Jump Around (Part 4)

Community Forums/Showcase/Jump Around (Part 4)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#1]

I was going through stuff on my HDD tonight and found this...

Thought I'd see if anyone fancies adding some more to it! It's still bloody good fun! But I think it needs more levels... and even if you don't add anything the threads are a damn good read.

Previous Threads:
http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=32919
http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=32966
http://www.blitzbasic.co.nz/Community/posts.php?topic=33030

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#2]
You should sell that game.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#3]
I quite enjoyed reading all those posts again :)
It's scary how quickly the game progressed from prototype to its' current state (About one week).

It would be good to do another community project game, but perhaps this time with a little more in the way of commenting so that newbies to Blitz can follow it more easily.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#4]
You should sell that game.
It not anyone's to sell as it's a group effort.

I do think that Blitz Research should host it and ask the contributers to comment the final code to hell and have it as a piece of example work for new comers to the language.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#5]
Everyone who contributed split the profits. Good game, would surely sell well! Either that or someone work off the idea and sell it ... I mean I'd do something similar if no one else is going to.

poopla(Posted 2004) [#6]
So capitalize on the creative work of other people... that will get you far in the eyes of people ;).

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#7]
Yeah, bad idea. I suggest working on something original like a sequel to your first game, pilot wing64.

Oh wait..i mean aerial wing. Or was it pilot antics?

;) (only winding you up j)

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#8]
I think we should release a compiled version (+source) and put it on all the freeware games sites we can find.
It would probably aid in the promotion of blitz.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#9]
That sounds like a plan Perturbatio, I've already got it on my site complete with source, however, as I said earlier, I really think it should be hosted by BR.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#10]

first game

Hardly my first game! Just my previous games (some much more creative) weren't polished enough to be published and win awards like Aerial Antics!

Also, I don't mind ... if something has a niche that isn't filled I'll try to fill it. Case in point no Pilotwings in 8 years ... yet there are still players who like that sort of thing ... which promted me to make Aerial Antics. It's a borrowed concept no doubt but it also added additional gameplay to the concept and lots of publishers picked up on it. It was a calculated decision that worked fairly well.

So capitalize on the creative work of other people... that will get you far in the eyes of people ;).

Worked for Bill Gates right? ;P

It's just really sad that people complain that commercial success isn't possible yet when they have a good shot they don't even attempt it. Jump Around could sell ... and no one's going to do anything about it!

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#11]
It *could* sell, but that was never the intention of the project.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#12]
Indeed, the intention of the project was to try and bring the community together to a common goal, and maybe teach some new comers some tricks.

But as I keep saying BR need to make this sort of thing more of a feature has been THE most successful community project and needs to be put to one side rather than falling away in the forums never to be found again.

BR should have a compiled download of this explaining how quickly it was written etc etc etc.

With regards to selling it I don't think we could ever agree on who did what. I did very little coding on the project, however, if I hadn't have done the first bit then none of it would have existed, so what's my share? What's fredborgs share, he did loads of coding etc etc. How about the people who maybe wrote 2 lines of code, or the guy who wrote the story should they get the same?

I think the code and media needs to be classified as copyright Blitz Reseach so someone doesn't just compile it, add a few levels and flog it.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#13]
The code and media are already copyright, the contributers, to sell it, someone would need permission from ALL the contributers surely?

*EDIT*
If it were to be sold, then I personally would suggest that an equal share be given to all, it saves arguments (it would of course have to be established who actually contributed to it).
But I don't think that this particular project should be sold, I think it should be free.

If people wanted to do a commercial, free-form coded game then I might be up for it, but certain ground rules would have to be established.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#14]
The code and media are already copyright, the contributers, to sell it, someone would need permission from ALL the contributers surely?
I think you're right, but the problem is that there's a distinct lack of copyright messages on each persons work... I think legally it would be tricky, hence, if it all fell under the BR umbrella it's kinda easier to manage.

I do agree though, this should be free, and remain free.

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#15]
I am in the process of commenting the source just now, will post once it's done.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#16]
It's technically public domain ... it was released without a copyright notice. Of course it could be disputed but ...

Anyway, if someone did pick up on this game it would be similar to someone selling Linux. Just my take on it.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#17]
It's the american dream.

