CSP Engine 5 Silver Edition

Community Forums/Showcase/CSP Engine 5 Silver Edition

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#1]
Silver isn't Gold, but it's also pretty shiny.

CSP proudly presents Version 5 of our FPS Engine. A lot of stuff was added and byside some misc. details that still have to be tweaked, the engine is now useable for complete singleplayer games.

Visit http://www.melog.ch/dropper/ to read about the new features, or download the demo (12.5MB) right away: http://www.melog.ch/dropper/v50/csp_engine_5.zip

N(Posted 2004) [#2]
My you're a persistent bugger.

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#3]
Cool! DLing now...

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2004) [#4]
Noel, don't be rude!
"Broccolli Never Dies"? Surely you can do better than that.

My dumb comments aside, this looks terrific as usual. I hope you're going to release the source code for the engine at some point? Or is the engine going to require the purchase of a damn license? :(

N(Posted 2004) [#5]
Noel, don't be rude!

I wasn't being rude, I was making a joke -_- Don't jump to conclusions when you don't know what you're talking about.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#6]
I wasn't being rude, I was making a joke -_- Don't jump to conclusions when you don't know what you're talking about.
If that wasn't facetious, I don't know what is.

I really like this project, but I think the time has come for you to get an art team. Your media sucks.

You have the basis of a good FPS game. It's time to get your art team together and produce the real thing.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#7]
Is that a picture of Bush with a Hitler mustache?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#8]
looks like it lol.

I hope this engine is gona be free. prob not but I guess I can but hope :/

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#9]
Have there been any problems with running the exe?

BTW. Thanks. Of course, the title, content, story etc. are only placeholders. This release is thought to show its capability to load several levels, as well as the other new features. Those little sketches about bush may be funny (some may like or hate it), but are not relevant for the demo.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#10]
jfk awesome job

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#11]
What is your plan? At what point are you going to stop using placeholders and make the real thing?

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#12]
Halo, I beleive it is being released as an engine.. The media is there of course little concern

N(Posted 2004) [#13]
halo: I'd guess that judging by his recent inquiries he wants to license the engine for some amount of money.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#14]
If I understand you right, you are saying that this is just a commercial game development engine, with no plans for a game?

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#15]
runs at 60 fps on my machine, but from time to time dips to about 50 .. Im wondering how bad it is on a slower computer.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#16]
you have the choice to use a Flip True or a Vwait:Flip 0. Usually the Vwait method gives you the proper buffer flip (hardware synced), but I was told this didn't work on some machines, so you can choose to use Flip 1, that is using 50Hz AFAIK. Just set it in the options.

Well, my plans contain both, a cheap license model for other teams, if they want to use it at all, and at the other hand I will use it for my own game. Let's see if I can find some help for the level design. Yes, I am looking for designers and artists.

I am currently finishing the toolset and their GUIs, basicly it's all ready but the GUIs. Plus a good documentation.

Licenses will probably cost around 50$, didn't fix this yet.

I worked 2 years on this.

>>"Your media sucks."<<

Well, that WAS rude.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#17]
For two year's work, that's generous :)
This looks quite nice, I hope you keep making use demos to play with even though you're done.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#18]
Very neat, I would suggest removing President Bush Image, might end up costing you a few less licenses.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#19]
Or he could just exclude that screenshot when he releases it....saves him the trouble of removing that picture...:)

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#20]
Truly.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#21]
Your media does suck. Hard. It looks terrible. What do you want me to say, that it looks really great? I made half your textures. When you come to me looking for textures, that's when you know you need help!

I don't think you claimed to be an artist, so I don't think this is too harsh. Free media blows.

I suggest focusing on the game, because you won't make any serious money selling something to the Blitz community.

I know that trying to make an engine "user-friendly" can really impede development. I am cautiosly using some script stuff in my engine, but am developing it for what I need, not for what I am guessing other people might want.

I like that you have made a complete engine. It feels a lot like Half-Life, and it could be a great game if you had a better presentation beyond "we have giant ants because some guy made an ant model, and that's all I can get."

I would post the demo on polycount, along with a detailed description of what the game is about and what the total media requirements are. Make sure they know you are serious about publishing. You can probably find an artist there who wants to get some experience producing a professional game.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#22]
Of course I claim to be an artist. I didn't come to you looking for textures. You released them for free, here.

From 254 textures only 7 are taken from your free collection. Not "half" of them. No problem, I'll drop them next time.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#23]

Very neat, I would suggest removing President Bush

me too :). Permanently.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#24]
I can tell the areas where you put a lot of effort into the textures, and those look great, but some of the areas are really random looking, and I recognize those textures from all over the net.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#25]
Oh, a little glitch I found:
The HUD is visible in the cubemap reflections. Shouldn't be too hard to fix :)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#26]
I don't see any random looking textures....

