Roy Caverna

Community Forums/Showcase/Roy Caverna

Réno(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi !

Here are some screenshots :

The game is finished at 99%, the demonstration will be out on 15-09-2004. Ten complete versions will be to gain on this date!

I have to finish the english translation. Is someone wants to help me ?

Here are the french sentenses :
la foret des tapico

la grotte des kaviola

le village des ritoho

les trois villages voisins vont nous attaquer cette nuit. ils veulent voler nos recoltes de riz. je m'appelle roy caverna. moi et mon fidele dragon dubby allons les en empecher...

nous avons elimine tous nos ennemis ! moi et dubby pouvons rentrer dans notre village feter cette victoire !

This is what I get with a web translation :
the drill of the tapico

the cave of the kaviola

the village of the ritoho

the three close villages will attack us this night they want to steal our rice recoltes I am called roy caverna. me and my faithful dragon dubby don't let them do that... 

we have eliminated all our enemies! me and dubby can return in our village to celebrate this victory! 

The first good translator will be credited :)

Thank you !

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#2]

the three close villages will attack us this night they want to steal our rice recoltes I am called roy caverna. me and my faithful dragon dubby don't let them do that...

Tonight, the three closest villiages will rise up to raid and pillage our rice <recoltes?>. My Name is Roy Caverna. My dragon, dubby..our mission to stop them at any cost.

we have eliminated all our enemies! me and dubby can return in our village to celebrate this victory!

We have defeated our enemies! Dubby and I can return home to our village. Our mission, to celebrate at any cost.

Probably crap..eh..;)

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#3]
I dont know french, but I think it's ok:

The forest of the Tapico
The cave of the Kaviola
The village of the Ritoho
The three close villages will attack us tonight. They want to steal our rice crops. My name is Roy Caverna. My faithful dragon Dubby and I won't let them succeed.
We have eliminated all our enemies! Dubby and I can return to our village to celebrate this victory!

I used a french-english dictionary on "recoltes".

GfK(Posted 2004) [#4]
I think the main character is far too big. All the enemies are probably too big, too.

MSW(Posted 2004) [#5]
It might be best to not stick too close to a nearly literal translation:

From the nearby forest of Tapico...
The cave of Kaviola...
And the village of Ritoho...
Our rice stealing enemies plan to attack us this very night.

My faithful dragon Dubby and I, Roy Caverna, must not let them succeed!

Our enemies have been eliminated! Dubby and I shall now travel home, to partake in the great victory celebration awaiting our return.

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#6]
Sounds like you like to listen to Record of Lodoss war ... especially the SDs at the end ;)

@Réno: why "des" in the first 3 sentences if you use the singular afterwards? :)

the forest of Tapico ( the forest of the tapicos )
the cave of Kaviola ( the cave of the kaviolas )
the village of Ritoho ( the village of the ritohos )

This night, the three surounding villages will attack us.
They'll steal our rice crops.
My name is Roy Caverna. Me and my faithful dragon Dubby will
... [ no idea what empecher means or if it is even written right as no translater knew this word ( tried empecher and empécher ). I know that I heard it somewhen back at school but that was at least 3 years ago ]

We will defeat our enemies, all of them! Me and Dubby might return in our village to celebrate this victory.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#7]
doesn't empecher mean emporer?

Réno(Posted 2004) [#8]
Hi and thank you !

I think "empêcher" = "to prevent".

Here what I'll use :

The forest of the Tapicos.
The cave of the Kaviolas.
The village of the Ritohos.
The three close villages will attack us tonight. They want to steal our rice crops. My name is Roy Caverna. My faithful dragon Dubby and I won't let them succeed.
We have eliminated all our enemies! Dubby and I can return to our village to celebrate this victory!

So the winners are... bot builder and Dreamora !! You'll be credited !

Thank you for your help. I'll update this tread when the demo will be aviable.

By !

coffeedotbean(Posted 2004) [#9]
Looking forward to playing this.. how much VMem does it need?... looks like it will need alot.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#10]
I agree that the characters are all too big, but then some of my favorite old arcade games (eg. Strider) had huge characters and they played fine. I like the funky graphic style, like it's all ink etchings.

Réno(Posted 2004) [#11]
184 mb of Vram... no, that's a joke :) Well... no 8bit support... game runs in 16bit mode... ((17Mb of 8bits images x 2 for 16bit mode)+1Mb of sounds)... well, I think it's around 35Mb in Vram !

Mmm, I like big characters... I've done my best to get the best gameplay for this game. I hope you'll like it :)

Eikon(Posted 2004) [#12]
You can use this
Text 1, 1, "VMem: " + (TotalVidMem() - AvailVidMem()) / 1024 + "kbs"
to find out. If it's close to 32MB it would be worth trimming down to accommodate those users of old vid cards.

Oddball(Posted 2004) [#13]
I think this game looks great. It has a very original style. Why does it matter if it has large characters if the game plays well? Anyway can't wait to have a try.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#14]
"Why does it matter if it has large characters if the game plays well?"
How the game plays is the whole issue. Huge characters leaves little room on-screen for maneuvering.

Réno(Posted 2004) [#15]
Just wait to play the demo...

Eikon > 30Mb in the Vram. But, I think, most computer have AGP port. So DirectX use the PC Ram if there not enough VRam ( I think ).

Réno(Posted 2004) [#16]
Hi,

The game is out !!

Comments welcome :)

All informations at :
http://www.thereeteam.com/id03/id03.htm

You can win a full version by answering this question : which is the value of the last coin given by Candice at the end of the last level of the demonstration of "Alice and the golden coins" ? - Send your answer before the 16-09-2004 23h59 ( french hour, now it is 22h00 here ). The ten good answers will receive the game by e-mail. Free contest without obligation of purchase. Good luck!

Rob(Posted 2004) [#17]
ok nice demo... a few problems:

1) make english language and french language option with picture of english and french flag when you start the game (click) or something... otherwise hard for an english person to choose english language if he can't read french!

2) game is difficult

3) the game IS actually a lot of fun though :)

Dreamora(Posted 2004) [#18]
Is it possible to beat level 3???
this ? coin dropping is quite unfair as there are coins on both sides and standing in the middle as on the left / right doesn't help ...

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#19]
heck I can't even get very far past the first flag in level 1... I gave up. Too large of characters to maneuver around things.

I can't figure out how to fire the... smoking marble thing very well.

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#20]
This is madly difficult. Checkpoints or restart from where you die would really make it easier for normal humans to play. It's very frustrating that you have to start over every time you die.

But it's fun :)

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#21]
> 3) the game IS actually a lot of fun though :)

That's your 3rd problem? ;)

Réno(Posted 2004) [#22]
Hi,

Language : I'll think doing things better.

Difficulty : I know that's a little hard, but when I was young ( snif ! ), games was very hard... for me it was "normal" difficulty ( gouls'n ghosts, Mystic defender, etc )... nowdays games are really too easy ( one race, you finish at last position, and you win a new car, two news races, etc...).

This game was made without using functions ( I don't like them ). I made a lot of sounds effects with my mouth, and mixed with virtual synthesis sounds. I wanted the music sound like "Master system/game boy" sounds with 1980's percussions.

>Dreamora : maybe, you should not stay too much on the plateforme...