Z Virus ( with source)

Community Forums/Showcase/Z Virus ( with source)

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#1]

This was going to be my entry to the 2004 contest but for obvious reasons was dissallowed. Anyway, it's the complete game and source - controls are in readme.

Hope you like.

http://www.steviegoodwin.plus.com/Z_Virus.zip

Cheers
Stevie

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#2]
Oh, wow, that looks *sweet*! Downloading...

big10p(Posted 2004) [#3]
That does look very cool, in a retro kind of way. I never played the original so looking forward to giving this a go.

BTW, why was this not allowed for the contest? The reason isn't obvious to me. :)

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#4]
Didn't read the rules properly and chanced my arm - I'd started this a while before the contest so only fair it was disqualified.

BTW .. just noticed that when you Pause - you need to hit LMB to get the pause menu up. Must have been left when taking screenshots .. doh!!

Hope you like - feedback welcome.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#5]
I remember reading a review in a speccy mag and they were complaining about the difficulty with the control system, it didnt seem difficult at all to me.
good game but I dont know how to play properly didnt look at the manual yet!

Big&(Posted 2004) [#6]
Really nice and looks dead polished.

Shame I cant still fly the bloody thing :)

Looks ace when you knock the landscape size up.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#7]
I enjoyed playing this quite a bit. :)

Feedback, well, as I've never played the original I can't compare.

I initially found the mouse control tricky but soon got the hang of it, mostly. I found aiming at enemies the most difficult thing, especially when high up with the ground completely out of view. Very difficult to gauge where things are in 3D space, relative to player position. Not sure how you could solve this, though. The targeting system helps, as does the scanner, but I still found it hard. Combination of getting old and needing more practice I guess. :)

I'll definately go back to this and have another go. Well done.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#8]
I can't find the obvious reasons it was disallowed. What are they?

Murilo(Posted 2004) [#9]
He started the project prior to the competition start date.

'Tis a cracking remake.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#10]
Yeah, it's really nicely done -- loads of attention to detail! I love the graphics, the square particles and everything. As Big& says, bumping up the landscape size makes it look even better. If only I didn't suck so bad at it, just as I sucked at the original... :/

How about a Zeewolf 2 clone? I can play that!

(If I had my way, all computer games would look like Zeewolf.)

Zenith(Posted 2004) [#11]
Steve, that is an amazing remake, great job! I wish I could rip the terrain/shadow system out :D

Then again, I could -- but reading through all that code trying to understand it isn't quite too fun. :D

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#12]
Stevie: please can you make the controls the same as the original, so I can flip the ship through a full 360 degrees in any direction? - if makes the game much more skilful and allows you to shoot stuff above you rather than having to boost upwards to be able to hit enemies.

Apart from that it's superb!

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#13]
Thanks folks. As anyone who remembers the original will tell you - the game was pretty tough and I think I've replicated that well - it's tough for me too!! Each ship has various stats ( I think the data label is FlyingObjectData or something like that which you could mess about with to make it a bit easier. Also, if you look at the "Wavedata" you could add a few Allies in there and don't forget the Bullet Spread power ups.

Vorderman - I'm at work but if you look at the "HOVERPLANE" data as per above there is a min and max pitch variable. If you change the min pitch to -180, instead of 0 this may work for you. I remember having this argument with you before but I'd love to see you trying to land the thing with full 360degree pitching .. ;)

@ James - never really played Zeewolf so it'd be impossible for me to do, I agree about the look - this was when 3d computer games looked more like games!!

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#14]
I'll give that a try tonight, thanks.

I don't recall having an 'argument' about it - maybe an active discussion :)

For me, you see, Zarch was a man's game, requiring skilful manly control and tollerating no girlie limp-wristedness. It was for reeeaall men (or at least really manly geeks).

Panno(Posted 2004) [#15]
wow

thx for sharing !

Wiebo(Posted 2004) [#16]
cool! thanks

EOF(Posted 2004) [#17]
Really excellent remake. Played the game a little way back in Amiga days.
The gfx/sfx are the dogs danglers. Definate retro feel.

