Posted 2004) [#41]
I find this thread impressive - "SpacedMan" clearly knows his stuff and is clearly going about bug fixing in a professional manner. Some people have been very critical of 'Vivid' and 'SpacedMan' in the past - but, hopefully, that is all in the past.

It goes to show that when people aren't 'picking' at him (like they do with "halo"), he can do very well without those distractions pulling him off topic.

Good stuff "SpacedMan"! Looking forward to 'Vivid'.

Richard Betson(Posted 2004) [#42]
@spacedMan

edit-
Vivid Log.
Initializing.
Initializing GL display.
Initializing Environment
Initializing Fx system
Initializing Text engine
Projecting.
Setting back buffer
Creating lights
Initializing demo.
Loading Entity door2.3ds
Scaling entity to 4,4,4
Loading textures.
Applying textures
Applying blend modes
Amping normal map
Creating floor patch
Compiling mesh to VBOS

I've re-unziped it all and get the same error.

"Generating Tangents" appears then it dies same error as stated above.

:/

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#43]
Ta puki. Funny how peaceful this place is without those two firestarters. twisted firestarters.(starts head banging to prodigy.) ;)

Richard, just to be sure, you run, it crashes and that is the state of the log at that point in time?
Generally, the normal code will only fail if the mesh didn't load, which in turn can only happen if it can't find the media. Did your unarchiver extract a folder called 3d, with a door and textures in it?

Richard Betson(Posted 2004) [#44]
Richard, just to be sure, you run, it crashes and that is the state of the log at that point in time?

yep. :)

Generally, the normal code will only fail if the mesh didn't load. Did you unarchiver extract a folder called 3d, with a door and textures in it?

yep:)
Door.3ds, textures and metal textures.

I also moved the example folder to the root directory.. no luck.

Also I added this edit above (just so you see it) - "Generating Tangents" appears then it dies same error as stated above.

edit- which I guess you did (normals)

L8r,

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#45]
hey puki... wait'll ya see the new criticisms thats' gonna be aimed at him... :)

...but hey, he's shown that he's a tuff guy, he can take it.

now stop giving him so much praise... he can hardly fit his head through the doors as is... :)

Ant... that's great to hear... bump mapping and other 'shader' effects running on GeForce2 and older hardware... whoooaaaaa.... that is really gonna kinda cool.

--Mike

wmaass(Posted 2004) [#46]
The error check exe works for me, the orginal does not. Good stuff!

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#47]
Same as wmaass here -- nice!

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#48]
I still get userlib not found even with the error check exe.

mongia2(Posted 2004) [#49]
Works fine
Windows xp
amd 2800
nvidia 5700
512 ram

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#50]
oh well, my athlon 1200 GF3 still gets illegal instructions, and the old P2 400 Geforce 2 gets a MAV. so it doesn't work on either of my systems.

on the P2 the vivid log ends with initialising GLBlitz system

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#51]
That's the anti-evak code working to full effect...;)

Ant... that's great to hear... bump mapping and other 'shader' effects running on GeForce2 and older hardware... whoooaaaaa.... that is really gonna kinda cool.

Heh, as much as I'd like to be the man who brings pixel shader fx to non-pixel shader cards, tis not to be.
G2, can do vert shaders though, be it in software or hardwaare.

But rest assured, bump-mapping ala doom3 will work on a g2 or my name's not Jim Branigann.

he can hardly fit his head through the doors as is..

Yeah, but that's just to accomadate my brain.:) (Joke)
-

thx for the feedback everyone else..not replying more specifically because i have a new version to upload in a bit, so have to see how that one pans out before I try to find out the true cause of the problem.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#52]
Hm, just noticed I had SSE optimizations on in vc... Anyone with a non-p3 (or better) cpu able to run the demo?

The texture_load functions are wrote in C++, so it might explain the crash.Will turn it off for the next update to be sure..

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#53]
might be my problem since I have a old athlon thunderbird that doesn't do SSE instructions. And I think the P2 is pre SSE too.

Mo(Posted 2004) [#54]
Since I seem to have the same cpu as Evak this could explain it.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#55]
Hm, just noticed I had SSE optimizations on in vc... Anyone with a non-p3 (or better) cpu able to run the demo?

I can't test, but I am certain that Athlon CPU's did not support SSE instructions until the Palomino ( which came after the Thunderbirds ) so it's a safe bet that you will have to disable SSE in order to make it work on the majority of Sub 1.5Ghz CPU's ( of which there are many still around. )

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#56]
Yeah Syb, although I was under the impression no amd at all could do sse, but tit for tat..little difference.

