CP - Alien Breed Remake - 5

Community Forums/Showcase/CP - Alien Breed Remake - 5

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#1]
http://www.perturbatio.com/files/AB/code.zip
http://www.perturbatio.com/files/AB/media.zip
http://www.perturbatio.com/files/AB/music.zip

Last Zip update: 2004-10-04 23:24:10 (Forum Time)

TODO:

Player, Alien clipping and accuracy
- improve collision detection with player/alien, bullet/alien, alien/player, alien/wall and player/wall.

Weapon Graphics
- For when you see them on the ground and pick em up! Also we need dead people decals! (see extend editor)

Different bad guys (need more, more!!!)
- Extend the Alien type to allow for different bad guys, including face huggers scuttling around and stuff. This would mean the radius needs to be included in the type and probably an offset variable so the image is drawn centrally, ie 64x64 would have an offset of 32 a 32x32 would have an offset of 16 etc.

Sound (partially done)
- There is some sound media in the original downloads from coffeedotbean but this needs to be implemented.

Ammo
- Needs to distiguish what weapons it's for

Intex system console
- Tiles for the intex systems so player can access it, this allows players to buy armour, weapons, ammo, health, etc. Maybe even sell stuff too?!

More Alien media
- Currently it's not animated, doesn't die etc etc. And if we made more than one alien too, also I think we need static bad guys too like auto cannons etc.

More Player media
- Personally I think we can cut half the animation frames out and you'd not notice, and use the spares for death and pain animation.
- More rotation animation?

Extend Editor (nearly/partially done)
-Need an object & script editor

Extend Scripting (basics in place)
- Need trigger code for 'onevery(n)' and 'onrandom(n,m)' and script support for createalien(), playsound(), animate()
for placing bad guy spawn points , ambient sounds, animated decals etc. (Mark Tiffany to progress code, feel free to create some animations).

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#2]
Stickied already. That was fast :)

Matthew Smith(Posted 2004) [#3]
Rob,

I'm certainly happy to go with your Intex system as I thought it was pretty cool - that's one of the reasons I kept it seperate. Just wanted to do something that could be used - perhaps the framework could be hacked.

I guess everyone has been pretty busy - looking forward to getting back to regular updates!

Snader(Posted 2004) [#4]
With the current code and media I get errors that images do not exist...

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#5]
mmm, the media needs to be updated with the latest intex images.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#6]

Updated intex system so it's a bit flashier!

Sent email to Pert with new intex background media.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#7]
new media.zip is being uploaded as we speak, also can get the new graphic here

_PJ_(Posted 2004) [#8]

Different bad guys (need more, more!!!)
- Extend the Alien type to allow for different bad guys, including face huggers scuttling around and stuff. This would mean the radius needs to be included in the type and probably an offset variable so the image is drawn centrally, ie 64x64 would have an offset of 32 a 32x32 would have an offset of 16 etc.

ImageHeight() and/or ImageWidth() should sort that no problem. Also allowing you to have non-square images

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#9]
New particles.bb this gives each particle an order so particles can be drawn above or below the action. This fixes a bugette introduced to make blood be drawn after the players. The problem with this is that alien blood splats float above players too... not ideal. Anyway... New particles.bb

Createparticle now has an extra parameter of order that defaults to 1 (above the action)

Also a bit of engine.bb has been updated to take into account the order of particle drawing....

As you can see with this drawparticles now has an order number sent to it. When you create a particle it defaults to order 1 (above the action) so if you want bloodsplats after something dies then you'd give it an order of 0. (see above)

Also aliens.bb needed to be updated to set the blood splat order to 0 (note: this is just the alien_die function)

Also whilst I was about it I made it so the face huggers leave a smaller blood splatter than the big guys.

