Updated Ragdoll Rider videos

Community Forums/Showcase/Updated Ragdoll Rider videos

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#1]
I've now got the traffic cars in and working as Tokamak objects, so I've updated the 4 AVIs on my webpage to show the new effect - there is now a 5 car traffic jam for the bike to plough into, with each car able to be moved by the bike and rider, and also shunted by the other cars.

In the first video the rider ends up sprawled across the roof of one of the cars.

The screenshots on the webpage are old ones but the 4 videos are new, at the bottom of the page.

http://www.jameskett.dsl.pipex.com/blitz2.htm

hope you like them.
James

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#2]
You mean just download the 4 files? Cos the page and links look the same like the first 1.

If i try download the first 3 videos I get

Page not found

The page you are trying to get to was not found at this address.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#3]
LoL you're probably uploading the new ones :) i just downloaded number 4 properly and it seems the same like the first versions.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#4]
Looks better with other bodies reacting to impact. Are you faking the initial dismount of the rider? By that I mean the rider is positioned above and ahead of the bike on impact, then let tokamak do the rest?

Looks like a lot of fun, is there a demo on the horizon?

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#5]
Ah, so it is working now?

I'm not exactly faking the impact - when the bike hits something tokamak bodies are created for the bike and for each part of the rider. The rider's parts are jointed together correctly. Tokamak bodies are also created for the traffic vehicles.

I am then setting these bodies to the correct velocities before the impacts and then the simulation is left to get on with it.

So when the crash starts the rider is in the correct position on the bike. Obviously the bike tokamak body is not completely bike shaped, just a cube and a sphere, but it seems to work.

SopiSoft(Posted 2004) [#6]
cool videos!

CopperCircle(Posted 2004) [#7]
Wow, looking really cool, you could do a GTA style game with this.

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#8]
Actually, the only one of the four that seems to react the way a biker would if they hit a car like that is #4. The other ones for whatever reason, the biker is getting tossed far too much upward. Almost looks like it's straight up. I don't know how tokamak works but the human body will indeed bounce, but it will also absorbe a great deal of that impact (transferring it to internal organs, bones that will snap, etc). If there's some way of causing the body to have less "rebound" or something it would probalby be a good idea.

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#9]
Part of the reason he shoots straight up is that I am applying a slightly random force upwards at the time of impact, because I like seeing the rider fly for miles and have lots of bone-crunching impacts - you're right though, he does seem to fly a little high...but I can soon tone that down.

I can't remember if I am yet scaling the rider's impact forces to the speed of the impact or not - if not, that will help also.

Idaho Razor(Posted 2004) [#10]
awesome!

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#11]
cheers mate!

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#12]
looks very nice indeedy.

How easy is tokamak?

Vorderman(Posted 2004) [#13]
it's very easy - easier than ODE as far as I can remember (and I wrote the first DLL for ODE and still found it awkward to use).

The only things it lacks are a decent friction model allowing different friction in different directions, and some form of spring object (ODE has a really good carwheel joint, whereas with tokamak you have to build the joint up yourself and somehow fake the spring).

I'm looking forward to trying out the new ODE interface that's just been released.