nano + editor test

Community Forums/Showcase/nano + editor test

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#1]
UPDATED 9 October 04

I'm back working with nano after the summer.
I decided to release a new demo with the editor.... It's pretty fun to play around with.

There's still some bugs with the editor, but I would like some feedback from it. It might be pretty weird to use... so tell me what you think. Check help for keyboard commands.

Picture of the editor and from the game at it's current state...

the editor.

and from the game...

UPDATED!

* changed editor keys... check help.
* updated editor (simulation pause etc..)
* lot's of new static objects...
* updated player gfx + other minor changes..

download from:
www.kotiposti.net/naama/nanotest.zip

oh and the game controls:
pl1 = arrows + right ctrl
pl2 = a,s,w,d + left shft
pl3 = mouse

you can grab objects with tail pressing down...

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#2]
Looks amazing. I think this is something very special. Good luck with this project.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#3]
Very cool start. I love the wobbling effect when you shoot those suspended balls. What is the game about? I mean, I'm guessing you're controlling a nanobot inside of a body (hence the game's name) but what are you trying to do?

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#4]
Anybody tried the editor? I would like to know how you feel about it... as it will be released with the game.

jhocking: You'll see later... :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#5]
Editor so far:
You've mispelled length on the contraint control dialogue. It's a bit tricky to place the dynamic objects especially the very small ones.

When I went to save the level I created, the level went black, I got the save dialogue, I started typing the filename and the entire screen went black then I got a message saying 'Parameter must be greater than 0'.

*EDIT
The Game: I can pick up things with the key controls, but how on earth do you do it with the mouse? I tried the middle mouse button and also even tried pull down on the mouse to make it pick up.

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#6]
Yeah its not every day you see something thats actually new, I mean I know the basic concept is liek duel, but what you have done with it is by far outstanding.

Well done m8.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#7]
Peturbatio: Thanks for reporting... have to check the bug you mentioned... did you try the saving again? does it do that every time?

The picking with the mouse is indeed done moving the mouse down... it's a bit tricky... I think I will use the middle mouse button for it...

Thanks for comments.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#8]

Peturbatio: Thanks for reporting... have to check the bug you mentioned... did you try the saving again? does it do that every time?

sorry, forgot to mention that once it gave the error it then quit the entire program.
I haven't tried it again yet, will do so when I get the chance.

MSW(Posted 2004) [#9]
The game is pretty sweet :D

However the editor doesn't work, said it was unable to set graphics mode.

my system:

P4 2.8ghz, 512MB ram, 256MB Geforce 6800 GT with the latest drivers ... I'm running on a LCD moniter that caps out at 1024 X 768 resolution, even though the GFX card can handle higher resolutions...the moniter won't, that might be the problem.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#10]
MSW:
sorry about that... there's currently no resolution selector in the editor... it defaults to 1152*864*32bit so it might not work for everybody.

Bot Builder(Posted 2004) [#11]
Wow, really nice game.

The editer is pretty cool although i haven't messed around very much yet. I like how the mouse follows the object.

po(Posted 2004) [#12]
I played with the editor and I like it.
I was able to make this:

It saved fine, but when I opened my saved level again it didn't have the background image with it.

I think that the controls could be better for the editor though. I ended up deleting the last object I made instead of making a new one because the create and delete keys are to close to eachother and it gets kinda confusing. I think the left and right cursor keys should be used for turning objects. Space, ctrl or alt would make good create keys, and the delete key is fine where it is.

I couldn't figure out how to make the stringy ropes you have in your level(is it even possible?). Is there a way to play my level?

The way you save a level is wierd, I had to go to C:, Windows then to desktop to put the file on my desktop. If I were a guy that only knew the very basics of windows then I probably wouldn't have figured out how to save my level.

I didn't touch most of the more advanced settings(gravity and all that) in the editor as I thought that I might screw it up.

As for the game, it is very fun moving, picking up and blowing up objects. The graphics are cool and the controls are good. Don't you think the mouse nano has a bit of a lead with his homing rockets?

I really like this game, anyways.

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#13]
po: You have to save the level on the default directory it brings up... then your background broblem is solved also.

Also you can play your level by saving it over the current testi3.sce... :)

You can create the stringy ropes by selecting a point from an object... as you normally would... then click another object with right mouse... then it creates a link between them... adjust the parameters from the constraint menu...

I think I make changes about the keyboard shortcuts... they're a bit tricky now...

I try to make it simpler when I finish all the main features...

Thanks fro comments po.

Caff(Posted 2004) [#14]
Nice lil game! Reminds me of liero in style. Remember - two players can jam the keyboard buffer (I used to do this to cheat at multiplayer Tetris) ;)

Stunning graphics tho mate... hope to see a finished article soon :)

Clyde(Posted 2004) [#15]
Excellent work, and a very cool editor :)
Any new developments?

All the best,
Mikey F aka Clyde

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#16]
UPDATED...

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#17]
Brilliant!!! - like the Matrix Style players and the whole organic look. How about being able to fire your tail and attach yourself to the landscape or drag things around ala thrust :)

I'm sure I and many others would like to see how you did this - you're obviously using verlets etc.. I'm just starting to play around with verlet stuff and any insights you can give me are a bonus ;)

Picklesworth(Posted 2004) [#18]
I like your soft object effects :)

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#19]
Stevie G: You can drag things around... use down button to attach tail to objects... or when on mouse use Middle button

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#20]
Ah - got you now - very nice ( don't have a middle button for the mouse though ). SO.. what's the secret?

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#21]
Secret for what? If you mean the physics then there's no secret... except 6 months of work and tweaking to get the engine stable and as fast as it's now. Start with basic verlet integration and build it from there...

Stevie G(Posted 2004) [#22]
It was the physics I was talking about. I like the idea of a realistic physics engine but simplistic gameplay. Any decent links to resources you know of?