Anyway, this is good news if it is the case, as the actual code makes no use of SSE, so provided it is the problem..well, it ain't a problem. :)

Will upload the new version in about an hour, so we'll see.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#57]
AMD does SSE I do believe in the 64 bit range and the Bartons. Less sure about the palomino, but maybe. I haven't tried the new version as I haven't been checking in here since friday but I'll give it a go tonight maybe.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#58]
Just tested it now. It works perfectly on my Palomino. That's the original version, I didn't need to download the error check exe ( unless you've updated the main download to include that now. )

Anyway, no problems at all, and a nice looking effect.

Athlon 2700
Radeon 9700 Pro
Win XP

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#59]
Cool. Hopefully this new one will work on your other machines too.

This one has most C++ side optimizations off.
Also, updated the main demo. You can now move around the scene(standard WASD+mouse controls)

Also, if you keep in lmb, the light anchors to the camera position. And you can move about with it.

Q is wireframe now, not w.

Backface culling is on the door/floor now, so it's not a bug when you can't see the door from the other side..it's not double sided in the model it's self.

http://www.excess.eclipse.co.uk/Vivid_3DExample1_2.zip

Just copy the .exe and dll in the previous demo folder(I.e 3d example_1) and run as before..

fingers crossed amd users? :)

Edit -oh, and this one doesn't use dot3x4 anymore, so it doesn't look as nice. easily reactivated though.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#60]
I haven't downloaded anything new, but I reran the first demo and found that this time, it didn't load anything, just a black screen with "press w for wireframe". On a hunch, I deleted the "cached" folder that the demo creates when run and it runs fine. So apparently you're leaving a couple of zero length cache files in there after the demo ends which you should probably delete.

If anyone has been getting a black screen, try deleting the "cached" folder and see if it solves it.

GameCoder(Posted 2004) [#61]
Works perfectly here.

The new download that is.

Mo(Posted 2004) [#62]
Yes, works!

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#63]
Thanks for that syb, had no idea that caused a problem. Although I did remove that actually(The new update shouldn't create them. Was just remains from the old blitz-wrote texture loader(Now uses freeimage), still be nice to know if that was the problem with other people rather than a hardware issue. So please check guys, even if the new one works ;)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#64]
i still get a user lib not found error on the dx8.1 GeForce2 xp machine...

--Mike

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#65]
Well, that's a missing .dll, all the vivid specific .dlls are definitely included, so it's something missing in your windows installation.
Try getting the latest ms runtimes, or using another archiver.

Dx version doesn't matter really, not a single line of dx code in vivid, all opengl.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#66]
my athlon1200 gets a missing userlib, and the P2 a MAV.

Might redownload the whole thing later when I have time and try again.

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#67]
Tested your example on a work machine

P4, W2000 Service pack4, Nividia Quadro2 MXR/EX 64mb (opengl capable card)

Downloaded your Vivid_3DExample1_1.zip , the errorcheck version, Vivid_3DExample1_2.zip and installed in order.

Vivid_3DExample1_1.exe goes to full-screen, then back to desktop with a mav (ran second time and it rebooted my machine - which was a bit worrying)

errorcheck - mav

Vivid_3DExample1_2.exe goes to full screen, 'tangent mapping' appears upper left, then back to the desktop with a mav

vivid_Log.txt contains no data

mongia2(Posted 2004) [#68]
work fine...

windows xp
512 ram
nvidia 5700
amd 2800

fps 9-10 width fraps......slowwwwwww

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#69]
Don't worry about the speed, the tangent mapping process is a prototype wrote in b3d using thoushands of tform calls per frame, i've nearly finished the C++ rewrite.

Here's the same demo without that process, with an fps counter and a high poly(About 120x120x2 tiles) floor patch.

*Press* Q, to see the wireframe view to get an idea of how many polys there are.

http://www.excess.eclipse.co.uk/Vivid_3DExample1_3.zip

Even on my old p800, budget g5(That runs doom3 at about 1fps) I get an average of 120fps. (The demo above, without the prototype code runs at over 300fps)

And this is just raw rendering, no octrees, lod or anything going on. (Vivid does have them is my point..those parts will be demoed over the coming weeks.)

puki(Posted 2004) [#70]
Ooh more demos - I didn't notice example 2 buried in there.

It's like chuffing Christmas!

