F.L.E Thread #3

Community Forums/Showcase/F.L.E Thread #3

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#1]
F.L.E free landscape editor. Thread 3. prev threads found below.
FLE THREAD 1
http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=37611
FLE THREAD 2
http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=37805

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#2]
yes, jfk. I had to drop your funtion it was too slow to really use. I replaced it with a simplified function that just runs through all verts on layer1. records the highest, records the lowest.. records the distance between them divided by the number of layers, then runs though the verts again , checking the height versus the each layers threshhold, and fades accordingly based on the current brushspeed.

http://www.hoverhavok.mmocrafter.com/fle14.jpg?

the 4 pics show how using different brushspeeds will effect the autotexture.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
Could you top this thread with the most recent download? Just to make things easy for people to find.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#4]
new version up.
http://www.hoverhavok.mmocrafter.com/fle_compiled.zip

ckob(Posted 2004) [#5]
Rifraf: when will you be releasing the source to that compiled version?

We should get a site dedicated to this project or something

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#6]
I wont be posting the source anymore, you can always work with the my old source if you like. I have posted the compiled version in the Blitz tools area.

right now im putting a detailed help file together.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#7]
I still can't "paint." I'll try the latest version, though...happy days...

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#8]
dont have a paint issue here.. looked over the code, dont see how you can have one.

new shot.. some progress.
this shot if from a terrain that originally 40k tris
and at export was reduced to only 21k. I am still trying to fine tune the export optimize, but it works well as is.

http://www.hoverhavok.mmocrafter.com/fle16.jpg?

N(Posted 2004) [#9]
Looking good, RifRaf. The texture in that shot is less than good looking, might wanna take the one in the archive I posted a while back and use it. It works nicely.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#10]
theres another shot of the same terrain outside the editor. I dont have any "quality textures" to test with, and im not much of an artist. so ill have to use the ones i have for now :)

N(Posted 2004) [#11]
You can take those I provided with my archive. Doesn't make a difference to me, but they work nicely.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#12]
NIce scene, Rifraf, but you shouldn't turn mipmapping off for the trees IMHO. Instead paint the transparent color of the masked textures green while setting the alphabytes of those textels to zero, this will look better and is also faster.

Depeding on the usage of the scene I'd also suggest to use a higher scaling of the textures if you are planing to use it without a dense fog that will hide everything that is bejond 50 Meters away.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#13]
thanks. jfk. Those are blitztrees however. I havent made any of my own. Made a help file.. its in this code box, and will from now on me included in the zip.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#14]
how did you make that water?

I really need to....

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#15]
its just a plane, textured

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#16]
I already answered you somwhere else, TextureWobbler is a Tool that lets you create animated textures for water fx. check out the toolbox.

Well, basicly for water you only need a plane or something like that and set the alpha to 0.5 or something. THere are a lot of methods to get waterish stuff, some of them are using way too much polygons IMHO.

I have released TextureWobbler as a freewaretool although it is the quinte essence of my artistic work and a lot of people asked me "how did you do the water FX". It's there.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#17]
@jfk, did someone ask about texturewobble? what am i missing here :)

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#18]
new version up.. alot of small bug fixes. same link as above

N(Posted 2004) [#19]
When I hold Ctrl in the compiled version to move the camera view, it moves wildly to the upper left. I guess you picked the wrong X,Y coordinates for mouse movement and you're just not using MouseXSpeed and MouseYSpeed.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#20]
no, when i made it it was using mousespeed. I forgot i had control down as an alternative mouse look, i had planned to remove it all together.. ill take care of it in the next release

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#21]
Rifraf - I guess it was No Enemies who asked how to make water FX somewhere, thus I mentioned (again) texturewobbler, the tool.

N(Posted 2004) [#22]
PICTAR

Now guess what I made that in ;)
It wasn't FLE and it wasn't ALE.

