Dizzy Remake

Community Forums/Showcase/Dizzy Remake

Anthony Sherratt(Posted 2004) [#1]
Just thought I'd post to let you all know my Dizzy 1 Remake has now been released. It was made for the Retro Remakes Competition 2004. Use to love these games when I was a kid, thought it would be a good idea to remake one for the competition.

My version has the following improvements over the original;
- Now scrolls, no more flip screen.
- Updated graphics
- Updated sound
- Extra challenge of finding 30 coins throughout the map

You can view the screenshots along with the link for download here.

Please I would love your c & c on this along with any bugs you may find! I kinda had to rush it in for the deadline so I didnt have much time to playtest it :)

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#2]
I commented on the showcase, but I'll repeat myself. Seriously slick work, great graphics, great code, just a great job all round and the only possible "bug" I could find is that the birds occasionally got caught on the scenery, which may well be a feature of the original for all I remember.

Between you and TCK, Blitz has a great chance in the competition.

Ethan3850(Posted 2004) [#3]
Way cool... just don't tell Codemasters.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#4]
Anthony, I can see your news submission about this on the front page, but I don't think we can publish it as Codemasters don't even allow the distribution of their old 8-bit games, so I can't imagine they'd be too happy about it if they hear. (Looking forward to trying it though!)

simonh(Posted 2004) [#5]
Oops, I published it - forgot about copyright issues. I guess we can leave it up for now.

Superb remake Anthony - graphics are lovely, and the overall polish is excellent.

One small complaint - it took me ages to work out that I needed to press D to access the menu. Might want to allow space and return to act as the fire button as well.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#6]
yeah, that whole D thing got me as well.

So when you remaking Treasure Island Dizzy? :)

That was my favourite one.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#7]
Love this man :o) Excellent work!

Caff(Posted 2004) [#8]
Very nice, yeah the controls aren't obvious though

-=Darkheart=-(Posted 2004) [#9]
To be fair to Anthony it does say in the read me and the guide to use "D" for everything so you could always RTFM before playing. Although I think the addition of space as a default fire button would be more obvious.

As I said in the other thread I do think this is amazing work, a great balance of extras and faithfullness. It's also very clean, very slick and just and an all-round great job.

I hope Codemasters don't sit on it and if they do see it that they offer to do something sensible with it.

Darkheart

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#10]
Nice game. I love Dizzy games. But again like everyone else says, be prepared to suddenly go into hiding if codemasters find out.

Then you can just pallette change him to red and call your game fizzy ;)

Ethan3850(Posted 2004) [#11]
I have birds stuck in scenery as well, at first I thought it was to stop you getting the shovel without the needed item, but the birds get stuck in slightly different places, so maybe not?

Great work, as enjoyable (and irritating) as the original... in fact better!

Anthony Sherratt(Posted 2004) [#12]
I cant think you all enough for the great comments! Im really glad you like it.

I do agree with the Codemasters comments though, it would be a mighty shame if they did stop me from releasing the game. Although I did hear that the Oliver twins are not really bothered (as long as there is no profit being gained), they are quite proud that their creation is still living on!

As for the 'D' thing, I thought it would be best to stay clear from certain buttons due to some problems on certain keyboards/laptops. I used 'D' due to you 'dropping an item' where as 'P' (picking up an item) was too near to the arrow keys. YES... there is method to my madness :) Anyway as someone has mentioned, dont people read the readmes anymore ? ;P

Also the bird problem I know about, thanks Sainfohi. This'll be solved along with a few other bugs with the updated version in a couple of days.

...but again, thanks for the comments! Keep 'em comin' :D

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#13]
This is really a great remake. BTW. could you please resize the news-page image to 400*300 Pixels? Because the page-layout is pretty much messed up on a lot of monitors, thanks.

Anthony Sherratt(Posted 2004) [#14]
Sorry about that, there ya go! Thanks for the comments :)

GfK(Posted 2004) [#15]
There's a "Why don't they remake... Dizzy" feature in issue 24 of GamesTM. You may want to check it out.

Anthony Sherratt(Posted 2004) [#16]
Just to let you all know, Dizzy has been updated to version 1.02. Heres whats been changed...

CHANGE: Totally rewritten the Redefine Keys, so no more selecting the same key twice for different directions!
ADDED: Joystick support.
BUG: You no longer get stuck between the two huts next to the Grease Gun.
BUG: Fixed a strange bug where the game would crash if you killed a spider.
BUG: Birds and Bats now don't get stuck in the scenery
BUG: Corrected the timing of the gamma fades on the intro.
CHANGE: Slightly changed the spider graphics, now you can’t see the background through his eyes!
BUG: Numerous slight bugs on the audio changing, all now are hopefully gone.

Just visit the link in the first post if your interested, thanks :)

nrasool(Posted 2004) [#17]
Just had a quick play around, very cool. I remember playing this game on the amstrad, so i was pleased that someone remade it. Hopefully fantasy land dizzy will be remade as well as magical land dizzy..

Hmmmm... possible project for me ;)

EOF(Posted 2004) [#18]
This remake can be summed up in one word ... "Slick"
Really nice to play. Good feel to the game.

Zace(Posted 2004) [#19]
Sweeeeet. I too cant wait for Treasure Island Dizzy.... any chance ?

Anthony Sherratt(Posted 2004) [#20]
Thanks for the comments guys, glad you liked it!

As for more Dizzy remakes? We'll see, I want to complete some of my other projects first before I start looking into that. Although it does seem to be the next best step, so it looks like a possibility :)