CLE - Cower Landscape Editor ;)

Community Forums/Showcase/CLE - Cower Landscape Editor ;)

N(Posted 2004) [#1]
UPDATED- NOW INCLUDES A GUI AND OTHER FEATURES

This is a knockoff of FLE, albeit entirely my own code so I don't have trouble modifying it later on (Rifraf's coding style is the polar opposite of my own, in a sense).

Anyhow, screenshot:

DOWNLOAD (Licensed under MPL-1.1; Source included)

Binary_Moon(Posted 2004) [#2]
You're getting as bad as Anthony with the constantly changing name, if it wasn't for signatures I wouldn't know who people are half the time.

As for the editor - the results are nice but some docs would be good.

I think you should implement an interface/ gui next so that it's easier to use. Nice start though.

Also in the standard blitz editor indenting functions means they don't show up in the function list which makes navigating the code incredibly difficult.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#3]
Ooh, your landscape looks nice. I can't wait until someone makes a proper map editor with a real gui with all of this.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#4]

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#5]
That was rude, you could have started your own thread is you want to advertise ALE.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#6]
He needs advertise for his overpriced overrestricted ( 64x64 quad meshes ... who the heck has use for such small meshes? ) app so don't take it to hard and look at it as a proof that you have created something great as he needs to hijack your thread :)

N(Posted 2004) [#7]
You're getting as bad as Anthony with the constantly changing name

Yeah, and it's loads of fun too.

Skitchy: I prefer FLE ;)

ckob(Posted 2004) [#8]
this looks great :) keep it up I think free tools like this is whats going to help the community develope some pretty intense games. Not to mention the community envolvment with things lately have been awesome.

N(Posted 2004) [#9]
ckob: Yeah, it's great to provide the commercial tools (the ones marketed towards independent developers, not the really big ones marketed towards huge studios) with some half-decent competition. ;)

As for releasing this, well I did that 'cause there's no advantage to using it over CLE. Ever. Really. So what would I gain by not releasing it? Nothing :P So there it is, available to take your abuse.

N(Posted 2004) [#10]
OK, I just noticed the two replies above my first one...

who the heck has use for such small meshes?

Actually, it's not small, it depends on the scale of the mesh itself. If it's going to be crossing an expanse of say, 1000m by 1000m, then yeah, that's ridiculously small, but if it's like a back yard, then that's ridiculously high detail for something like that. Just an example, but in any case limiting the user like that is just pointless.

That was rude, you could have started your own thread is you want to advertise ALE.

It wasn't rude, don't jump the gun on this. All he was doing was pointing out that there was such a thing as what Pickles was asking for, he didn't say anything bad about the subject material or start going off on a limb praising his software.

To Skitchy
I'd like you to remove the link to ALE from this thread. It's nothing personal, but I'd like to keep this thread on-topic throughout. If you have something to say about my terrain system, say it. Otherwise, remove the contents of your reply.

To moderators
If Skitchy has nothing to say about the editor in itself or doesn't remove the contents of his reply, I'd like to ask you to remove his reply from this thread, please. Thank you.

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#11]
Ok, it was just Mr. Picklesworth asking about a completed editor with GUI etc. that prompted me to post (politely), but its removed now :)

N(Posted 2004) [#12]
Thanks, Skitchy. I just don't want anything to erupt into a flame war ('cause as seen above, one might spark).

Skitchy(Posted 2004) [#13]
No problem :)

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#14]
Looks good. Anymore screenshots?

sswift(Posted 2004) [#15]
For some reason, that terrain reminds me of Dragon Ball Z.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#16]
the constantly changing name is irritating

N(Posted 2004) [#17]
New release (redownload from the link in the top post).

BloodLocust: SAUSAGE FACE!

Caff(Posted 2004) [#18]
Good start, hope you do more on it.

Why not call it Cower Landscaping Instant Terrain?

N(Posted 2004) [#19]
Why not call it Cower Landscape Editor? Sounds funny? That's the point ¬_¬

Don't really care what it's called since I'm making it primarily for myself.

Oh yes.. plans for a GUI. The GUI will be, in a sense, a plug-and-play thing.