Actually, it's my own terrain editor. It uses the same concepts as FLE and works very nicely. I'll release the source code under the MPL soon enough.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#23]
I know how to make water, how do I make that water? How can you make it transparent? Can you do something like:

EntityAlpha waterplane, 90

Is EntityAlpha a command?

Erroneouss(Posted 2004) [#24]
@NoEnemies:
EntityAlpha is a command that uses 0.0 to 1.0
0.0 being totally see thru (not even seeing it cuz its so see thru), and 1.0 ( not being able to see thru at all cuz u can fully see it)
it would be:

EntityAlpha waterplane, 0.9

btw, to rifraf (and everyone else who helped on FLE), great Job, FLE is a great editor and i like it a lot... ;D

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#25]
thanks! I knew it!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#26]
I guess EntityAlpha is even described in the Command reference. Just click Help and follow the clues. Some would say RTFM. ;) Maybe also try to load the watertexture with the Alpha Flag instead (tex=loadtexture("water.bmp",2)), this will make the darker pixels more transparent and the brighter ones more opaque.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#27]
UPDATED SHOT..
making some progress, havent found alot of time to work with it. but i improved the lightmapping quite a bit, changed default texture size so they are a little larger on program start. and now the Brush speed effects almost every function.. even lightmapping.

http://www.hoverhavok.mmocrafter.com/fle18.jpg?

I havent uploaded new version yet, i will do that soon

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#28]
Is the most recently updated version in the Toolbox?

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#29]
no not yet, ill post when ive uploaded it. im at work at the moment

wmaass(Posted 2004) [#30]
That is lovely.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#31]
ok newest version is up .. same link. you can get it from toolbox. or http://www.hoverhavok.mmocrafter.com/fle_compiled.zip

whats new?
1).Better lightmappig (IMO)
2).Better optimized mesh export. I tested a 120k tri terrain, and it exported down to 42k.
3).The BrushSpeed setting effects almost everything now.
so you have more control over how fast you push, pull, raise , lower terrain, how sharp your lightmapping is.. ect.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#32]

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#33]
latest screenie looks very nice

wmaass(Posted 2004) [#34]
Rif the new BrushSpeed effects makes a big difference, thanks!

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#35]
Thanks...turns out my subconsious mind made me push the left button! I have no control over myself now. I've gone completely insane. I can't tell left from right! AHHHHHHHH!!!!

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#36]
FLE + CLE = ALE Dead

N(Posted 2004) [#37]
xmlspy: The latest version of CLE (which is residing on my hard drive until I finish the GUI version) should prove a very formidable opponent for ALE. As for FLE, I see no reason to use ALE when FLE has pretty much everything ALE has as far as I can see.

Just my take on the situation. While ALE was good when released, as far as I can see there no longer remains a reason to use it over FLE aside from the better looking GUI, and where that's concerned, CLE will blow FLE's away. (I'm sure RifRaf agrees with me that the FLE GUI isn't the best looking- it serves its purpose exactly as it should, but it could use some new looks) ;)

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#38]
i like my gui.. needs a redraw of main images, but i like its deisgn and flow.. but thats just me. FLE will get an update tommorrow, I have added another type of autotexture.. there are now two.

the RIDGE button , has been replaced with new code.. it now autotextures the terrain based on vertex normals, while the Auto texture, will texture the terrain based on vertex heights.

also fixed some bugs in the fle save, and fle load.. older versions of .FLE files will not load properly anymore from the older versions into the new one i upload.

N(Posted 2004) [#39]
Oh yeah, RifRaf, I might redraw the GUI. If you want the new version if and when I finish it I'll stick it on my ftp and you can download it.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#40]
FLE updates.. use the same link as above.

changes are
..Fixed a bug in load/save FLE.. older version FLE files wont load properly in this new version.
..Heightmap laoder is now also effected by Brushspeed setting, so you have direct control over amplitude of terrain maps.
..the old ridge function , has been removed I have replaced it with a autotexturing function that textures the terrain by vertex normals. .. the old autotexture still works the same. by terrain height.

thats it for now.. still a work in progress. .X export comming soon.