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#71]
Octacon

'P4, W2000 Service pack4, Nividia Quadro2 MXR/EX 64mb (opengl capable card) '

Graphics Core: 256-bit
Triangles per Second: 25 Million
Pixels Per Second: 400 Million
Memory Bandwidth: 2.93 GBytes/s
NVIDIA Shading Rasterizer (NSR)
Second Generation Transform and Lighting (T&L)
Unified Driver Architecture (UDA)
32-bit Z/Stencil Buffer
32 MBytes Unified Frame Buffer
AGP 4X with Fast Writes
Digital Vibrance Control (DVC)

Should the demo run on the above specs? The Quadro2 is a couple of years old now - I believe its basically a souped up Geforce2 - no shader support.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#72]
Vivid should, although bear in mind these demos have no safety checks. They're targetting a specific set of features..generally vivid can pick the best pathways/lighting options for you.

I.e Lights_Set(Lights_BestQuality)

will set the lights to the best quality on the gpu the app is running on. (dot3 per pixel, or vertex on lower end machines)

Shaders have a fail silent switch, so if they fail they simply return false so you can very easily code multiple pipelines with the more advanced end.

Like,

WaterShader=Shader_Load("Water",Shader_VertAndPixel)
if not waterShader
;Non shader pipeline
game_RenderLowTech()
else
game_RenderHiTech()
endif

Of course, you can just have one pipeline and omit the fx all together on cards no capable, if you don't wish to recode a pipeline for older hardware.

You can assert things to...

Assert_Feature(Feature_PerPixelLights,"Destiny Blade requires a card capable of per pixel lighting")

feature_perpixel being a part of constants.

Plus, compatiblity is my biggest concern atm..once the initial release is out of the way, expect a ton of daily updates.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#73]
Example 1_3 works, but the door is unextured... Not important, but it would look nicer if it was.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#74]
I'm getting userlib not found, but its getting further than the illegal operation :)

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#75]
Example 1_2 works fine on P-M 1,5ghz with Mobility Radeon 9700

wmaass(Posted 2004) [#76]
Just friggin lovely Spacey!

angel martinez(Posted 2004) [#77]
It works fine here!
(Amd64, G5, WXP ,DX 9.c)

Richard Betson(Posted 2004) [#78]
Ok...

I've installed all of the above. Version 3 runs BUT, all I get is a black screen with ">60" which is the FPS (?).

Making progress :)

L8r,

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#79]
I've installed all of the above. Version 3 runs BUT, all I get is a black screen with ">60" which is the FPS (?).

Is there a folder called "cached" in the demo folder? If so, delete it and run Version 3 again.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#80]
I get 'cant set graphics mode' on version 3
Did you set the color depth to 32?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#81]
Yep, will change to zero in the next one.

Btw, I just realised something, the door texture d used is 1024x1024, that may be why it fails on the *old* cards.

Richard, might be the same thing, try changing the textures provided to anything around 256x256/512x512 produced in paint.

Did your log say anything about VBO supported?

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#82]
Ive used 1024 textures before with no probs

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#83]
I've used 2048x2048 lightmaps on my Geforce 2 no problem so I doubt the more common popular cards will have a problem with 1024x1024

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#84]
I'll be uploading a new demo in a bit anyways, showing off the octree system using vivid's new terrain generator. Gain about 50fps just by using octrees, even on this piece of junk, should be interesting to see how that runs..

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#85]
gis the demo

TeaVirus(Posted 2004) [#86]
The first and second versions work perfectly but I get 'userlib not found' when running the third.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#87]
Are you concerned about the mass numbers of systems this seems to have a problem with or is it all coding errors on the demos themselves?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#88]
Not really. The user lib not found error is just a missing .dll. I'll fix that by running the exe through a dependency checker.

Quite a few of the errors were fixed by the second demo anyway, even for those who couldn't run the first.
Alot of the older cards failing is not vivid's fault, it's just they don't support vertex buffer objects.(Only impleneted in series 55.5 drivers and up),- which btw Richard, is why it failed on your machine. Check your log, there's no 'Supports VBO' tag.-

Not to mention the demo uses dot3x4, which is a pretty new blending technique afaik.

So it's only a few geniune problems caused elsewhere. Which is true of most new software. The hardware incompatibilities are only true of this demo..vivid doesn't use anything remotely next-gen unless you tell it to.

As for the few real bugs(Which only exist on certain setups, it runs without a hitch here.always has), I have no intention of not fixing them..panic ye not.