GemGem (boulderdash)

Community Forums/Showcase/GemGem (boulderdash)

coffeedotbean(Posted 2004) [#1]

Game is based on GemJam by http://www.flyordie.com/

I also used the graphics from their game.... but dont tell them. I'll replce the gfx ASAP.

This little demo is just to test the boulder\gem physics cus it took over 1 week to get it sorted. Thankyou rockford.

Main features are smooth perpixel boulder\gem movment.

Player cannot die and nowt happens when you collect all the gems.

Controls are cursor keys and ESC.

Download: http://www.freewebs.com/coffeedaman/gem.zip (600kb) - (Right click link and Save As)

elseano(Posted 2004) [#2]
Quite fun. All seems to be working fine.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#3]
Yep, all seems fine here, runs smoothly, boulders fall as they should.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2004) [#4]
wOOt it past the Perturbatio test.. now I am sure its bug free. Yipee.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#5]
I only ran it once, give me a few more goes on it :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#6]
ok, found a repeatable error. :)

One of the boulders does not fall if you take the gem away from under it in a certain way. Once this happens, you can no longer walk under the boulder (the areas I've highlighted in red indicate the no go area).

See a screenshot of the problem here

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#7]
ok, here are the moves to reproduce the error:

R5 D2 L2 R1 D2 L3 D2 R1 D1 L1 D1 U1 R2 D2 R1 U1 D1 R2 L1 U1 R3 D1 R1 U1 R1 U1 R1 L1 <pause> U1 R1 (quickly) <pause> L1

MWahahahahaha! You cannot escape the Perturbatio Bug Detector(tm)!

*EDIT*
On further testing, this only seems to happen if you move right (just before (quickly)) just as the gem is dropping.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#8]
Another very minor thing, if you hold down and a direction key whilst over a static block, you walk in the appropriate direction, if you do it over a rock, you do not move.

coffeedotbean(Posted 2004) [#9]
Damn it... sounds easy to fix though, sounds like the Array is not reseting to 0 as it should.

1 day I will write some thing that is bug free and on that day you will all be doomed.. doomed I tells ya... Wahahahah! WHAHAHAHAHAH!.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#10]
I sense... a disturbance in the source... as though a million bugs cried out in pain...then silence.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#11]
Well??? did you fix it?

coffeedotbean(Posted 2004) [#12]
Yup is fixed, had no chance to work some more on it cus I just took an evening job, stright from college to work mon-friday, im out the house from 8am-10pm monday to friday... so my blitzing is gona be reduced. But I need the $$$ for chrimbo.