attack of the groox - encounter on blubuzz

Community Forums/Showcase/attack of the groox - encounter on blubuzz

Spot-Nothing(Posted 2004) [#1]
dear blitz basic community,

we'd like to invite you to take a first look at our coming freeware game release called "attack of the groox - encounter on blubuzz" which is the first game of a whole series. we'd be more than happy if you can give us your feedback on this game regarding gameplay or general issues.

download here:
http://www.nothing.ch/download/games/aotg.exe

screenshots to give you some impressions:

have fun.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#2]
they look a lot like beholders...

Red(Posted 2004) [#3]
www.hitmissorfumble.com/images/RPG/IMPGMG3004.jpg

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#4]
Ya they look like the ones from Eye of the beholder. Graphics wise. But more green and red

Caff(Posted 2004) [#5]
Firstly -

Presentation is spot on. The graphics of the intro and the main titles is very good. I expect you'll add a main menu of some sort, to indicate a new game is starting, perhaps some options, player names etc.

As for the game itself, it's a fairly simplistic affair. I didn't go too far into it, but I would say if you could make the player move around, it would certainly add a new element of interest. Again the presentation is top notch, but the alien models are a bit basic and need some variation / change of attack pattern. I found the limit on ammunition a bit annoying too, a game like this is crying out for unlimited ammo and full on, frantic fast paced action (ala Serious Sam)

I didn't like the fact the game tries to connect to the internet after you die - the game froze, and because it takes up full screen I couldn't see the firewall message - therefore I had to ctrl+alt+del out. Very annoying. Remove the automatic connection and make it a manual option for the player. (If you are trying to contact an online hi-score server, as I suspect you are)

You should warn people before they download a demo like this, as they and I can't be sure of whether you are trying to access personal data and upload it to your site, or whether it's purely for stats / hiscore data...

Anyway it's a nice effort, add some variation in to it and it could do well.

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#6]
The intro is really well done! The game itself is pretty cool (I love the feel and accuracy of your gun turret,) but as Caff says it's repetitive. There needs to be change of pace, like maybe other aliens that attack after the first couple waves.

jfk EO-11110(Posted 2004) [#7]
nice screens, cool design. the connection problem can be solved when you first do a dummy access in windowed mode, before the game starts, and kindly ask the user to permit access (eg. for highscore). Most firewalls give access to an app (if once granted by the user) until the app ends. So when it then writes the highscore, it won't freeze due to a firewall alert that invisibly is waiting for confirmation.

Neuro(Posted 2004) [#8]
Nice intro....I didnt think it was a Blitz game at first until it got to the game.

Spot-Nothing(Posted 2004) [#9]
hi all,

thanks for the first set of feedback, it's great that you took a first glimpse into this beta version. we'll try to add now:

- better online hiscore handling (requester)
- change overheating of cannon
- integrate more interesting attack patterns of the attacking aliens

i'll post a message when the next version is ready. your comment was worth a lot. thanks!

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#10]
yep very nice intro,i think it would be better with a futuristic tank or vehicle that moves around:)

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#11]
And upgradable weaponry!