Any thoughts on doing a new 3d version? Totally missed this one being made, but I grabbed the link above and added motion blur..will upload it tonight.(And edit this post with a link, for any one interested.)

Perturbatio(Posted 2004) [#18]
It's technically public domain ... it was released without a copyright notice.

My understanding of international copyright laws is a little hazy, but I'm pretty sure you do NOT need to implicitly state that a creation is copyrighted for it to be so.
But you DO have to state that it is public domain for it to be so (or wait 50 years).

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#19]
Dude,

Cool, add to it please!

Lets keep this alive.

Blitz Research, are you listening, we don't want someone to start making a quick buck off this? We want this to stay within blitz and enhance the community as a giving sharing place.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#20]
Yeah, I do think each person's part is copyrighted ... that's why I said you could dispute it. Still, I'm not saying use that exact material just someone use the game idea! It's a good game that deserves to be sold! I'm all for giving it to the community for free and all ... but it's a damn good game you guys worked on and could probably make decent money from.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#21]
Nice little game.

Regular K(Posted 2004) [#22]
Very professional little game :D

jhocking(Posted 2004) [#23]
I do have games I am working on for commercial purpose. But this, I contributed to it as a community project, and to me "community project" = free. Making money is in general good of course, but in this case I specifically want this to remain an open project for whoever wants to contribute and/or learn from.

I did at some point in the threads for this project suggest maybe going private with the project to sell it, but it was only a passing suggestion that I didn't mind nobody agreed with since as soon as I made the suggestion I decided that was a bad idea.

"I think we should release a compiled version (+source) and put it on all the freeware games sites we can find.
It would probably aid in the promotion of blitz."

That's a damn good idea. BR should totally be distributing this game as freeware everywhere they can, with a big ole "Made with Blitz" logo at startup. Maybe a few magazines will even want this as part of a coverdisk or something.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#24]
I sent an email to skidracer a few days ago now asking him if BR can help... so far I've heard nothing, so I can only assume blitz aren't interested.

Isaac P(Posted 2004) [#25]
blitz dont seem to be interested in much lately... unless its removin/censoring forum posts

Kanati(Posted 2004) [#26]
shush... or He Who Walks Behind the Rows will hear you...

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#27]
... or maybe they're real busy right now, getting some good things ready for us...

--Mike

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#28]
That's really quite cool actually. But where's the more than 1 player mode? Don't make me put one in :)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#29]
It's ready for multiplayer, it's just not been coded yet, however, there's a bit in there I wrote that allows you to create any coloured blokey.

Go for your life Enay.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#30]
I noticed that when I looked at the images and thought. EH! How come it's grey.
I also can't understand why you have mouse&keys controls.
Surely the blob should move left and right automatically when the cursor is fully left and right?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#31]
I don't like the mouse and keys thing.

> Surely the blob should move left and right automatically when the cursor is fully left and right?
It does!

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#32]
If it was 4 player should you share a score or all get different ones?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#33]
I dunno, I think there should be options, share score, share lives, share thrust etc. I also think it should be everyone huddle around the keyboard rather than network play, but that's just me.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2004) [#34]
> I also think it should be everyone huddle around
> the keyboard rather than network play, but that's
> just me.

Network play certainly sucks. I always put 4 player and joypad support in my games cos I've got 4 Sidewinders. 4 player games rule :)

SpaceAce(Posted 2006) [#35]
For God's sake, will someone PLEASE post an executable version of this? I want to play this but I can't compile it. This has been driving me nuts for months, now.

Rob, please be aware that your website tells a lie ("Download it including the source and media in the download section.") which could lead to riots, suicides and back acne if not dealt with.

SpaceAce

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#36]
You can get it here. I have disabled the online scoreboard since it's no longer available.

Yeshu777(Posted 2006) [#37]
I get a MAV when trying to run it. Copied to C root and still MAV error.

Any hints?

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#38]
Ooops, I forgot to include the levels.xml and the playlist.txt

I've uploaded the archive again, but you can always pull them out of the zip.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#39]
Ugh.

I was trying to get this compiled for SpaceAce too, but even after removing the internet high score functionality, I'm getting a MAV - but it's not happening in Debug mode. I've put tests on the loading of everything that gets loaded during initialisation (since I've established it's somewhere before the main attract screen Repeat...Until starts), but none of those throw up an error. After about 30 mins of banging my head against it, I went "meh" and did something else for a while.