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#10]
I've sent Perty a new code.zip and new image for the objects. I've added the onLoad and OnEvery to the scripting. I've added some default things in the objects.png such as:
www.3030deathwar.co.uk/downloads/ab/objects.png
- Spawn an alien on load
- Spawn a hugger on load
- Spawn an alien every 10 seconds
- Spawn an alien every 30 seconds
- Spawn a hugger every 10 seconds
- Spawn a hugger every 30 seconds
(These are just examples I've implemented to show you what they do)

I'll do the player start and intex system interaction now

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#11]
ouch. Here's another update. I suspect I've still got a tiny bit of bandwidth...

- Added player start points (add them in the editor)
- Added action button. Stand near (see below) an intex terminal to use it. Key = return

Here's the new objects.png, www.3030deathwar.co.uk/downloads/ab/objects.png

Also, the code.zip: www.3030deathwar.co.uk/downloads/ab/code.zip

------------------
I've checked around you for an action, so:
  []
[][][]
  []

will be checked as you can't stand ON an intex terminal. Only problem is we have to keep onAction things at least 2 tiles awat from each other to keep from confusing this function. It might try and run the wrong one.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#12]
I'm having ftp trouble at the moment, I may have to wait until tomorrow to try again.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#13]
Rims, why not check the onaction stuff based on what square you're heading for?

Check the tile location under the current x,y (x/32 , y/32) then do a check of the tile location where the player is headed (x+1 / 32,y /32) then if these tile locations are different do a gettile for the onaction stuff.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#14]
zips updated

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#15]
What's everyone working on at the moment? I can see us working hard on something and when the times comes to update find out that someone else has done that bit... but better.

I'm working on scripting at the moment.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#16]
Doing graphics here

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#17]
I've been messing around with the GUI, thinking about doing a listbox component.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#18]
Don't know if this will help, it's from my own gui thingy. You send the options as a | seperated list. No scrolling though.

Snader(Posted 2004) [#19]
I was experimenting with the graphics and I thought these intex-objecttiles would be nice. I made these because I thought that the former ones didn't look that good in Fullscreen.

Also the AMMO object was altered a bit by me...

I'm off to New Zealand for the next month so, good luck to you all!

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#20]
First new alien... 8 frames of animation, 16 rotations. I know this can't be added at the moment, but this is what I'm working on at the moment. Creating or lifting 3D models and turing them into sprites. This was my first attempt using the caustic md3 from polycount, I had to import it into milkshape, bone it, pose it, then animate it. Saved it out as a b3d, then wrote a little program to render the frames and rotations.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#21]
it would be nice to have a couple of spawn animations.
maybe burst from the floor and wall animations.

*EDIT*

not that I'm knocking what you've done so far, it looks good :)

RiK(Posted 2004) [#22]
Quick suggestion, could you maybe [edit] the first post in the thread to include the date/time the zips were last updated..?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#23]

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#24]
With these new player graphics we should be able to get to some weapon graphics soon. We'll just overlay and offset the guns rotations in-line with the player's graphics then draw the weapon over. It'll look very nice. Nice graphics by the way, Rob.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#25]
I've messed something up somewhere! Getting there though! Anyone care to take a look... it's late and I'm tired.

Players.bb

I've changed the way the control is handled to deal with any direction, however, now I get a runtime error when you try to open the door. And not got the collision stuff 100% yet, however, once I've got this bit working it'll work really well for alien ai and stuff. (Incedenally no idea what the aliens will be doing once you get through the door as I've not fixed aliens.bb yet.)

I've added a speed type to the player so we can have faster or slower players (for different player classes in the future). Made the x y coods floats to deal with the speeds correctly and angle direction correctly.

Updated the animation, removed the firing flash.

[code removed as I've fixed it below]

Um... Yeah, I think that's it for the time being, if anyone wants to take a look at this and try and sort out where I've gone wrong please do...

Time for bed said zeberdee...

Utils dirdif function updated to deal with 16 frames of rotation rather than 8

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#26]
Ok, I've almost got the listbox working as a dialogue, it gets a lot more complicated when allowing other things to continue along side it.

new include stringlist.bb:

gui.bb

place the following in editor.bb just before the FLIP command:

press L with debug on to see the ListBox functioning

There are some issues with it still, for instance the tooltip and the up and down arrows selecting the item does not scroll the box.

