Leadfoot GT Engine

Community Forums/Showcase/Leadfoot GT Engine

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#1]

Just a quick few shots of the beginings of our new racing engine. The engine supports a robust arcade style control system. Cars can jump, drift, spin, burnout ... etc etc. The engine is being developed to include dynamic A.I. and networked play.

Damien Sturdy(Posted 2004) [#2]
oh dear ^.^ i have a competitor :D

looking good mate :D

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#3]
Nice looking track... I started on a 3d racing game too a while ago but my track was completely flat.

Another thing is the programming of a more or less realistic transmission and how different gears lead to different engine RPM and speed, at that point I switched to a new project. ;) Maybe I will come back to it and just use a simple solution, like, no transmission.

But I think your game will be quite realistic, from the looks of it?

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#4]
Will you be selling/releasing this engine? Or is it just for in-house stuff?
I'd probably buy it :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#5]
hey... way cool...

a purpose built game engine might be the best way to approach things...

then you can always add different game components to it and make several different 'flavors' of the type game without having to reinvent the wheel.

oh yeah, luv that mini Cooper of yours... :)

--Mike

SopiSoft(Posted 2004) [#6]
can we play a demo?

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#7]
are you using a physics library?

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#8]

Nice looking track

Thank Evak for that ;)

Another thing is the programming of a more or less realistic transmission and how different gears lead to different engine RPM and speed, at that point I switched to a new project. ;) Maybe I will come back to it and just use a simple solution, like, no transmission.

I haven't added that as of yet to this engine, but it will be in there. I did one a long time ago that worked well for Skyline Riders. It actually had reduced acceleration at low RPM ... you could feel the torque curve working. Of course a lot of games seem to just have the sound effects and the tach working with no real effect on the physics. Burnout 3 for one doesn't seem to matter ... the car always accelerates at a constant rate as it appeared to me last night. Yes, this game will be fairly realistic, although I'll probably do another unrealistic game with the engine also.

Will you be selling/releasing this engine? Or is it just for in-house stuff?
I'd probably buy it :)

I'm setting it up to be pretty dynamic ... but I'll have to see how dynamic it will be. If it's good that way then we could possibly sell licenses to use the driving engine.

oh yeah, luv that mini Cooper of yours... :)

Thanks Evak!

can we play a demo?

Sometime, yes!

are you using a physics library?

No, it's all Blitz coded custom physics.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#9]
If you get a good engine going, I'll buy.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#10]
Guys, this stuff is coming along amazingly well. It feels to me quite good (better than the Tokamak stuff IMO). It's still far from a complete engine which could be used dynamically, but it's getting there. The biggest thing I'm worried about currently is car customization. I have it where it feels amazing but it's all based on certain parameters ... which I'm not sure how far you can sway them. If I get some decent leeway out of the parameters though then I'll be happy as it'll allow for a multitude of vehicles.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#11]
Yeah. tokamak was never made for car physics. At least thats our excuse ;)

Anyway, looks great :D cant wait for a demo

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#12]
Started playing with the parameters a bit ... and I've found there's quite a bit of depth. Just by adjusting the horsepower of the car they handle very different. I guess anything could be done, but if I release the engine then I'll probably have a list of ranges for each parameter. Right now the horsepower must be between .006 and .015. Lower than .006 and the car won't budge and higher than .015 and it's sliding too much ... pretty interesting though a .006 the car is slow and just grips the road but upping it to .015 allows it to be loose and fast, sliding through all the turns ... sometimes though being too fast to really take the turn. Anyway, even now there's depth to it so it's possible that a whole sellable engine is in the works with this.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#13]
can cars roll and how will you handle car to car? very difficult to do in blitz.

Kel(Posted 2004) [#14]
Screenshots look cool. the fact that you made the physics yourself is something that will let you modify the engine to make different games. I can imagine that is being a lot of work...( im null at physics Lol) but nothing like making it yourself to learn more. excellent job.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#15]
Why not make an editor that'll let you adjust the various parameters as you play, then export them to a 'car setup' file - ie. like a particle editor. Once you find a nice 'feel' you just hit export.