It will work like this:
Include "YourGUI.bb" ;; This includes the code to create, update, and destroy your GUI

;; OPEN Main Loop
Repeat
     ;; ... Stuff ...
     ;; Update GUI before RenderWorld
     CLE_UpdateGUI3D()  ;; This function comes out of YourGUI.bb, it's called before RenderWorld because it references a 3D GUI

;; Render stuff

;; Update GUI after RenderWorld
     CLE_UpdateGUI2D()  ;; This function also comes out of YourGUI.bb, it's called after RenderWorld and before Flip() because it's for a 2D GUI, these are the only functions that CLE has to know about, you can handle the inner workings on your own

;; Flip buffers however you want
Until KeyHit(1)
;; CLOSE Main Loop

I'm not saying you have to write your own GUI, I will write a default one (I'll probably include two GUIs, one for F-UI 3D and one for Eniretu- both 3D so there's less slowdown on render). But my point is that through this it'll be less hassle when someone wants to write their own GUI (I saw what happened on FUI, enough GUIs to drive me mad- and I contributed to the madness).

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#20]
why not call it the Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society

N(Posted 2004) [#21]
Fixed the icky tiling on the grass texture.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#22]
Good start, hope you do more on it.

Why not call it Cower Landscaping Instant Terrain?
Yes CLIT has a good feel to it.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#23]
Nice job Noel!

ashmantle(Posted 2004) [#24]
It doesn't look real.. make it look real!!

ehm... ;) It looks really nice! Keep it up, please ^^

N(Posted 2004) [#25]
Almost done with the GUI.. so very close to being done with the GUI...

Eole(Posted 2004) [#26]
It's good, but your terrain system is very slow, what do you do to arragne it ?

N(Posted 2004) [#27]
Eole: It's either slow 'cause your computer sucks, or 'cause I'm using VertexCoords. Either way, works fine for me.

Eole(Posted 2004) [#28]
Ok, it's work fine on a very good PC ...

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#29]
Do post a version with finished gui, you annoying name-changing person...

CyBeRGoth(Posted 2004) [#30]
"why not call it the Committee for the Liberation and Integration of Terrifying Organisms and their Rehabilitation Into Society" - Good Red Dwarf Quote :p

Love the terrain editor Noel

Yeah post the version with GUI that would be cool :)
Works very fast for me too and the results look nice.

N(Posted 2004) [#31]
GUI version is now finished, I'll upload the source and an executable later ('cause not everyone is going to have F-UI).

I'll also include a template GUI file so that anyone who wants to include another GUI with it can (I wanted to include a BlitzUI GUI as well but I really don't have the patience to spend the time to maintain two GUIs).

N(Posted 2004) [#32]
The version with the GUI has been released. Same link as always (very top post, DOWNLOAD link). It includes the source code to CLE, the GUI, a template GUI framework, my AnimaStack code (can be found in the code archives), an executable in the case that you do not have F-UI (which is very likely), and some textures (two diffuse textures, two detail textures, and a heightmap).

No test .CLM files come with this, but it's not hard to make your own (takes like... a minute).

New features include the smooth brush, exporting a heightmap, saving texture paths in the CLM format, adding and removing layers at will (from the top only at the moment), and, of course, the plug-and-play GUI thing.

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#33]
It's nice so far.
Need more camera movements, and maybe hotkeys for the terrain editing functions.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#34]
How do you fix the tiling? Just wondering. Not like I'm smart enough to know how to use it.....

N(Posted 2004) [#35]
Enemies: Er... what in the bloody heck are you talking about?

Binary_Moon(Posted 2004) [#36]
Can you make it work with F-UI lite? That way it can remain open source and everyone can use/ edit it.

It would be a good advert for the full version of F-UI as well.

Looks good as well - will try it when I'm not at work.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#37]
Very nice, I shall be using this shortly along with your Ulysses thingy.

superqix(Posted 2004) [#38]
What I'd like to see with one of these free landscape editors is the ability to drop B3D meshes on a landscape and get the shadows baked into the lightmap texture.

Perhaps I should stop talking about and just do it :)

N(Posted 2004) [#39]
superqix: I'm planning on allowing that.

wmaass(Posted 2004) [#40]
That would be great -- I always liked how TerraEd could do that.

Lumivel(Posted 2004) [#41]
Hey Noey,

10/10. Add the placing of meshes already! And since nobody else has said it, I for one appreciate that you have provided this free to the community. You and I both know a lot of people would have paid.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#42]
Perhaps. but i think almost everyone knows how easy it is to make an alpha blending terrain editor. Im suprised anyone bought stichys. not that it isnt good, but the idea and code behind editors like that are just so simple.

angel martinez(Posted 2004) [#43]
I have tried CLE and I think it is very good, but how can I export the terrain I make?