I also added colour options to the various controls, as demonstrated by pressing E whilst the editor is running.

*EDIT*
there is an issue with the OK and CANCEL buttons on the test inputbox in that when you press them, you end up overwriting the tile underneath. No amount of FlushMouse() commands or bashing the keyboard with a banana seems to affect it.

*EDIT*
oh yeah, nice graphics btw Rob :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#27]
OK, new players.bb got it working I think... It's sometimes a bit flaky... need to look into it, but the basics are working.

It still needs the updated dirdif in utils.bb up there ^^^

players.bb

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#28]
New aliens.bb

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#29]
New GFX as required for this stuff.

http://www.mentalillusion.co.uk/tmp/gfx.zip

I'll be updating aliens.bb again at some point to allow aliens to have different speeds too. And revamp the AI somewhat.

The collisions on the player.bb needs updating now as you don't slide along walls, I'll sort this too, just need a bit of time. This needs to be sorted so I can use the same code for the aliens.

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#30]
Perty you can get the new version from my site: www.3030deathwar.co.uk/downloads/ab/code.zip & www.3030deathwar.co.uk/downloads/ab/media.zip

I fixed your problem with the tile underneath being changed. I just added a 250ms delay after you get the input. That always works! I think we might need some more tiles. Can anyone do these? Things like transparent boxes at different angles, more walls, more floors, more everything to add some variation. We could also do with an alien-type theme tileset for when you get into the hive. Anyone feel upto adding to coffeebean's great tile graphics?

New in this version:
03-10-04 :
Rob
- New media! - new Alien and player images. Revamp of walking code.
- New alien.bb and player.bb. fixed player movement.
- Fixed wall sliding.
- New Media! - Female player image
Perturbatio
- Editor: Added dialogue box with new input. 
- Editor: Added stringlists
Snader
- Variation on the intex graphics (used, old saved as object(old).png)
Rims
- Editor: Rooms(v2) added again! See "editor-room.bb" for notes. Shortcut=R
- Editor: A new map will load a default.obj to use...
- Editor: Added new load room functions using perty's stringlists.
- Editor: Added a simple undo for tiles as well as entire room placement.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#31]
Player 3:

This is a female model I did ages ago... may as well make use of it!

Players.bb

Fixed sliding collision bug

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#32]
Ok, rob, I've added your stuff. The latest version can be found at the links above. Hopefully Perty'll put em on his site soon.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#33]
Just done a new face hugger... and it's discusting! Took ages to animate it but it was worth it!

Once I get the new alien.bb written where we can have different speeds of alien too, that hugger will skuttle around very quickly... scary!

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#34]
I'm noticing collision issues with objects, sometimes I have to walk over a key or other object several times before it will pick up, and if it's near a wall it becomes very awkward.
also, the key at the beginning of the test map seems to give five keys and doesn't disappear.

Another couple of things:
if the player walks along the top following a face hugger, they cannot shoot them with anything other than the flame-thrower because.

If the player walks to the far right of the map, they are prevented from going within about 6 squares of the edge.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#35]
Pert, yeah, I noticed that too, I'm looking into the sorting the collisions. Not sure why it's any different, but it is for some reason. The five keys thing, no idea about that?!

edit..

fixed it... it's a float thing! Just put this bit over the top of the collect object in players.bb

; collect objects

xx=Floor(pl\x/32)
	yy=Floor(pl\y/32)

If map(xx,yy,LayerObject)>0 
		If Instr(objectdef(map(xx,yy,LayerObject))\trigger,ScriptTrigger_OnOver) Then RunScript(pl,objectdef(map(xx,yy,LayerObject)),ScriptTrigger_OnOver,pl\x,pl\y)
	End If

There's still a bug in aliens.bb as the aliens are overlapping... I'm not too worried about that though as I'm going to be re-writing that soon.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#36]
made various modifications to gui.bb:

