Tank Universal

Community Forums/Showcase/Tank Universal

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#1]
Another weekend's worth of work.

Have started to add ParticleCandyFx. It's amazing how particle fx's really add to the atmosphere. The plumes of smoke are from destroyed tanks. They also add a gameplay element in that they can obscure incoming tanks or shells.

The bulbous things in front are projector gem pods.

The interface and gun on the right are still placeholders.

GNS(Posted 2004) [#2]
Excellent stuff! The addition of the projector pods gives the game an interesting 'organic' look. Definitely looking forward to trying a new demo.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#3]
looks like halflife.

Foppy(Posted 2004) [#4]
This looks really great!

morduun(Posted 2004) [#5]
Looks even more awesome every time you update, MadJack -- keep on at your own pace and don't stop until you're satisfied, because this just looks ace.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#6]
I remember when this project started... I don't think anyone believed it'd get this far!

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#7]
Bloodlocust/Mordunn/Foppy/Yavin/GNS

'I remember when this project started... I don't think anyone believed it'd get this far! '

Heh - the usual response would be 'myself included', but the fact is I want to have a game published, I want it to be a game I'd like to play myself, and that's been my goal from the outset. It's just taking quite a while to get there.

Part of that has been boning up on all the different areas a lone coder has to, just to produce something halfway decent.

The other thing is that it's only in the last year or so that a number of high quality *reliable* apps have appeared that really help out.

Finally, major scope creep - usually when I got a feature working and after playing it to death, felt that it needed 'something more'. Getting the mix right is really difficult.

Anyway, a few more pics

Yes, that is a ParticleCandy emitter in the foreground - another bug. Want to include coloured light circles on the terrain as well - should add an extra touch.

Artillery. Can fire over a very long distance. Shells come straight down (so can fire into a maze eh?)

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#8]
Nice stuff.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#9]
That looks awesome....

aab(Posted 2004) [#10]
Originality flares. specially love the detail in the radar

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#11]
aab

Thanks - will need to overhaul the radar probably though, needs to be crystal clear I think.

Steve Elliott(Posted 2004) [#12]
Looking very impressive! Keep up the good work!

SabataRH(Posted 2004) [#13]
I love the radar...

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#14]
Thanks guys. The long road continues.

I've been baulking at a couple of pieces of coding work and have instead been diverting myself with designing level 4.

Getting there - still needs much work. Level design takes so much time and just when is a level finished? I don't know. I do know my texturing skills are naff.

I'm hoping that when I get to the end of this level, it'll force me to finish up the Behemoth animation and behaviour coding.

plan to add lightning snaking out from the globes for a bit of drama.

GrahamK(Posted 2004) [#15]
Looking better and better every time I see it....

Keep going man, can't wait for this to be finished.

Mikel(Posted 2004) [#16]
This is an inspiration to us all!
Excellent MadJack! Thanks for the updates.

wizzlefish(Posted 2004) [#17]
This looks awesome....especially the radar....

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#18]
Anyone got a really fully featured lightning bolt generation code, that's public domain?

GNS(Posted 2004) [#19]
There's one in the Code Archives by EdzUp: http://www.blitzbasic.com/codearcs/codearcs.php?code=439

Dunno how 'fully featured' it is but the code seems fairly easy to implement.

On a different note, looking great MadJack. Certainly has come a long, long way from the original demo (which I'd like to play again, provided I can find somewhere to download it).

MadJack(Posted 2004) [#20]
GNS

Yep, have been using that one. Just wondered if there was something a bit more sophisticated around. Perhaps I could combine Edzup's code with some ParticleCandy trickery to make do though.

I had actually uploaded the old demo to my webspace, but it seemed to fall over on the last few bytes (as these things always do). May look at re-uploading shortly.