qoob 0.7b DEMO (RC1) Released!

Community Forums/Showcase/qoob 0.7b DEMO (RC1) Released!

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#1]
That's right we have finally released the next version of qoob. It's taken 7 months but then we have added an awful lot the game and written and released the hugely popular RetroSphere in that time.

This release is a beta build of the DEMO version of qoob. If we don't find any problems with this it's likely to be the version we use for the final build. So get beta testing! We still need about 50 more worlds to create so if you fancy getting your name in lights why not try designing a world and submitting it to us for inclusion in the final game. Go grab a copy here http://www.boiledsweets.com/qoob

Here you can see the yellow door surrounded by timebombs - not nice.

Here you can see the Krait system. Which world to visit next?

qoob comes shipped with the world editor we wrote to build the worlds.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#2]
Sorry the version I uploaded had the game music volume set to zero in the ini file. I have uploaded the archive again so that the music is audible as default.

If you do not want to download it again just go to options/audio and tick the music enabled check box and slide the music volume slider up.

Zenith(Posted 2004) [#3]
This is nice and fun, but it'd be funner if it wasn't so choppy (I'm on my laptop right now: its a p4 2.8ghz 512mb ram and an integrated intel 2 graphics card 3d <- yeck) Anyway it could just be that you need game timing code.. :D

Nevertheless it is fun.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#4]
Zentih,

it was tested (in fact developed mostly) on my Dell Latitude D505 Pentium M 1,4ghz, 512 ram and integrated Intel 82852 gfx card card and runs super smooth.

We employ render tweening so it should not be choppy.

Could you do me a favour and when its choppy hit the F11 key and let me know the stats displayed. Basically it should show render fps, update fps and game login fps.

Thanks.

Also what res and you running in. Try 800*600*16 no aa.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#5]
Nice Editor, tho, whenever you want to add a new feature, you'll need to add a "Set -whatever" Button to the Gui. That's why I tend to use Miniscripts for such definitions, instead of plain GUI-Driven Editors. So I don't have to update Editor and Engine parallely. Anyway, nice to see this is getting bigger.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#6]
jfk,

what do you mean by miniscripts...

Zenith(Posted 2004) [#7]
Sorry, I don't check my posts as much as I should, I'll get back with you on them later today -- its 5am and I havnt gone to bed yet. :D

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#8]
*BUMP*

So has anyone else got any thoughts on qoob? I'm in the process of adding teleports too. Remember this is supposed to be an atmospheric 3d maze not a blood fest FPS.

Thanks.

Zenith(Posted 2004) [#9]
I enjoyed it alot, good fun. :D

WolRon(Posted 2004) [#10]
Well, I got a memory access violation after I fell to my death...

Also, I feel that the player moves way too fast and turns (with the mouse) EXTREMELY too fast. You should have options in your game to slow these down. Another option could be to have another key pressed (say like the SHIFT key) in order to move fast.

Trying to change resolutions on my system did not work.

Many missing words (especially the word 'key') or misspelled words (even on your nag screen).

Found the Newbieski level extremely hard for a beginner. It took me four trys to solve it and that was only because I didn't follow the rules. Your instructions told me to go back and open the red door, but if I do, I don't have enough jet fuel left to get back. I know that my wife or kids would not be able to solve even the Newbieski level because they would not be co-ordinated enough to pull off some of the jumping/flying maneuvers.

Jet fuel is very short lived.

Got a second memory access violation while menu was loading after falling to my death.

Noticed that although the player can't move, he still is able to jump/fly after the time runs out.

Had at least four memory access violations while playing it so far.

Jumping over timebombs in a single height pathway is very hard, especially because the player moves so fast. Timing the jump is purely a stroke of luck.