N(Posted 2004) [#41]

Remade the GUI images. As far as I'm concerned, they look better than the originals.

wmaass(Posted 2004) [#42]
ooo, I like it. <edit> nevermind...had a brain fart.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#43]
wow, that is nice looking gui graphics, thanks! new version uploaded including new gui gfx.
ok heres a shot of the new gui gfx in action.. i like it alot.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#44]
WOW nice GUI. A great product just got greater.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#45]
One suggestion (great GUI, by the way): Make the little checkbox blue. I think you'd be able to see it better on the Brush Speed/Size...those scrolly things. And maye make it a circle. But other than that....it's wonderful...absolutely genius...

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#46]
Its the same GUI code under the hood, Noel updated the skin with some really cool looking gfk.. if were up to my artistic ability. FLE skin would have looked plain forever.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#47]
I knew it was the same code...HA!

N(Posted 2004) [#48]
RifRaf: I was wondering if I could have a look at your lightmapping code. Right now I've got shadow casting and lighting overall (smooth, not the faceted kind) down, but the aliased edges are bugging me and running a couple rounds of box filtering over it is making it too blurry for normal application.

By the way, if you could e-mail a specs sheet of the FLE format to me that'd be good (trying to make FLE and CLE cross-compatible). I'd send you the CLM specs sheet too, of course. I can't translate the code for my importer to FLE, but it should be a simple matter of just changing a few lines to suit yours.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#49]
@noel .. didnt you say my code was too sloppy? :) lol. I dont do anythign special, just check line of sight to sun spot, then do light variance based on normals.

Workign on a tree editor to hopefully compliment fle. Nothing like The stuff over at aliencodec, if you got a few bucks i recommend thiers, but perhaps these will work as placeholder trees until you get the good editors. since i obviously cannot bundle any aliencodec tree makers with fle.. this is the best i can do.. its still in early stages, and this tree was made with very low res textures, and no lightmappig in the leaves.

N(Posted 2004) [#50]
@noel .. didnt you say my code was too sloppy? :)

That doesn't mean I can't decipher it ;)

And the tree editor has improved a lot since I tried it (considering that when I tried it was just a trunk ;)

Anyhow, talk to you about it later.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#51]
heres the save() function to save FLE format.

Function savework()
 ; File Requester

; (for a loader filerequester use:)
 ;     sAFilter$ = "Blitz3D (*.B3D)" + Chr(0) + "*.B3D" + 

Chr(0) + "3D Studio (*.3DS)" + Chr(0) + "*.3DS" + Chr(0) + "DirectX7 (*.X)" + Chr(0) + "*.X" + Chr(0) + "All Files (*.*)" + Chr(0) + "*.*" + Chr(0)
 ;     sFileName$ = DLLGetOpenFileName$("Please select a Mesh File...","",sAFilter$,OFN_HIDEREADONLY Or OFN_FILEMUSTEXIST)
 ; for more info about the blitzsys read the blitzsys docs from the original distribution
 ;
 sAFilter$ = "F.L.E project (*.FLE)" + Chr(0) + "*.FLE" + Chr(0) + "All Files (*.*)" + Chr(0) + "*.*" + Chr(0)
 sFileName3$ = DLLGetSaveFileName$("Save F.L.E progress (*.FLE) As...","",sAFilter$,OFN_HIDEREADONLY Or OFN_FILEMUSTEXIST ) ;Or OFN_OVERWRITEPROMPT)

If sFileName3$<>""
  ; actually we save 2 files, when you enter "test", it will be "test_1.b3d" and "test_2.b3d"
  ; so the Win-Api-built-in overwriting-prompt isn't useful anyway.
  If Upper$(Right$(sFileName3$,4))=".FLE" Then sFileName3$=Left$(sFileName3$,Len(sFileName3$)-4)
  FN$=sFileName3$+".FLE"

sfile=WriteFile (fn$)
 WriteInt sfile, numlayers
 WriteInt sfile, lsegments
  For i=1 To numlayers
   WriteString sfile,use_tex$(i)
   WriteFloat sfile,layertexscale(i)
   Next 