In fact, I could quite easily modify my in-house particle editor to do this if you're interested, but I'd need the car code to integrate it :/

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#16]
the last proprietary engine I worked with had the wheel nodes offset from the body in code. so you could change wheelbase, radius, spring height damping and strength etc independently of the car model. the nodes would moune and the wheels scale and the body might be in the wrong place once you had done it. but fixing the body was fairly trivial after the fact.

Was sweet as in debug you could change it all in realtime whilst driving, using the cursor keys . all the papameters were listed and you just changed the numbers with the cursors. Something like that might work if you can do it.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#17]
Yeah, I was going to do the export car option. Along with that will be a WYSIWYG editor like AA so cars can be set up and tested and then exported.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#18]

can cars roll and how will you handle car to car? very difficult to do in blitz.

Yes cars can roll, bounce, flip, and in general CRASH ;) ... and car to car collision will be handled in the same manner I handled player to ball collision in Aerial Antics. It's actually not hard in Blitz. Blitz always catches collisions on one object. It always catches the collision of the object that technically moved into the other object. If you have two moving objects you just need to check them both for each other and then dictate the correct course of action.

MikeHart(Posted 2004) [#19]
For people who are into motorsports, have a look here:

http://www.bhmotorsports.com

It is a great page with news, links, etc. to all kinds of racing games.

Three great independent projects are to be mentioned:

1) RACER
2) NETCAR
3) Live for speed

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#20]
Nice site. I always meant to check out Live for Speed. Our stuff will be more arcade style ... or at least start out that way. Don't know where it's going to land up but right now I'm interested in making a fun physics setup that can allow for stable, dynamic, arcade style, 4-wheel vehicle control.

MSW(Posted 2004) [#21]
Looks great :)

How well would the physics work for a more focused motorsport like drag raceing?

Years ago Bethesda made a pretty cool drag raceing sim by the name of Burnout...it was a bit too focused on sportsman and pro classes though, for my taste...I've always wanted to see a real hot rod game with highly modifyable T-Buckets, 34' Fords, etc (with everything from old flathead fours to Jag V-12s, along with the common small block chevy and fords...blown, injected, etc.)...go "cruze" around in your latest toy, bet money and/or your car on races, run from the cops, compete in car shows...All in all, more American Graffiti-ish then Fast and the Furious...

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#22]
Oh boy ... yeah I hear you (gawd wasn't American Graffiti so awesome, although I also loved F&F). This probably could be used for a drag sim. I actually learned to program so that I could make a drag racing game on my calculator in high school. I was (still am a bit) all about drag racing. However, I'm focusing more on GT style (which I think is actually my favorite racing ... although I'll need to visit Virginia International Raceway and try it for real).

Anyway, I'm going to release a little teaser pretty soon so people can see it in action. It's still a little to rough for me to want to release anything playable yet ... but the teaser gives a good idea of what to look forward too.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#23]
Yeah I bought my MX5 Miata to compete in track and autoX events. And have taken part at a couple of events at Laguna Seca and Thunderhill Raceway. My new car doesn't have a SCCA approved rollbar though :( and I have to wait till the Warranty runs out.

I used to live near Goodwood and would often go there on weekends as my best friend deals in classic sports cars. Raced 4 different model corvettes, Aston Martin DB6, and a early 90's Mclaren Le mans car.

Also did some Vintage Rally in old classic cars from around the 60's, Mini clubman, Ford Zephyr and things like that, pretty scary in the zephyr with its awful suspension and drum brakes that didn't like the wet too much lol.

JoshK(Posted 2004) [#24]
I might go for this, if it is easy to integrate vehicles into my own engine.

I couldn't tell, but it looks like you might be aligning the vehicle to the terrain, rather than to its wheels on the terrain. I hope this isn't the case,

I really like the way the shocks handle.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#25]
There are collision points at the wheels and those are what determine the angle of the vehicle. So it is the wheels that determine the angle not just whatever polygon is directly below the car. I can allow the vehicle to tilt over the edge of a cliff for example ... the front wheels can dip down and the rear wheels can still be on the terrain and the car will be at some interpolated angle.