Terrain Media Generator

Community Forums/Showcase/Terrain Media Generator

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#1]
I decided to give this program away for free.

http://zac-interactive.dk/applications/TMGv1.2.zip

Its a program to help with generation of media files for terrains. A very brief description is in the package, and no support for the program is given. Use it if you find it useful.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#2]
Sweet, nice contribution!

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#3]
Thanlks, but is there a screenshot or feature list of what this app can do somewhere?

EDIT - uh, sorry, I just used to read the readme:

>>
Terrain Media Generator (TMG) v1.0

This software is freeware and without support.
Everything done by Johnny B. of zac-interactive except shadow code based of code from BlitzBasic.com code archieves.

No real documentation exist for this piece of software, but most
will be pretty selfexplanatory, but here is a brief overview of what it does:

There are four main windows.

1. Colormap Generator:

This window contains a Gradient control area for making a color palette for use with the color mapper. There is a preset load/save and reset for this. Also you will find here some map controls. Here you can load heightmaps, texturemaps and shadowmaps. Or generate a new shadow map based on the currently created heightmap and settins for the sun. You have the choise of merging texturemap, shadowmap or both and set the level of merging for these. Also there is a button that opens up a heightmap editor with some basic drawing funcions for freehanding a heightmap.

2. Heightmap Generator:

This window is used to generate heightmaps of different sizes with random hills based on a few settings. This heightmap can be a regular or an island shaped map.

3. Transition Generator:

This window is mostly used to generate transition texture tiles and there are a number of builtin transitions to choose from.

4. Textured Colormap Generator:

This window will allow you to load up to 8 textures that can be used to generate a colormap that are textured. The colormap is based on height settins for the textures that is then applied according to the height of the heigtmap.

Included is a test color file for the colormapper to show how colors can be set up.

Use right mouse button on spinners for changing the nubers faster.

I hope that someone will find this useful for helping with generating terrain media files.

I don't expect to update anything on this software, but if you have questions you are welcome to send me an email.

Kind regards,

Johnny B.
<<

Thanks for sharing. You could also add it to the toolbox section, Freeware is always good.

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#4]
I would just like to add to JFK's post that you can also draw a height map in the program so you don't have to stick to the random one's either. :)

This is a pretty cool Terrain media tool, welldone Zawran :)

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#5]
[edit] Updated the picture in the first post.

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2004) [#6]
Hi zawran,

did you use my lightmapping and texture transition code?

Very nice package by the way.

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yes I used the lightmapping code you had posted in the code section, couldn't remember who made it so I just wrote in the readme that it was from the code section here. I don't think that I have seen your texture transition code. Is it in the code archieves. I have been offline for a while.

This one is using height difference values to figure out the transparency percentage between one texture to the next.

The random terrain code is based of an article I read on the web and I just found the link for that if anyone is interested:

http://www.robot-frog.com/3d/hills/index.html

TartanTangerine (was Indiepath)(Posted 2004) [#8]
You mean a bit like this..

; -------------------------------------------------------------------------
; Function to Give a percentage of the TExture to be drawn
; -------------------------------------------------------------------------
Function LEV_TexFactor#(h0,h1,h2)

Divisor# = h1-h0

percent# = Float(Float(Divisor) - Abs(h1-h2)) /Divisor

If percent < 0 Then 
		percent = 0
	ElseIf percent > 1 Then
		percent = 1
	EndIf

Return percent#

End Function

You may also be interested in the modifcations I made to the hill algorithm which allows you to generate islands with coves etc.. (makes them horseshoe shaped).

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#9]
Yes something like that, I will take a look in the code archieve at that hill algorithm. The one I made only does island, it would be nice with other shapes.

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#10]
Even though I said that I wouldn't be updating this, I did a small update this weekend. I have added 4 new transitions to the transition generator.

Braincell(Posted 2004) [#11]
Cool stuff. Thanks.

Bremer(Posted 2004) [#12]
Fixed some bugs in the transition generator and added the option of rendering to fixed power2 sizes. If custom is picked, then the width of texture 1 will decide the rendersize.

http://zac-interactive.dk/applications/TMGv1.2.zip