But now your executable does the same thing! Argh! :o) I'm about to perform the "Fix 80% Of Problems" routine and restart, but wanted to share first.

[edit] Oh thank goodness for that - a reboot didn't fix it. I *hate* it when it does. :o) [/edit]

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#40]
The file I uploaded works on my machine (I downloaded it to test).

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#41]
Oh well, thankyou for confirming that at least - that's one less variable.

SpaceAce(Posted 2006) [#42]
Thank you, Perturbatio! The game seems to be working fine for me. Thanks also to LineOf7s for being willing to try and get a compiled version for me.

This seems like a really neat community project, I wonder why it seemed to suddenly end. Would there be any interest in porting it to BlitzMax? I think I could donate some time if there was a movement to port the game.

Also, why is the online scoreboard down? If it's just a matter of hosting, I'll host the scoreboard.

SpaceAce

SillyPutty(Posted 2006) [#43]
A BlitzMax version would be cool :)

Perturbatio(Posted 2006) [#44]
It would be, but I don't think I'd have the time to contribute.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#45]
Game works fine for SpaceAce? Bugger, now I've REALLY got some thinking to do.

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#46]
last time I tired it 1-2 years ago I got a MAV too, shame.

Kanati(Posted 2006) [#47]
works fine for me too...

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#48]
Works fine on my computer at work.

Bugger bugger.

Must.... find.... cause... of.... problem....

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#49]
OK, seems I should tried the "new" version ,it works fine now.

SpaceAce(Posted 2006) [#50]
This game is great. With some polishing (options, volume control, a more gradual increase in difficulty, a few other minor tweaks), it could be even better. I really think we should try and get a port project going.

SpaceAce

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#51]
If you have Blitzmax, the knowledge and the source, go ahead - port it yourself! It'll be educational (BMax-wise), if nothing else.

And to those who are having no problems with the very latest version of JumpAround working perfectly on their computers: THANKS FOR RUBBING MY NOSE IN IT! :oP

Grey Alien(Posted 2006) [#52]
um,....sorry :-(

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#53]
This game won't run for me. It just hangs at a black screen and eventually crashes out.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#54]
Chroma: If you haven't already (and you're not running the executable Perturbatio compiled above), you need to remove the two functions to do with the accessing of online high scores - otherwise it'll sit and wait until it times out.

Chroma(Posted 2006) [#55]
Ok...I remmed out all the hiscore stuff. It runs now but right before the game starts I get a MAV pointed at this line:

If ImageRectCollide(rockimage,rock\x,rock\y,0,box\x,box\y,box\w,box\h)

Weird...oh well I give up.

EDIT: ok i didn't give up just yet.

If you rem out this part( sorry, i don't have the time to do a proper debug on it):
			;If ImageRectCollide(rockimage,rock\x,rock\y,0,box\x,box\y,box\w,box\h)
			;	For i = 0 To 10
			;		poof.poof = New poof
			;		poof\x = rock\x
			;		poof\y = rock\y
			;		a# = Rnd(0,360)
			;		ms# = Rnd(1.5,5.0)
			;		poof\sx = Sin(a)*ms
			;		poof\sy = Cos(a)*ms
			;		poof\life = 30
			;	Next
			;	Dustify(rock\x+16,rock\y,120,100,80)
			;	kill = True
			;EndIf

The game runs fine. Now this is a very interesting game indeed.

LineOf7s(Posted 2006) [#56]
Well that's... different.

After remming out the online high score code, I get it to work perfectly... in debug mode. In 'release' mode (or even as an executable - even Perturbatio's), I get a MAV every time.

When it was originally released Way Bay When, I never used to get a MAV - so either it's something that's been introduced in a later version that only effects some computers... or it's something that's changed on my computer.

I'll check out the extra bit you remmed out though, just in case.

(tu) ENAY(Posted 2006) [#57]
Dudes, dudes! I hacked 4 player support to that game years ago, get the most updated version here:-

http://enaysoft.co.uk/_old_site/jumparound.zip

I also disabled the highscore system, I couldn't see the point of having it in a game that didn't have static levels. I mean you could add more fruit in your own build and have a huuuuge score.

If I also recall, 4 player version works fine, except though if one player dies everyone goes back to title screen, never totally finished that implementation off.

Have fun!