Fixed issue with using controls in fullscreen (mouse cursor disappearing).
Tooltips now appear over the correct item in the listbox no matter what the scrolloffset is.
All areas that are drawn on are redrawn correctly.

changed stringlist.bb:

modifications to editor.bb:

*EDIT*
also started on reorganizing the input code in editor.bb:
		;Right Mouse Button Layer Handler
		If MouseDown(2) Then
			Select ActiveLayer

Case LayerBase
					map(xpos,ypos,activelayer) = 1

Case LayerObject
					map(xpos,ypos,ActiveLayer) = 0

Case LayerBlock
					map(xpos,ypos,ActiveLayer) = 0

Case LayerCollision
					map(xpos,ypos,LayerCollision) = 0
					map(xpos,ypos,LayerHits) = 0

End Select
		EndIf

I put this between the IF MOUSEHIT(2) statement of the hitpoint layer and the IF KEYDOWN(28) statement.
it *should* be a replacement for all the If MouseDown(2) statements related to the activelayer/

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#37]
Attempting to upload new Zips now...
I think I might be logging on at the wrong time of day for this, I think my server is running through a backup at the moment.

*EDIT*
Zips updated.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#38]
changed load function in map.bb, added LoadObjectFile function:

in editor-include.bb - function CreateRandomMap() add:
LoadObjectFile("maps\default") to the end of the function

This will set default.obj to any new map including the one that is created on startup.

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#39]
Perty, I think that codebox above where you say " made various modifications to gui.bb: " is actually the editor.bb. Is that right or was it supposed to be gui.bb?

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#40]
I've been thinking about map detail. The current tileset has some detail like scorched tiles, bits of rubble and stuff but they've got a set floor tile to be with.

If we add another layer (at the end of the map array) we can add transparent tiles to any base layer and vary the look of the level considerably.

What do you all think? I think it's probably the best way to go.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#41]
Rims, my one issue would be performance... Maybe we should have that but make it optional, likewise we should probably make the over-layers optional too. The reason I say this is transparant layers kill performance on lower end machines.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#42]
Thinking a bit more about it, it would be better if it wasn't optional, as then furniture (lockers, desks, plants etc) wouldn't be floor dependant. Maybe we should make it optional on the over-layers but not on the base layer stuff.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#43]
Perty, I think that codebox above where you say " made various modifications to gui.bb: " is actually the editor.bb. Is that right or was it supposed to be gui.bb?

And this kids, is why you shouldn't post code at 4 in the morning...

updated.

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#44]
I didn't think about the speed issues (bad programmer, bad). So you're saying we should have the extra layer for plants, barrels and such but make the "top" layer optional to speed up slower machines?

I'll get on with some changes then if this is the case. Ok perty. By the way, what time are these posts timestamped with? Is it US? NZ? They certainly aren't UK.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#45]
That sounds about right, also the good thing with this means you'd be able to destroy furniture/barrels etc without destorying the underlying base data, also it means once something been destoryed it can be replaced with a broken version.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#46]

Ok perty. By the way, what time are these posts timestamped with? Is it US? NZ? They certainly aren't UK.

They're stamped with Forum time. I originally did GMT but figured that since this is a multi-national project (at least potentially), I would use a common time zone.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#47]
And this kids, is why you shouldn't post code at 4 in the morning...
This is why I stop posting at midnight! You look back at post midnight posts and they're just gibberish!

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#48]
sometimes your pre-midnight ones are just as bad, you bap sausage.

[edit: With regards to the new detail layer: I've jiggled the map array around so it's drawn in the right order. The detail layer is in and works pretty well. I've updated the tiles image but got bored half way though the words. I'm not even sure we need to do those.

Perty, could you pop this tiles.png image into the media.zip and obviously overwrite the old one.

