Mario Dash 1.2

Community Forums/Showcase/Mario Dash 1.2

Eikon(Posted 2004) [#1]
I don't think this section of the forum existed when I first released this so I thought I'd show you version 1.2 which features a new Castlevania graphics mode.

This brings the graphics mode total to 3, so you can play either Super Mario, Ice Climber, or Castlevania style if you want. The level database is still open to submissions so if you finish a map please take a second and contribute it by using the upload map feature inside the editor.

Download Mario Dash 1.2
(full source as always)

I also made two new maps, Castlevania1/2.mdm to show how to use the new tileset. There are over 30 other maps already included as well.

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#2]
Just downloaded this a bit ago, I remember playing the original when you made if for that one-button comp. over at BCoder.com long ago.

Only problem I noticed is that its not all smooth here on my new PC, it wants to jerk every second in the game itself (not the title screen), and I dont recall that every happening on v1.0 back when I played it on my older PC...

Like the additional graphic modes, any chance you'll add in some music for those schemes as well?
(Castlevania2 on the NES had some memorable scores in it, though I dont know how you'd do the same for Ice Climber...)

Eikon(Posted 2004) [#3]
Hi Gen.

The frame timing has VWait on, so if you're in windowed at a Hz way above 60, you'll get jerky scrolling. I haven't modified that part of the code so try a lower refresh rate or fullscreen.

any chance you'll add in some music for those schemes as well?

I put a couple of classic Castlevania songs in the music folder; vania1.xm and vania2.mod.

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#4]
Still jerky even when I set it to 60hz for both windowed and fullscreen....(agh my poor eyes)

BTW, incase you didnt know, some funky things go on when you switch from full-screen to windowed during a game. ><

[EDIT] Ah, you have included Castlevania music, didnt know music was set by the map.

Eikon(Posted 2004) [#5]
Thanks for the feedback. I'll look into these issues.

[edit]Definitely something going on with the fullscreen switch. I'm gonna compare code to version 1.0 tonight and see if I can't find out what went wrong.

[edit2]Very interesting find here. Turns out the fullscreen problems were being caused by a bug in version 1.39 of B+. I use a created image for my collision layer and with 1.39 when you switch to full the entire image gets filled with garbled pixels, that's why the character would rise to the top of the screen. I downgraded to 1.37 and everything is back to normal now, even the scrolling seems smoother. Please see if the updated zip fixes your problems Gen.

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#6]
Runs beatifully now. :)