"Hero the Dog" performance test

Community Forums/Showcase/"Hero the Dog" performance test

swerdnik(Posted 2004) [#1]
This project has been shelved so that I may finish a c++ game called "Cosmo Bots", which is alomst done finally :) So I will be getting back to finishing this game. The game uses the Best Friends source code as its base, and most of my time has been spent on a sophisticated level editor, so there's not much here in the way of gameplay. But I was having some performance issues, and wanted to see how it performs on other people's computers. It's strange to me that it can be choppy- when Best Friends is smooth on the same machine. Is there some sort of a limit for the number of surfaces that, when you cross, performance goes down the toilet?! Thanks! -Mike

http://www.retro64.com/bf2222/herotest2.exe

PS: Check out his idle anims, I think they're cute :)

screenshot:

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#2]
Works smoothly here on my pish 1.1ghz, 256mb RAM and old Gfx2. I hear that you should try and keep the surface count < 200.

Gabriel(Posted 2004) [#3]
Is there some sort of a limit for the number of surfaces that, when you cross, performance goes down the toilet?!

Yeah, about 10, lol. In all seriousness, surface count is by far the biggest problem in most cases, but it's very hard to find a cut off point. I'd say way less than 200 though, but I've been able to keep surface count down to around 20-30 in all the games I've made. I'd certainly be aiming to keep it under 50 if you can.

It's as smooth as a lie from a politician's mouth here, but that's on an Athlon 2700 and Radeon 9700 Pro, so that doesn't tell you much.

simonh(Posted 2004) [#4]
Nice and smooth here, 1.7Ghz and Radeon 9500 Pro. Sprites can be something of a frame killer if you use too many, try and make them all single surface instead.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#5]
"But I was having some performance issues, and wanted to see how it performs on other people's computers."

So... I guess you might say... it runs like a dog?

sswift(Posted 2004) [#6]
Ran fine, but when it first started there appeared to be lots of ugly dithering artifacts and then the video mode changed and they went away. I think maybe you put the game into a 16 bit color mode to start, and your title screen image is dithered which interferes with the dynamicly changing dithering my Radeon does in 16bit color mode. Then you changed to either a non dithered 16bit color mode, or a 32bit color mode and things looked fine.

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#7]
A Donkey Kong remake! :) Nice music...

It runs smoothly (like a greyhound) on my 1.7 Ghz, Radeon 9600 256 Mb.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#8]
ran super smooth on my P-M 1,5ghz ( Benias ) with Mobility Radeon 9700 64MB

skn3(Posted 2004) [#9]
Runs fine, the controls feel a little robotic.

Beaker(Posted 2004) [#10]
Runs fine here.

big10p(Posted 2004) [#11]
Runs pretty smooth here - just 1 or 2 bouts of jerkiness.

850Mhz Athlon
128MB
GeForce 256

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#12]
Runs smoothly for me, although I do get a 1 pixel wide line of corruption (for want of a better word) down the left of the screen.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#13]
Runs quite poorly here, unlike Best Friends. I've got an Athlon XP 2000+, with a GF2 MX. Have you run it through my preprocessor/profiler to figure out why it's running badly?

JazzieB(Posted 2004) [#14]
Runs really smooth on my system. Spec's in my sig.

Game-play wise though, I would feel more comfortable if the game ran a little quicker, as I felt it to be a bit on the slow side.

Anthony Flack(Posted 2004) [#15]
Glad to hear you're hopefully not chucking this one after all, Mike.

SopiSoft(Posted 2004) [#16]
runs smooth here!!!! :-D
PIII 1.0 GHz
384 MB RAM
NVIDIA GeFORCE 4 TI 4200 128 MB DDR RAM

morduun(Posted 2004) [#17]
Runs smooth here.
P3/1G
256MB RAM
ge4ti/4400 256MB RAM
WinXP SP1

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#18]
I didnt notice anything wrong

AMD Athlonx XP +1500
512MB DDR Ram
GeForce 3 Ti500
WinXp Sp2

LineOf7s(Posted 2004) [#19]
Smooth as a baby's freshly-shaved head on what appears to be one of the lesser machines in this thread. :o)

Got the same "dither -> mode change -> no dither" thing sswift mentioned, but to me it just looked like a standard 'game is setting up' sort of thing to do.

[edit] Of course, that only happened the very first time I ran it - then (I guess) the 'prefs' file meant I had but one loading screen before the game proper (and 'twas the non-dithered version). Hurrah! [/edit]