New code.zip here with this being new:

05-10-04 :
Perturbatio
- Editor: Fixes and clearing up (gui.bb,stringlist.bb+editor.bb)
Rims
- Added new detail layer. Old maps will require slight reworking.
- Updated tiles.png with transparencies in appropriate places.
- Added "use_overlay_layer" global to optionally draw LayerTop

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#49]
have people thought a little more on the sourceforge idea? If we were to use SF then any team member can upload files without having to wait for someone else (i.e. me) to do it (and without having to wait for my flaky ftp server to warm up).

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#50]
I'm all for it. Did Mark set one up? Weren't we waiting on Rob's word or something? Could I ASK anymore questions? I'm all for the idea. Where is Mark, these days? What do you think Rob? It'll be a lot easier for us all. We could still use this forum 'n'all.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#51]
I've just checked it out and it costs $39 from what I can see, am I looking at the right place?

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#52]
- Editor: Added new load room functions using perty's stringlists.

Rims, did you remove this? or am I just blind.
I was interested to see how you had implemented it.

*EDIT*

I'm sure the $39 is for the premium service, the basic one is free.

*EDIT* take a look here:
http://sourceforge.net/docman/display_doc.php?docid=14027&group_id=1#cost

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2004) [#53]
Hi, been rather busy - away from home most of last week, and the week before that I had a very hectic week at work. Also my 1 year old daughter's been a bit poorly the past few days resulting in *very* sleepless nights. Like about a total of an hour last night. It's nothing serious though, and she seems better today (famous last words...)

As for SourceForge, I thought it was free for the basic service, which seemed adequate for what we need. We need all individuals who have contirbuted code (and who therefore own copyright on their code) to give their okay for us to use the GNU General Public License (discussed in the last post). I believe the only one not to do so explicitly is Rob...

Also, not sure who wants to submit it - I'm happy to, but it's kind of Rob's brainchild, so he may wish to do so...

*yawn* I think I'm gonna get some kip. At 7:30pm Tsk!

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#54]
OK, I've registered and submitted a request to sourceforge with all the details of the project... just got to wait now for it to be approved.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#55]
We need all individuals who have contirbuted code (and who therefore own copyright on their code) to give their okay for us to use the GNU General Public License (discussed in the last post). I believe the only one not to do so explicitly is Rob...
Sorry, I didn't realise I needed to give the nod... Of course!

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#56]
We will of course have to distribute the GNU GPL with the source from now on.

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#57]
Perty, if you have a look at the room controls on the right the Load button opens the a stringlist with all the available rooms to load. Saving a new one will refresh the list. I was thinking about implementing a double click but got it wrong, so left it.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#58]
I just downloaded everything and I get index array out of bounds on start up... something's broken!

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#59]
Also, a few gfx can be removed now I think...

hugger.png
intex-background.png
alien16.png

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#60]
Rob, it could be due to the new Layer.

[edit
This is the most up to date version. It's my working version.

www.3030deathwar.co.uk/downloads/ab/code.zip
www.3030deathwar.co.uk/downloads/ab/media.zip

This version will *definitely* work. it's up.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#61]
The editor needs a manual of sorts... I've not fired it up for ages and I have no idea how to use it! How do you get the vis collisions in? What is the green collision box? What's the hitpoint layer?

I love the room drawing thing, very cool.

In engine.bb the object layer needs to be drawn before the players and aliens. I think the order should be:
	drawmap(ScreenX,ScreenY,1)
	drawparticles(0)
	drawmap(ScreenX,ScreenY,2)
	drawmap(ScreenX,ScreenY,3)
	drawbullets()
	Alien_DrawAll()
	Player_DrawAll()
	drawAnimations()
	drawparticles(1)
	drawmap(ScreenX,ScreenY,4)
	drawHUD()

Also set the turn delay to: turndelay = (turndelay + 1) Mod 3 as there's twice as many turns now it looks a little sluggish.

Also when you shoot out doors sometimes the door doesn't open and it just removes a single door block, the vis doesn't fire and it just looks weird!

And your new test.map doesn't have enough keys to get round without blasting out a few doors. (I was going to fix this but I couldn't work out how to use the editor!)