Tom(Posted 2004) [#27]
Good fun jfk :)

If I may suggest...

Add some inertia to the player movement, it doesn't feel right just stopping dead when you let go of a movement key.

I think you should make picking items up a little easier, it feels like you have to aim perfectly for it to work.

Keep the player crouched when in vents/air ducts.

Halo is rude

The gun movement is too strong, and if I'm not mistaken is circular.

Do the doors always open towards the player, it felt that way.

Very much a level design thing but, it felt very 'static'. Some fans, steam pipes, flickering lights, animated cursor of the PC screens? Anything just to liven it up a bit.

Also, is the player a vampire? Because when I looked down at a reflective floor, I don't see myself :)

Keep up the good work!!!

Tom

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#28]
Hmmm... I've never thought the media sucked in any of jfk's demos. I mean they aren't 'AAA' but they are well above the norm for a free demo released here. If you do bring it to the level of a complete game for sale though you would need better media to compete with other titles in the genre. All in do time though.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#29]
Thank you and thanks for the suggestions.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#30]
Well, to be fair, Halo's definition of "sucks" is "is not WW2".

Pinete(Posted 2004) [#31]
Hi!,
The app give me an error message of
"memory access violation", just after
the first video..
I have a P4 3.0Ghz, ATI 9800, 1Gb RAM and
the latest Videocard drivers and Service pack..
Do you know the reason of the problem??

Thanks in advance!

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#32]
congrats jfk... nice job...

it must feel good to finally see the fruition of 2 years hard work...

will download this later on (still on dialup here) it looks very interesting.

halo's critique should be taken as that... a critique... and, he has made a valid critique in my opinion.

i think that he is trying to help you out here (in his own way :) )...

besides... it's better that we (the forum) and you (yourself) be a lil on the hard side when assessing our work, and therefore shoot for the 110% of perfection on a project before it's released to the general audience... especially if there is money being exchanged...

shoot for 110% and get 98% or thereabouts...

... and, while the content is without a doubt secondary to the engine itself, and realizing that this release represents a point in ongoing development effort... a tech demo still is like a showcase for the engine...

it is usually the first thing in the eyes of the public... and that's where they wil derive their first impressions... valid or not.

it is with that in mind that i give josh's critique its validity...

although i definitely wouldn't go along with the term 'sucks', some of the texturing does fall short of the mark (with the excption of the nice looking marble floor), and does look sort of random (that green stuff on the overheads for example).

but again... this can be easily fixed... and does not take away from the functionality of engine.

and definitely take down the Bush references... you're making a game engine, not a political statement, and no matter what your personal outlook is, this can only wind up being a distraction.

hey, will take a more in depth look later... if it's anything like the demos you've shown, this should be tops.

--Mike

Rook Zimbabwe(Posted 2004) [#33]
I was looking at the destructible objects and I have a question... Not a feature request... just an innocent question...

You have the barrell full of nitro (for whatever reason your enimies would have such a thing stored randomly in the hallways and rooms... never could figure that one out...) you can shoot the nitro and it goes BOOM!!! Is this going to affect the bad guys? Would it kill one of them if they were too close? Is this also going to be able to PUSH the barrell and blow something up if you haven't got a bomb?

Demo looks VERY NICE!!! Let me know when you have a licensing plan.

-Z

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#34]
Textures aside. Will you be trying to sell this engine ? or is it going to be free to use. ??

A question I have yet to see answered.

On the demo, it ra at 50-60 frames per second, thats on my machine which isnt that bad a setup so id like to know just how it runs on a slower computer.

I have ( AMD XP21 , 512meg DDR400 ram, GF5200 256 meg gfxram.)

Also the mouse feels a little bit slugish.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#35]
Well, I like it. Weird...as I'm an artist (did objects and some level stuff at jobs, but mainly all what is characters)

I mean, I didn't pay attention to the art. I only wanted it not to disturb me more than needed,I was expecting that kind of art on an engine, and that did accomplish more or less, with a pair of exceptions.

What I was liking a lot, is he got it done, and is quite usable, imho. Nice details like those reflections and other stuff.

So, congrats...!

BTW, we artists, or the good ones <hehe> are too expensive (I have been "cheap" but in projects I did not really worked at, and anyway, only of my liking, done in some tiny hobby time) to pay per hour, or pay in anyway, best chance is grab the attention of an artist for his hobby time, as usual fixed quantities or posibility of royalties, wont convince someone with experience. Certain friends that worked with me, I know how loudly they'd laugh mentioning em certain payments... I am a bit weird, I like indy activities.