For i=1 To numlayers
   s=GetSurface(layer(i),1)
   vc=CountVertices(s)-1
    For v=0 To vc
     WriteFloat sfile, VertexX(s,v)
     WriteFloat sfile, VertexY(s,v)
     WriteFloat sfile, VertexZ(s,v)

WriteFloat sfile, VertexRed(s,v)
     WriteFloat sfile, VertexGreen(s,v)
     WriteFloat sfile, VertexBlue(s,v)

WriteFloat sfile, VertexAlpha(s,v)
   Next
  Next
CloseFile sfile
Else
Return
  EndIf
End Function

heres the load function. if you want to modify this to load CLE terrains i will gladly throw it in as an option when loading work.

Function loadwork(sf$="")
 ; File Requester

; (for a loader filerequester use:)
 ;     sAFilter$ = "Blitz3D (*.B3D)" + Chr(0) + "*.B3D" +

Chr(0) + "3D Studio (*.3DS)" + Chr(0) + "*.3DS" + Chr(0) + "DirectX7 (*.X)" + Chr(0) + "*.X" + Chr(0) + "All Files (*.*)" + Chr(0) + "*.*" + Chr(0)
 ;     sFileName$ = DLLGetOpenFileName$("Please select a Mesh File...","",sAFilter$,OFN_HIDEREADONLY Or OFN_FILEMUSTEXIST)
 ; for more info about the blitzsys read the blitzsys docs from the original distribution
 ;
If sf$="" Then 
 sAFilter$ = "Load F.L.E (*.FLE)" + Chr(0) + "*.FLE" + Chr

(0) + "All Files (*.*)" + Chr(0) + "*.*" + Chr(0)
 sFileName3$ = DLLGetopenFileName$("Load F.L.E project (*.FLE).","",sAFilter$,OFN_HIDEREADONLY Or OFN_FILEMUSTEXIST ) ;Or OFN_OVERWRITEPROMPT)
Else
sfilename3$=sf$
EndIf

If sFileName3$<>""
  FN$=sFileName3$

For i=1 To numlayers
FreeTexture  layertexture(i)
FreeBrush layerbrush(i)
ClearSurface GetSurface(layer(i),1)
FreeEntity layer(i)
Next

If fn$<>"" Then 
  If FileType(fn$)=1 Then 
;sets get segment size
 checkf=ReadFile(fn$)
 numlayers=ReadInt(checkf)
 lsegments=ReadInt(checkf)
;RuntimeError numlayers+" "+lsegments
 For i=1 To numlayers
  use_tex$(i)=ReadString(checkf)
  loadscale#(i)=ReadFloat#(checkf)

;strip path
     ; so strip the path
	  For i2= Len(use_tex$(i)) To 1 Step -1
	   If Mid$(use_tex$(i),i2,1)="\" Then
	    use_tex$(i)=Right$(use_tex$(i),Len(use_tex$(i))-i2)
	    Exit
	   EndIf
	  Next

Next
 CloseFile checkf
 EndIf
 EndIf

hope its not too sloppy :)

N(Posted 2004) [#52]
It could be more flexible, but it's your format so I'm not complaining.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#53]
lol.. its called simplified. not limited. no need to make simple tasks complex imo

N(Posted 2004) [#54]
Yeah, but considering CLE will be undergoing a lot of changes, it's worth the time I spent to make the file format easily changed without corrupting files made in older versions.

N(Posted 2004) [#55]
I haven't tested this (frankly, I can't- easily, at any rate), but most errors should be easily fixed when encountered.

RifRaf(Posted 2004) [#56]
a few minor bug fixes

www.hoverhavok.mmocrafter.com/fle_compiled.zip