Leadfoot GT Teaser

Community Forums/Showcase/Leadfoot GT Teaser

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#1]
Here's a little self-playing demo just so you can see it in motion ;)

Teaser

Edit: Some New Screens Showing the A.I. cruising -

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#2]
wow.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#3]
Looks sweet! You've got a nice feeling driving engine there. The car controls looked like they "felt good" ... if you know what I'm saying. Control is everything in these games and you look to have nailed it.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#4]
Nice. Will it be possible to do ridge racer style turns? I.e where you handbreak and the car shifts all it's weight to one side and gracefully glides around the corner. (Unless you're me, in which case it gracefully smashes into the concrete barrier.)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#5]
Dirk:

Hehe ;)

Warren:

Yeah I'm aiming really to have that just fun to control thing and so far it has that thing you're talking about going for it. Still needs some work in a few areas but it's probably capable of producing a decent game already. I'm trying to really dig into it though so that the game is viewed as good as possible next to some of these crazy racing games that are out currently.

Spaced:

Yeah, if you up the horsepower the car drifts a lot more. In the demo the drifting is minimal. If you lower the horsepower too much then the car won't drift but I'll probably get more into the drifting as there are a few types. This vehicle is essentially AWD as drifting is induced by throttle. A front wheel drive you want to hit the break and turn hard to get the rear traveling around the front and then stomp back on the gas. Rear wheel drive is also throttle induced but tends to spin out. I guess a good setup rear drive car though is a lot like AWD.

Basically, I did set it up to just be initially fun and to do a simple arcade racer. Since people have been interested and doing the programming on this sort of thing has really grabbed me by the throat I'm going to dig deeper into it. In the end it'll still be arcade style driving but it'll also have that realistic edge that allows it to be intuitive also.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#6]
Good controls and movement.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#7]
I'm trying to really dig into it though so that the game is viewed as good as possible next to some of these crazy racing games that are out currently.

Are there a lot of indie racing games? I don't remember seeing many...

You might have that market mostly to yourself which is a great thing. You won't be competing with titles like BurnOut3 but I think you can definitely carve out a niche with a solid racing game sporting nice controls.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#8]
Hehe, yeah Burnout 3 is so awesome. It's hopeless to say I'm going to compete with that. However, I've got to dig as far as I feel possible since people will be seeing stuff like that and they'll be jaded. There's also that Live for Speed title which is apparently supposed to be really awesome. Actually I just downloaded the demo last night so I'll have a look.

Initially I was thinking I'd make something like GT Advance mixed with Mario Kart. Realistic cars with some fun sliding and arcade controls. Actually, that's still my aim but I have to go the extra mile with something that can crash reasonably well which neither of those titles have.

Ah, right now it's all about getting a decent driving engine down. Once that's done then I could make numerous games by adjusting the parameters of a vehicle.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#9]
Nice man!

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#10]
You know, from what I saw you have a great thing going. This is something I would buy, it could be a great addition into a game ive been designing. Its not in B3D, but if its a good tool, I will definetly move to B3D.

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#11]
very nice!!!!!
i like the donuts!!!
:D
...if i wasnt broke, id sooooooooooooooooo buy this engine!!!

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#12]
That is great!
I'd pay $50 for this engine :)

big10p(Posted 2004) [#13]
Very nice. I could almost hear the tyres screeching. :)

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#14]
Updated the track, and Jeremy added a hood/bonnet cam. Much more like my kind of game now, and much easier to drive with a more familiar camera, and it doesn't look half bad either. Just got to add detail and pretty it up a bit.

Reminds me a lot of the roads around the coast of cornwall where i used to go surfing, watergate bay etc.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#15]
Hehe sweet shots ;)

Murilo(Posted 2004) [#16]
Woah! That looks sweet... I'll try it as soon as I get home tonight.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#17]
Is that a lefthand drive Mini? Sacrilege! :P

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#18]
If you're looking for a cartoony fun racer (mario cart style) then it looks great.

Some thoughts:
The gravity is way too light, the car gracefully glides through the sky and drives up near vertical faces with ease.
The back never seemed to slip out (as you mentioned above) and the car appeared to be rotated around it's centre rather than the back axil.
The car has perfect balance as the nose never dropped when it flew through the air

If you want to write a fun race game take a look at big red racing, it was really good fun.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#19]
Looks very nice.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#20]

The gravity is way too light, the car gracefully glides through the sky and drives up near vertical faces with ease.
The back never seemed to slip out (as you mentioned above) and the car appeared to be rotated around it's centre rather than the back axil.
The car has perfect balance as the nose never dropped when it flew through the air

Yeah, all arcade style. The car could easily have the rear slip out ... in this the car is handling like an AWD vehicle which creates more a center drift. Anything you mentioned could be simulated easily of course by changing a few parameters. Then again why ruin the fun ;P

Neuro(Posted 2004) [#21]
Just curious, how did you make the race tracks?

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#22]
3DS Max, I think it's a spline path. Ask Evak for more details.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#23]
yeah, I extruded spline cross sections along a path, pretty cool as you can adjust the splines and see the changes in realtime. I modeled the terrain with splines too.

Neuro(Posted 2004) [#24]
So first you created the cross section, then extrude it using a spline?

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#25]
in max you create a closed spline that represents your track using the line tool and edit spline, you then create the cross section using another spline, and use the create/compound object/loft tool and extrude your cross section along the path to create the track, you can then make other cross sections you extrude to make the red/white edging etc and use the surface mapping tools in the loft object to do the mapping automatially, so the UV's follow the path.

you might also want to use the freeware optimize spine to optimize your spline path so you don't have too many polys.

and you can sdyuse the iterations of the spline of the initial spline shapes and after you have lofted, the iterations along the path and your cross section shape.

It's quite tricky to explain in text without illustrations. after that, I cloned the track. converted the copt to a editable poly object, selected an edge of the track, selected edge loop and converted the edges to splines. then using the edit spline modifier, outlined the the new splines I just created and then manually optimized them, and made a spline cage with several iterations to buld the terrain. using the surface modifier I then converted the cage into patches. so long as you have 3 or 4 sided shapes, the surface between gets filled and you have a nice spline surface. you can select the spline vertices at any time and manipulate their handles, convert them to bezier curves etc, or use an dedit patch and work on your spline surface much like you would with polygons.

If your familiar with 3dsmax, you will probably know what I'm talking about. Been using splines for ages since hash animation master 4, to make organic characters for TV before ,max was good for organic modeling. this uses similar patch modeling techniques to Hash Animation master.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#26]
New Shot ... watching the A.I. buzz by ;) Can even make the A.I. race it self ... that's how we're going to make it great. I'm amazed at how dynamic I set this up ... the code is actually in need of a major cleanup ... but the dynamic foundation was there. Added an A.I. driver with the same code as a regular one ... just a few flags and voila all the input is handled via the A.I. instead of a controller. The physics are then handled separate from that.

Anyway ... (beautiful track by the way Ad ;)

Now Same Shot as above .... ^

Dirk Krause(Posted 2004) [#27]
w.o.w.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#28]
Are you going to be selling the engine code? I don't remember if you answered this already ;)

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#29]
Yes, we'll be selling it once it's complete and after we've made a game with it.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#30]
Check out the new shots above ;)