But free collaborators, even if they're good, will just use some minutes. IMO, with these facts , he already got it quite well.

I've seen kickass levels done in companies, and my characters there shined thanks to my mate work on the levels...

But heh, you can't have everything...anyway, this engine is not heading users that are gonna make aaa games...
probably ppl wanting to do shareware or just small games, or those modders wishing strongly -been at a pair of mods; some really wish to do so, but are frightened of c++ adn all- to do stuff with an engine they own, and games they can 'try' to sell.

Look at GTA vice city textures, pc version..they didn't improved seriously from the limited texture specs of the ps1...(been doing some art for ps1, is a hell)
And yet what shines in gta vice city is playability, and clever use of what they had...

Go for it, JFK, imo you're on the good route.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#36]
Pinete - I have no idea. Maybe your unzipper messed up the files? (cfg files etc.) The first video is the one with the chrome pharao head (game intro movie). The second one is the
green one with the mission briefing (level intro movie). The second video is a mpeg, encoded with the TMPG encoder beta1.2 (patched japanese version). AFAIK it should play ok on any puter since Win98. Strange, since the first Movie is an Mpeg too, but it was encoded with bbpeg.

Red - of course Halo has a point, but saying I am no artist is more scaring than anything. It's one of those BTW-phrases I ask my self if the scaring part was intention. as for Bush I have to say Yes, it IS a political statement. Probably it's also a game engine, but these days there is a need for political statements IMHO. If anybody really wants to use the engine, he surely can ignore this demo graphics. At the other hand I doubt that I will make a lot of money with it, no matter how much bush is inside. So it won't hurt if somebody decides not to buy a license because of this statement.
If Charly Chaplin thought he should remove political statements from "the great dictator", what would it be today.

ROOK - yes, the destructable objects can kill chars if they are close enough. You can try this in the room where the two mutant ants are, the pool hall. Go to the door in the right hand corner and wait until the ant passes the nitro box, then shot the box.
The destructable objects also support chain reactions, when you place a row of such objects with the editor and then shoot the first, the all go boom. That is a recursive function. I agree, it's really silly, all the nitro glycerin Boxes all over the place. However, that was only to demonstrate it. BTW the c4 timebombs can kill too, but it's hard to time them right. BTW c4 and nitro can kill yourself too, when you are standing too close to the explosion.
I didn't understand the second question, PUSH the barrel and blow something up without a bomb? are you referring to the c4 timebomb?

Yavin - I know, it's not very fast. No VIS, no BSP Trees etc. The performence of this engine cannot compare with things like the old scool FPS engines that were capable to run smoothly on a 80486 with 100MHz etc. It is thought for todays 3D Cards, also the cheap ones, Radeon 9200, Geforce 5200 and better. I'd say everything less than a Geforce 2 may be too slow.

It will definitively not be for free. Everyone is trying to sell something these days, I surely won't give it away for free. Call it selfish if you want. i released a lot of Tools and Code snippets for free, but this will will cost a little.

As I said before, I plan to sell per-game licenses. I am not sure about the price yet, but I think it will be around 50$

Maybe there are better engines even for free. Feel free to choose them, fine, no problem.
It's just the way that this engine can be used without to edit one line of code. However. BTW. the mouse may feel sluggish due to the mouse-smoothing. In the options you can deactivate this.

Bob - thanks a lot, good to see an artist likes it. :)

N(Posted 2004) [#37]
Everyone is trying to sell something these days

Even me ;)

Call it selfish if you want.

Anyone who calls you selfish for your wanting something in return for your hard work is a freeloader who has no idea of the work it takes to produce something of this size.

Maybe there are better engines even for free.

Yeah. Nebula 1, Irrlicht, Axiom, etc. are engines that easily outdo yours, it's just a matter of preference which one someone would choose.

Feel free to choose them, fine, no problem.

And that would be the outlook you should have on this.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#38]
I should have made it clear that the parts you really put effort into look good, but the beginning warehouse area, looks pretty random.

aab(Posted 2004) [#39]
demo 5 Crashed when i opened the first door: one of those moments when neither Esc,Task manager, Alt+Tab or even hitting the 'off' button on your PC seem to make a difference. Could be a problem relative to me though (ie: Default Graphics Card)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#40]
Maybe has something to do with the sound it plays when you open a door. if you did already pick up the key and tried to open the metal door, there would be a opening door sound. If you didn't pick the key, there would be a closed door sound plus the message "I have to find a key for this door". If you tried to open the wood door, it says "this door seems to be closed permanently" because it's a dummy door that can never be opened and just shows where the player may have come from.

