ShipDemo Download

Community Forums/Showcase/ShipDemo Download

gpete(Posted 2004) [#1]
Try this out...its a demo of a ship at sea- simple ship model- ;) and its a little twitchy... really weird at the
"ocean" edges. Use arrow keys, A&Z, X&C - Esc quits.

http://home.wavecable.com/~peteswansen/ShipDemo.zip

1220K size, includes pics, wavs, model
Comments?

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
i'd like to see a screenie.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#3]
It's just a few primitives together that resemble a ship, with some basic particles coming out as smoke, on top of a mipmaped water that seems to have some pretty strange and long waves. You move the ship around with cursors, theres not much to comment.

Whats the point of this, what should we comment?

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#4]
Not bad the way the ship moves on the ocean :o) Apart from that, errr.... :o)

puki(Posted 2004) [#5]
Interesting - kind of reminded me (in a way - the ocean and bobbing) of the Dark Basic JetSki demo.

gpete(Posted 2004) [#6]
Thanks for looking, I was thinking about using this as a basis for a naval battle game. The bobbing about is based on the Mad Jack pitch and roll example in the code archives and the waves came from another post (sorry can't remember who's!). I'll concentrate on some realistic ship models, (with turrets, torpedoes,) and some sort of firing and hit procedure.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#7]
hey puk... remember that :) the Jetski demo in DB...

the water was one of the few things i liked about the old DB...

i even played with doin my own sub sim in it...

... until i found out how slow it rendered. (old sub model running in DB Jetski seas )

Nice start 'Pete...

take a quick look at these pics ( bottom one in Blitz made ocean, Titanic model the work of Guillaume Darier ) ...

ideally you'd want your water to be a lil dynamic (move a lil)... to simulate some wave action...

see how the water seems to undulate near the ship instead of being a flat plane like surface... although i may have made these waves a lil too big (wide) and might need to scale em down a bit...

anyway... i can send you some code if you wanna look at it... stuff i hacked and moded from somone elses example :)

i like naval sims... i hope you continue through with this...

--Mike

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#8]
Heh, wrote that pitch/roll code years ago. Hope you enjoy B3d as much as I have GPete.

Perhaps an extra outside roll factor based on turn tightness and wave angle could add to the feel. If you've ever seen video of a destroyer hauling about at speed you might know what I mean.

gpete(Posted 2004) [#9]
Red October- Wow! Very Nice!
Mad Jack- (I liked your pitch and roll code- fun!) I think the nautical term is "heeling". I work on carriers and submarines, so I "really" have first hand knowledge of their internal and external layouts....
I think I'll rewrite the wave code, it currently is not realistic. I have a worklog entry for this project. I just bought the old SimCan programs- Kreigsmarine and Grand Fleet from Clash of Arms...($10 each), I think they are old DOS programs.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#10]
Red October- That picture of the Titanic is extremely realistic. I don't know how you guys do this stuff.

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#11]
"That picture of the Titanic is extremely realistic."

No it's not, it's still afloat ;)

Very nice models you have there Red Ocktober. And will look for your next demo Gpete :)

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#12]
actually, i didn't make the Titanic model...

i borrowed it from a guy named Guillaume Darier while i was writing the water code... he is a very talented model shipmaker... yeah, his Titanic model is coool...

my model shipbuilding skills are limited to closing off the ends of cylinders and painting em dark grey or black and calling em submarines...

the thing that makes the scene work, as i was trying to point out to GP, was...

the undulating uneven surface of the water (a sine wave formula applied to the y pos of the vertices)...

... and a lil fog to force a distance perspective.

... placing the camera low on the water to try and force a lil size for the ship.

LOL @ joncom...

--Mike