Reminds me of Starglider2. That would also be a cool remake to do.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#18]
A couple of questions:

How can I tell which ships are my allies and how do they help me, exactly? I've just been shooting everything that moves! :P

How do I collect power-ups? Are they the boxes like the one on the landing pad when you start? I've tried shooting them and landing on them but can't seem to do it.

Zenith(Posted 2004) [#19]
Haha, funny you mention Starglider 2, Morduun is making it:
http://www.echthros.com/html/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=index&catid=1&topic=

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#20]
big10p - You only get allies at the beginning of levels 13 17 & 21 - see the "AL" column in the WaveData and add as many as you like.

Basically, they act like the demo mode and attach anything they find. If you can protect them (not easy ) you get them at the beginning of the next wave too. The bigger landing pad only holds about 14 I think. They are the green ships and start on the landing pad with you ( white dots on the radar ).

Shoot the boxes (like the one on the landing pad ) - if you find a few on the trot it accumulates and the timer starts from the beginning again. There's 10 per level (not wave )

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#21]
We need a hunter/midwinter remake

rbraz(Posted 2004) [#22]
I like it a lot !
Good Job !

Phil Newton(Posted 2004) [#23]
We need a hunter/midwinter remake

A MidWinter remake is the first thing on my "ToDo" list when I get a new PC. It totally rocked.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#24]
Yeah, someone do Hunter!

big10p(Posted 2004) [#25]
big10p - You only get allies at the beginning of levels 13 17 & 21

lol. That'll explain why I haven't seen them, then! :)

I see how the power-ups work now - not sure how I missed that before. :/

The game has great atmosphere and SFX. I was impressed with the AI, too. ;)

Who was John Galt?(Posted 2004) [#26]
Sweet - I hope you've got the big fish in there - played the Amiga version many times and only saw it once.

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#27]
It's in there ... listen for the whale noise. Or hit F1 a couple of times to see where they are ;)

LineOf7s(Posted 2004) [#28]
:o(

I've had seven attempts to download this 94.7K file, using a variety of methods, and it keeps coming down as a 'corrupt' zip file.

Given no-one else seems to be having any problems, it's with a certain wishful thinking that I ask... "Is it me?"

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#29]
Was uploading a version without screenshots etc.. last night and my ISP wen't down. Uploaded now though :)

LineOf7s(Posted 2004) [#30]
Now that could have something to do with it. :o)

While I was waiting, I downloaded MicroPrix and Tanx. Excellent stuff.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#31]
I would pay for a hunter remake - but not a straight remake, it has to have a bit of extra gameplay
I dont remember there being much shooting in the original or explosions.

matt!(Posted 2004) [#32]
Amazing work, Steve!

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#33]
Stevie G

Just had a look again at this - you did a fine job here sir! This is brilliant!

IPete2.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#34]
Why thank you ..

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2006) [#35]
I played this again a couple of weeks ago. I'm still crap and could not play it at all. Why is it so hard?

IPete2(Posted 2006) [#36]
It was designed to be hard Tim! Ha ha ha - (Wasn't it an Archimedes game?) I must admit when I had the original I fell out with it very quicky as i couldn't control it very well at all, on an Atari ST I think. Any way Stevie G has put in a variety of cameras, check out the chase cam for an easier game, and dont forget to use the rockets! My 12 year old thinks it is great! - cause he can control it. Lol.

Stevie - on a different note, do you think that the landscape building/drawing routine could be adapted to make 'unlimited' terrain? (limited by data available for it)?

IPete2.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2006) [#37]
Played this a while ago and it's a great conversion - though I seem to remember the original was less forgiving and you could flip over more easily.

I bought 2 versions of the original - the Archimedes Zarch and the Atari ST's Virus. It's one of my favourite games so thanks for writing a PC version.

Stevie G(Posted 2006) [#38]
Stevie - on a different note, do you think that the landscape building/drawing routine could be adapted to make 'unlimited' terrain? (limited by data available for it)?

Sure it could be used for infinate terrain although vertex manipulation is quite slow. Perhaps SpaceMonkeys dll would allow quicker and faster access?

I'll not be touching this again mind you ;)