N(Posted 2004) [#44]
martinez: I'm still working on writing an importer for the CLM format that doesn't require the rest of the system. Until then, you can remove the stuff in the system that does anything in the main program (besides the globals initialized by the system) and then include that code (without the GUI) into your project and call ImportCLM().

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#45]
why not just export a common model format? that blitz(and other things) can load without code.

N(Posted 2004) [#46]
RifRaf: 'Cause right now CLM is smaller than B3D and can hold the information neccessary.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#47]
And what is the use of it when you can not take the model over to Gile[s] for example or to an entity placement editor or programs that have a fixed pipeline and are only able to open "models"
I see the need for an internal format or editor own format. But why force users to use this for their own use as well?

N(Posted 2004) [#48]
And what is the use of it when you can not take the model over to Gile[s]

I don't use Gile[s], so what use is that to me?

or to an entity placement editor

Wrote my own.

or programs that have a fixed pipeline and are only able to open "models"

Such as? 3d Studio Max? Plugins. Maya? Plugins. XSI? Plugins. If you need to import a model made in CLE into another program, then that's your problem that you need to solve. I'm not selling this and as such any development to this project done by me is of my own free will, and as such those developments will only be done if they appeal to my needs. I'm not trying to market this to people, I'm giving it away 'cause I think it could help some people, but I have no intention of doing what someone wants if I don't need it.

But why force users to use this for their own use as well?

How am I forcing users to use this format when the project itself is open source? If someone wants to take the time to write an exporter for another format, they have the option to. I don't need another format, and as such I won't be writing any exporters for other formats. You have to remember that I wrote this for my own use, not for other people. Any features added through request are those that I think could benefit my work, and any updates released are those I decide to release. Anything anyone else gets out of this project is a byproduct of my needs.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#49]
Noel, make a pay version and include all this stuff people want. I bought ALE, but i feel the terrains are too high poly. Produced excellent results tho. What i'd like is some texturing options like, texture by height. Rock texture higher up, then grass, then some mud lower down. Entity Placement editor too. Exportable to .b3d format. The ability to split the terrain up into smaller chunks. ALE only split it up into 4 chunks. Would have liked more :)

Well...you still sitting there? Get cracking! :P Or point my to an alternative program that does this :)

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#50]
Sorry I did not mean to attack you.
Just thought it might be even more usefull for you then as well but I seem to have thought wrong.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#51]
/RossC hands dreamora a large stick.

Attack him with that :o)

Lumivel(Posted 2004) [#52]
Noel: You give em' an inch and they want a mile eh?

BlackD(Posted 2004) [#53]
Free isn't good enough. They want it to be free, and the fastest, and the prettiest, the most user friendly, with the most export options, with, etc.

Next you'll get some guy coming along saying "I can do better landscapes in terragen.." not having any idea what he's talking about.

Noel: Nice work. :)

Folks who want export options: You've got the source code. Presuming you know how to actually code in Blitz3D then you'll be able to write your own export function, or easily adapt his loading function into your program. If you can't do either of these things, then even if it DID have an export to B3D function - what about the rest of the game? So you got a cool landscape.. lets see you write the rest of the engine when you can't even write an export function. :) Unless of course your entire project consists of snipping other peoples code... [/rant]

+BlackD

N(Posted 2004) [#54]
BlackD: Actually, I covered that above.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#55]
Most everything can load in a heightmap. Milkshape can, FLE can, etc.

I think this is the best terrain editor yet.

N(Posted 2004) [#56]
I think this is the best terrain editor yet.

You haven't used very many terrain editors, have you?

There are a great deal more that are faster, more intuitive, and much more powerful than this. I can't name any of them because I don't remember the names, but Google is our Lord and thus it provides us with wisdom beyond measure. And other goodies.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#57]
Geoscape is one. but 80$ for geoscape is overpriced on the other hand ... like not named *LE ;)

N(Posted 2004) [#58]
I think that if it plays an important role in the development of your project, the price is justified.

wmaass(Posted 2004) [#59]
Tried the GeoScape demo several times. It has some robust features but I find CLE and FLE a better option.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#60]
I meant "best free terrain editor."

And Google is thy Lord. :D