WHBL - mapwork

Community Forums/Showcase/WHBL - mapwork

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#1]
I started refining some textures for my main game map and placing objects in and around the place. First pass is not too bad, but I've had to bin the idea of shadow maps due to the resultant crap realtime lighting. I really need need a decent torch for my game and lightmaps suck monkey poo through a hairy straw. I was thinking of using just decals for spot shadow effects here and there but they look terrible as the fog begins to bite in the distance...I also notice that 'autofadeentity' doesn't seem to work with them. Anybody any ideas? Am I missing something in Blitz that will allow easy 'side-effect' free shadow in the form of masked poly's - or will fog always screw them up?

Anyhow here's a shot of a culdesac in my wrecked northern town I took in my object-placement util.

* Been working on my interiors - I'm going for a kind of modular click together system of rooms and stairways which means geometry isn't going to be too spectacular so I'm having to rely on interesting atmospheric textures to compensate...Below we have a cellar stairs shot and and empty bathroom. No broken furniture and appliances yet...it's coming.

If anyone's interested here is a ropey avi file walking through this generic terrace house. It's a bit jerky, my computer just doesn't function so well while writing out these video grabs...

Out of space - Avi is gone :(

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#2]
Excellent textures.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#3]
Very neat....

N(Posted 2004) [#4]
Looks good. One thing you may want to do is set the flare from the light to be rendered after other objects (and hide it through some means- tracing a ray to the play's point to see if it will be visible, for instance, and if it is visible, then check to see if it's in the view frustum) so that it doesn't have the clipping on it.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#5]
Looks great.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#6]
If you can make textures like that, you might consider working with someone who is further along on their engine. JFK has a complete FPS game engine done, and is looking for artists to work with.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#7]
I can't wait to see another screenshot....

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#8]
Thanks for the comments.
Halo - I would consider working on another game but I have 3 ex-3drad games that I really must finish before my death! Afterwards who knows?
Noel - thanks for the tip. I am going tidy up the coronas and stuff at some point but for now I'm just happy to see things in their proper places! Maybe my next screenshot will have a few more loose ends sorted - I'll remember what you said and implement nice tidy flares. Right now I have the daunting task of refining my first map to a completely finished standard - so many textures... big BIG job!

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#9]
* Been working on my interiors - I'm going for a kind of modular click together system of rooms and stairways which means geometry isn't going to be too spectacular so I'm having to rely on interesting atmospheric textures to compensate...At the top of the page here we have a cellar stairs shot and and empty bathroom. No broken furniture and appliances yet...it's coming.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#10]
Really nice texture work there :o)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#11]
Indeed, very nice work. All the dirt etc - it has got live.

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#12]
Yup - thanks Guys. Pity I can't have shadow maps to make it look even more 'earthed'. I'm using tessellated rooms to get a nice convincing realtime torch effect - it looks nicer when moving rather than a still shot.

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#13]
Has a sort of Silent Hill look to it. Excellent texture work as the others have already said :)

SopiSoft(Posted 2004) [#14]
wow...it looks freakin' great! :-)

Shambler(Posted 2004) [#15]
Looks just like my type of game.

Nothing wrong with using high tesselation meshes to make spotlighting work either...'The Suffering' also does this.

Incidentally if you are looking for a game also with great atmosphere, 'The suffering' is set in a prison and has a style all of it's own.

I'm looking forward to playing a demo of your game Hujiklo =)

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#16]
I've not heard of 'The suffering' shambler - I'll take a look, infact I haven't played Silent Hill or Doom3...last sort of horror/scare game I played was Clive Barker's 'The Undying' which for an fps was blinkin' good, so I recommend that to anybody who has never played it.
I'm always lamenting my lighting arrangements because they are not what I want - Lightmaps add so much atmosphere and I cannot use them with proper realtime lights - GaAAH! I even went and bought Giles too during my Blitz experimentation stage

Idaho Razor(Posted 2004) [#17]
WoW very cool! I'm looking forward to playing a demo of your game too!

Good luck on your 3 ex- 3drad games as well.. keep up the great work!

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#18]
If anyone's interested here is a ropey avi. file walking through this generic terrace house. It's a bit jerky, my computer just doesn't function so well while writing out these video grabs...

Genexi2(Posted 2004) [#19]
All you need now are monsters that come out of nowhere to up the fear-factor.

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2004) [#20]
What method are you using to create the "tessellated" meshes to aid the dynamic lighting?

And same for the excellent texture work - is that all done in photoshop or do you use numerous textures and apply them in Blitz code? (ie. the stains on the floor)

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#21]
Rikman - I'm an artist not a coder! Textures are all done in Max and Photoshop. I'm not coding anymore than I have to! It's already giving me a headache how to optimize the engine. Tessellation is done in Max - the terrace house interior alone is about 10,000 polys and this is without any sort of furniture yet..
Monsters will make you poo your pants Genexi2...but they'll be nearly the last things I put it unfortunately...

.rIKmAN.(Posted 2004) [#22]
Is that with a tessellation modifier or some other means (talking max specifics here).

Sorry to go OT, those shots are damn tasty!

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#23]
I'm doing it all by hand Rikman - basically starting with one box made of about 64 quads - then use this as a reference to build all the separate sections - doorways, stairs, rooms etc..then make sure that all vertices at entry and exit points between sections line up perfectly with each other so I can swap and change and then have it all snap into place quickly. It's very slow work to begin with but will pay huge dividends when the actual map work begins...also need to set the snap system in max to fit metres for very quick manipulation.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#24]
hey... who are you... i thought i knew all the refugees from the 3DRAD board that hang out here... :)

wait a second... gnarly soft... that golfing avi that looked like it was too good to have been developed in RAd... was that yours...

anyway... the screens are wicked, as is the video...

i was expecting something to jump out from behind one of those dark corners... will be nice when you have the monsters running loose...

thanks for the preview...

--Mike

Hujiklo(Posted 2004) [#25]
Yes - it's me Mike. Formerly known as Allsmiles. Though by the time I'd admitted defeat in Rad I had nothing to smile about and was boiling over with frustration at getting boxed in at every turn with some of the most basic stuff - I came to the conclusion that you can do a very old, basic sort of game in Rad, or waste your life, blood, sweat and tears trying to do something that could hold its own in the big bad world...but with the world of games advancing so rapidly it's simply a losing battle in my now well-informed opinion. :(
Anyhow Blitz is the dog's dangleys - it may be getting old however; though I think it's in its prime and packed to the gills with potential and opportunty.
Golf game and Kids game will be finished off in Blitz - nothing goes to waste!

Jeroen(Posted 2004) [#26]
excellent

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#27]
hahahaha.... i understand what you are saying... and it's good to see ya again 'Smiles...

again, your stuff looks really neat...

--Mike

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#28]
very very very very very good texture work.......