aotg - encounter on blubuzz - beta 2 released

Community Forums/Showcase/aotg - encounter on blubuzz - beta 2 released

Spot-Nothing(Posted 2004) [#1]
hi folks,

we just would like to release the second beta of our coming freeware game "attack of the groox - encounter on blubuzz". new features from beta 1 are:

- splash screen with hiscore display (when online)
- meteorite waves added
- supershot fired by pressing mouse a long time
- high secure online highscore, with website
- more interesting groox attack waves
- several bug fixes

it would be great if you could take a look at this version and report me any bugs or other feedback.

download it here:
http://www.nothing.ch/download/games/aotg.exe

have fun! :)

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#2]
This looks and sounds very good! The title screen of which you have a screenshot is impressive, for instance, and also the sound effects during the game and the incoming meteors, really great.

I have two remarks/ideas about how the game plays.

When aiming, movement seems a bit "jumpy", as if jumping along points on a grid, instead of moving smoothly. This makes the game more difficult than it would otherwise be: when the groox are coming in from one side while you still have to detroy them on the other side this can be a bit frustrating, I think it would be more fun if the aiming was easier. (But I don't know if you can decide this, or whether this is a technical issue.)

The second remark is about the radar. This radar is obviously a very important aspect of the game. The player will constantly look at it, then rotate the gun and shoot at the enemies, then check the radar again... since the radar is at the bottom left of the screen this can be a bit tiring on the eyes. Maybe it would be nice to use the aim as the radar. You would plot the radar blips as usual except that you don't plot them at the lower left of the screen but around the aiming device. That way the player always has the information on incoming enemies at the center of view, which would make for more direct and intuitive game play.

NTense(Posted 2004) [#3]
I have to agree with Foppy on this.. It looks great (especially the intro screen).. But the aiming did feel a bit jittery.. You might want to allow for a mechanism of upgrading weapons, or somehow getting shield points back... Overall, very nice! Great Job!

po(Posted 2004) [#4]
Unable to set graphics mode.. Thats strange, I have never had this problem with other games. I will try restarting my computer.

po(Posted 2004) [#5]
Nevermind, it works now. I found the mouse movement to be too sensitive. Good game though.

Kel(Posted 2004) [#6]
your game is awesome, the sounds effects are very atmospherical, and the intro is impressive (very good the sun effect). The meteor waves are impressive, they really look very real. an impressive game, keep it up!

PS: lol. did I Say it was impressive?

Spot-Nothing(Posted 2004) [#7]
thanks a lot for all the feedback. we'll focussing now on the release candidate which will include:

- improved mouse handling
- additional radar dots in aiming symbol
- more balanced levels

the release candidate will be ready this week so i hope you can take a look at the game again, then.