Lander Download

Community Forums/Showcase/Lander Download

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#1]
Due to 'popular' demand I've added a lander download on my site.

It's old... It's crappy coding... and it's a dead project...

However... Have fun!

Read the readme for controls and stuff

Gallery link

Just noticed the gallery entry says "Submitted: 1 year ago" wow... that's old!

sswift(Posted 2004) [#2]
You've got a backslash where you should have a forwardslash on the lander link. This causes problems for Mozilla.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#3]
Ta, Fixed.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#4]
Well it's neat, but I don't hear any sound... I assume there is none. And the controls are much too difficult to aim and fly with. I could kinda go in whatever direction I wanted, but actually aiming the gun was nigh impossible. I liked the chrome on the ship, though the ship design itself was a bit dull. And I liked how the ship could bounce off the ground and it would settle into place properly when you landed with the legs down.

The physics might have felt a bit better if moving the mouse actually caused rotational acceleration with inertia rather than just allowing the ship to rotate freely about.

Overall, it looks like a promising concept. I once was working on a jetpack game in Darkbasic (with cool force feedback support) and I like the physics of jetpack like flight.

One other problem with the game was that I really didn't know what to do. I suppose I should have read the readme more carefully, but I think I blew up one building, and I never found anyone to rescue and it was impossible for me to aim at any of the ships that were shooting at me.

I realise it's not done and you don't have any plans to finish it, just throwing some ideas out there. :-)

Ps:
Is there a demo for sphere racer?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#5]
There is nothing to do on the demo, you can shoot a few things, if you get in range of the bad guys your guns will lock on and the bullets will home in on the locked target.

And correct, no sound.

There was a demo for Sphere Racer on Idigicons site, however, it appears to have gone. Maybe you should email Idigicon? I don't own it anymore so I'm really in no position to comment further.

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#6]
Shame it's a dead project...

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#7]
Robin, this incarnation of it is dead, it's been through about 5 incarnations and keeps coming back (bit like Dr Who).

The problem is that I keep learning new stuff and realising that the way I've been doing it is total rubbish, this is a problem I have with most of my projects!

Fluke(Posted 2004) [#8]
Is there a demo for sphere racer?

Just do a search on http://shop.idigicon.com or...

http://downloads.idigicon.com/demos/maxx/sphereracerdemo.exe

semar(Posted 2004) [#9]
The problem is that I keep learning new stuff and realising that the way I've been doing it is total rubbish, this is a problem I have with most of my projects!
Dude, release at least a playable version then ! If you keep improving a game, you'll never finish it.

IMO all your games have great potential. The Lander needs some better movement and aiming control - my personal opinion - but apart of that, add a bunch of music, sounds and there you go, something to play with and enjoy. After that, you can focus on a new version from scratch, but at least there's already a playable version.

No offence at all m8 !

:)

Sergio.

Eric(Posted 2004) [#10]
Rob,

Any chance in seeing the Code?

Regards,
Eric

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#11]
Sergio,

I know what you're saying, but I wrote that before I knew how to use types so everything is in arrays and it's really ugly.

The main problem is that I know this game could be really good, so it would be a shame to take the shine off it by releasing something that isn't what I wanted.

Eric, What bit of the code do you want to see?

Eric(Posted 2004) [#12]
All of it? hahah Well, Actually...I don't really know... I try to learn from Code...I'm not a copy and Paste type of person.. I guess, I just wanted to read through the code, and ask questions along the way... I understand if your answer is no.

semar(Posted 2004) [#13]
DA CODE, GIMME DA CODE !!!
Sorry, just a flashback... ;-)

Rob, I'm interested to how you did such nice explosions in your Lander game; may I too look at the related code ? If so, am I allowed to use it, gfx included ? Of course you would get massive credits..

Thanks in any case.

I know what you're saying, but I wrote that before I knew how to use types so everything is in arrays and it's really ugly.
Frankly, as far as the result you get is a frantic game with good gameplay, I would not bother about the code used. Would you ? If I listen at a gorgeous simphony and have pleasure, I don't mind if the composer has used a broken piano. The result is what counts. IMO.

...it would be a shame to take the shine off it by releasing something that isn't what I wanted
I agree with you, anyway, your demo is already capable to wet the appetite of any gamer. That's why I tell you that a first release - even if it is not as you would like - would be good. Having players that ask you more, is a really good motivation, and you know that.

:)

Sergio.

semar(Posted 2004) [#14]
Thanks for your kind offer.

Sergio.

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#15]
There are many things I want to change about this, I can now do animated models so I'd love to bone the legs and give them suspension. I think that would look cool, also, have retractable legs. All these things I think would add to the gloss of it.

The control method is questionable, so that needs work. The idea of being able to get out of the lander and run round buildings would be cool too.

etc

etc

etc...

I think I need to write a spec for the game and stick to it. That way it might actually get finished!

That said I've still got 500 projects on the go anyway!

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#16]
I can't believe how popular this has been!

Over 200 downloads so far!

Eric(Posted 2004) [#17]
Oh Geeze, Now look what I have done... Started to program a lander program, and your bringing yours out of the closet... :(

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#18]
I put the download up for you Eric as you kept saying you wanted to play it!

mrtricks(Posted 2004) [#19]
Eric, there's room for more than one Lander program!

Eric(Posted 2004) [#20]
:) I know... :) It's hard to judge a persons Vocal inflections on a type written note... Rob, I hope you know I was kidding.