If you change the hugger2 to hugger3 prepared to be grossed out!

The new detail layer works really well, I like it a lot, it certainly gives the level more life, you were spot on with that suggestion.

For bandwidth issues it could be worth splitting the sound out of the media too, and put dates on when each of the files were updated, this way if only the code is updated or only the graphics then people won't be downloading all the sound and graphics and everything each time. Also helps with our 56k friends.

Additional ToDo:
Assign different players to their graphics, I think certain guns should only be able to be carried by certain players. Ie Player3.png should move a little faster than player2.png but not be able to carry the really heavy weapons for example. Anyway, that's a 'discuss' issue.

Oh, one more thing, the overview map I think is way too detailed, I think all it needs to show are collision blocks and doors and bugger all else, it could be a pixel line drawing, after all, it's a plan not a photograph. Again... discuss!

Anyway, that's about it for now... Time for bed said Zeberdee!

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#62]
I think that the overview map should only show a certain distance around you, it should in fact be a solid object detector (i.e. radar).

Also, I think we should implement a motion detector, just cos' it'd be cool.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#63]
The motion detector is cool, however, not sure how useful it would be as you can already see aliens coming around the corner. And if you knew there were aliens behind doors it would take a bit of the suspense away.

I think the map should just be a line drawing of the bits you've been to, don't include the non vizzed stuff.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#64]
Another thought...

The room creator I think could be 25 blocks, this way you can have 2 layers of stuff around the edges this will mean you can add the shadow blocks in too.

It's bloody good as it stands though.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#65]
Really really simple map thing... Totally unoptimised in that is used plot! (gasp!) but this is the sort of thing I think the map should be.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#66]
I'll be away from sort of thursday evening until sunday so someone else will need to host updates for a while (or someone could sign up for Sourceforge).

po(Posted 2004) [#67]
I wold host it, but I don't know how to put the code together and stuff.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#68]
>> or someone could sign up for Sourceforge

I have done... you have to wait a couple of days to be approved.

I'll host it again pert, it's a new month so I've got fresh bandwidth limits again. Can you continue to host music.zip and media.zip as that's not updating much? It'll just take the strain of my limited bandwidth.

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#69]
Does this show too much? I made it twice as big and show doors and the players.

Function ShowMap(i)
	Cls
	Color 255,255,255
	For x=0 To 255
	For y=0 To 255
	If map(x,y,LayerCollision)>0
		If map(x,y,LayerCollision)=czVisDynamic 
			; dynamic
			Color 0,100,0
		Else
			; static
			Color 0,0,0 
		EndIf		
	Else 
		Color 100,100,100
	EndIf
	If map(x,y,layer_visible)=0 Then Color 100,0,0
	Rect x*2,y*2,2,2
	Next
	Next

For p.player=Each player
		If p = First player Then Color 255,0,0 Else Color 0,0,255
		Rect Floor(p\x/32)*2,Floor(p\y/32)*2,2,2
	Next	

Flip

Repeat:Until KeyHit(1)

FlushKeys	
End Function

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#70]
That looks cool to me rims, It'll probably be better to do it with a imagebuffer and writepixelfasts too for performance (theres a couple of writergb function in intexnew.bb). Of course with the bigger map you're going to have to sort out some kind of y offset as you're printing 512 pixels tall on a 480 screen.

I was going to make mine double size, include doors and players too. I also thought it would be nice to make the players glow.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#71]

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#72]
To fix the VIS not working on blown up doors, replace the players.bb->damageTile function with this one:

Also, why is the map getting drawn twice? I've removed the for i=1 to 2 at the top of the drawMap functions.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#73]
It's drawn twice, once for each buffer, seeing as you're flipping for the glowing players you need to same image on each buffer or it goes flicka-flicka-flicka-flika...

[edit] You're not talking about my bit of code? Don't know about that other bit you're talking about.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#74]
The vis seems to work correctly on yellow doors but no other colours. Also when you blow up non yellow doors you only blow out one block of the door. I'm guessing it's because the yellow doors are the original and were coding, the new doors were missed!