Anyway, I am sorry for the crash. Personally I have seen many rough crashes like this, not only with my game, but also with any directx app, including non-blitz stuff. I think directX is still a patchwork that was never completely debugged. Sometimes it crashes and wipes out my desktop settings, setting it back to 640 pixels... Also the crashes are not reproducable. Oftenly they happen only the first time something runs. I don't blame it on Blitz.

How is that crash you described - did you try it a second time?

Sledge(Posted 2004) [#41]
That's nice work jfk, but I have a gripe: When the frame rate gets choppy the rate at which you turn increases exponentially; A move of equal distance with the mouse should give you an equal amount of rotation at all times I would say.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#42]
Hmmm... I liked it. One thing ... is it possible to beat the second level?

Anyway, beside that I've always enjoyed your demos. Personally, I'm much more interested in a full game with one of your great conspiracy theory stories than actually using the engine (which I'd develop one of my own).

Mustang(Posted 2004) [#43]
Tried it, worked - quite nice! FPS was smooth too.

Bob3d(Posted 2004) [#44]
yup, jfk should do a game :)

while a bit of what has been said bout gfx may be partially true, I like the ambience. Is not that easy, to make it convince you. While one can notice the texture problems, I could also appreciate some other things ;)
(btw, when he told me, was talking 'bout placeholderish graphics...)

I strongly agree with jeremy. ;)

btw, I rather see the engine thing as a good idea, to try to make some bucks...

(anyway, for example, to work with irrlicht(and in this case, mess with a load of other things, not polished yet, though I have my hopes in that engine) or nebula 1, you'd rather know 'a pair' of things of c++ coding ;)...the usual modder/user is left in the dark, there(you're all artist -coders, or coders...many of u don't see the wall there for certain type of user ;) )...I think jfk's type of engine has a niche, and other easy fps making solutions are too expensive, at least, the well known ones. Not that I am gonna make an fps game or something. ;))

the man seems to be in need of bucks, like me... ;)

NobodyInParticular(Posted 2004) [#45]
I get a MAV right after the first video is played.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#46]
Runs fine on my computer, but Molebox has serious issues with Winex :)

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#47]
Seems to be a problem with the mpeg encoder, sorry. However, the engine should work ok, seems like it's just a codec problem. Byside the crash aab mentioned (door thing).

This sucks since I really tried to use something that is installed everywhere, and mpeg1 should be on all machines, right? Probably some mpeg1s are "more equal" than other mpeg1s.

A full Game release would probably offer to install a missing video codec.

Ricky Smith(Posted 2004) [#48]
Great work as ever JFK !
I agree with the others that you should also make a game with this engine. I really like the style and atmosphere of your levels.

Uber Lieutenant(Posted 2004) [#49]
I have to note that some parts of the new demo I don't like. No, I'm bashing the media, I'm refering to some of the game mechanics. For one, gravity doesn't increase when falling so you basically float down. Second, going down slopes isn't quite smooth as it could be. I also want to point out that the auto-crouching for vents is annoying, most obvious when underwater and instead of going into the hole you have to head towards the wall above it.

The engine still needs a bit of polishing before I can say it's really done. You might want to call this another beta and keep improving it. But if you're at your limit, I totally understand (I'm always like that with homework, 'I notice some errors but...f*** this, it's completed enough to pass.').

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#50]
I totally agree, you just named those things that are top ranking on my "really still gotta do" list. Those are the things I mentioned, saying "some details still need to be tweaked". That's why I said silver, not gold. At least the big challenges where done, reentrant level loading etc. I guess I will fix those things, at least partially, or as far as it's possible for the next release, that is the real public release with the toolset etc.

You have to see, there is a reason why I don't sell this for big lots of $. Some bugs are just part of it's nature. Eg. the auto-crouch thing is used to prevent falling trough the floor or prevent the camera breaks trough the ceil etc. If you go so far with Blitz, you'll see there are several traps and deadends that are real hard to ship around. Such bugs may look easy to fix, but when you know all the complications related to it's solution...

However, I agree with you, those things are not perfect, and I'll try to find a solution.

BTW thanks a lot Smiff!

elias_t(Posted 2004) [#51]
Hi Dieter. Very nice! And runs very smooth here.
If you want some m16 weapons mail me.
Take a look here:
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/233457/Action/FullPreview

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#52]
Wow elias, long time not seen here. Glad you like it :) Very nice colt models BTW. When I click your name, I see you offer a lot of nice models at turbosquid. Cool. I see even the pentagon is there. ;)