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#75]
It's drawn twice, once for each buffer, seeing as you're flipping for the glowing players you need to same image on each buffer or it goes flicka-flicka-flicka-flika...

DOH! I hardly ever run fullscreen and in windowed you don't get that flicker.

With regards to the vis, the above function replacement for damageTile should work. It adds a "checkVis(x,y)" call after you've blown the door so even if the door has a single tile missing the new vis gets updated. As for the other parts of the door getting blown up, it's because the default action for killing a door *without* a script attached is just to kill that tile and not any surrounding tiles. I'm not sure where the piece of code that accomplished this before has gone.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#76]
New code.zip

06-10-04 :
Rob
- Updated Player.bb with a new map (looks like the intex system now)
- Updated player.bb to deal with different characters with differect graphic sets and speeds
- Updated Engine.bb to get draw order correct.
Rims
- Updated Player.bb (damagetile function) to fix vis problem

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#77]
Sorted the destorying doors problem, they needed an ondestroy script too.

test.obj

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#78]
Explode function added to weapons.bb

Test it out by hitting E and an explosion will appear where the player is.

The explosion creates bullets so this could cause chain reactions when you blow up barrels and stuff.

Added an extra field to the bullet to know if it's a scenary bullet, this will also be used for autocannons kills do not get added to player counts.

New code.zip download here...

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#79]
Well Done everyone. This is looking very nice indeed.

It's a shame you're not using quads in Blitz3D because then you'd be able to rotate for all the 8 directions and you'd cut down on your graphics by about 90% for each unit.

But then of course some low end machines may struggle.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#80]
Updated code zip again: New code.zip
Added a barrel object: New objects.png

Added barrel explode script and barrel object. Examples of the exploding barrels are if you come out from the red door and go up to the green door there are a bunch of barrels there, they explode and clear their collisions.

Am I the only person working on this now?

Enay, personally I'd like to see this use a full 3D engine then just have animated models for the graphics, then you wouldn't even need to worry about the rotations and you'd have proper dynamic lights etc etc, Still keep it top down though.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#81]
Well with a 2D quad engine you'd be able to zoom in and out which would make for some quite useful effects (zooming in and out when the players get close to each other like in Loaded/Reloaded) on the PSX and as I said before you'd easily with one line of code be able to make the screen rotate and keep the player facing the same direction.

Are you thinking full models like Metal Gear Solid style from top view?

Rimmsy(Posted 2004) [#82]
I'd like to see this go to 3d as well. We could really benefit from a few sprites here and there. It'd be a major overhaul though and we're probably better off just getting this version done upto a standard before messing with the engine.
Am I the only person working on this now?

Yes.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#83]
Are you thinking full models like Metal Gear Solid style from top view?
Probably... but never played MGS. But basically a full 3D game, just have it play in 2D from above.
Yes.
Bugger!

RiK(Posted 2004) [#84]
I think Enay means to use a 2d Sprites in 3d mode approach such as Jims Spritemaster or something.

Keep up the good work guys this is looking awesome.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#85]
I've just created a new alien model, it animates better and looks better, also updated alien.bb to improve the animation, I'll upload it when people join in again as it's only a cosmetic improvement.

I was thinking we need to balance the weapons somewhat, also I was thinking it could be quite cool to have some fireproof bad guys for example who can't be killed with the flame thrower. Also other bad guys who are retardant to different attacks.

Anyway just a thought.

RiK(Posted 2004) [#86]
I'll upload it when people join in

I've not contributed anything to the project but I have been following your progress from day 1. It's been really interesting to see this progress, keep it up guys!

Mark Tiffany(Posted 2004) [#87]
Just to say that I am still around, but seem to be rather busy at the moment. I'm still checking in regularly, and hope to start contributing again soon!

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#88]
I've done new player 1 and player 2 graphics too now. Looking at reworking the alien.bb code so it's... well... better!

New Thread