Cryo Team Patch 1 of 100243

Community Forums/Showcase/Cryo Team Patch 1 of 100243

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hey,

Feel free to delete the first cryo threads mods..i don't like releasing things into already started threads..it's not natural..;)
--

-[Original Alpha 1 Release]
http://kamikazekrow.com/antony/CryoTeam.rar < 17mb. Original game. Needed if you did *NOT* download the first demo, otherwise you already have this.

-[ New Patch 1 release ] - (Download this if you're not sure)
http://kamikazekrow.com/antony/CryoPatch1.rar < only 700k.

Anyway, patch 1 requires the original game, but the upshot is it's a MUCH smaller download.
-

Installation:
Copy all files into main alpha1 folder. And run newly supplied exe, instead of alpha1 .exe. And that's it. No need to copy any files in folders this time :)

No enemies, because I wanted the focus to be on the path finding.. It's not 100% perfect yet, but it's a *big* step up from the last one.(Which had no path finding at all, other than the formation)

Also, added laser scopes(To yours and team mates)

Added (imo) very cool swoosh sounds. Now go into bullet time and fastly move your gun etc, it'll cut through the air. (the sound dynamically alters pitch/volume depending on motion, so it's pretty belivable)

Turned off bloom and shadows completely, so you can focus on trying the game out. (I could come up with some bs story why this is a good thing, or I could just admit I forget to turn them back on before uploading...pick one which makes you less angry and go with it ;) )

Anyway, that's about it..most of the time went on the dynamic path finding.

another patch in a few days. (probably)

-Controls-
(Hold) = Run

V(Hold) = Crouch

Space (Toggle) = Raise/Lower gun

Q (Hold) = Lock heading and control aim. (I.e control the upper torso alone)

E (Hold) = Lean. Hold in and move mouse left/right.

R =Reload

T= Use.
--

Lmb = Fire gun.

Rmb = Enter Bullet time/Focus mode.
-

Team order system is pretty simple to use, everything done using your mouse wheel/button (No menus)

Press up on the mouse wheel to order your squad(3 npcs in the demo) to the location your pointer is at. (i.e point where you want them to go)

Press down (Without button) to order your squad to retreat. Unless your cursor is close to you, in which case it becomes 'Hold this position'

Holding in the third mouse button/mouse wheel = Mouse gestures. 3rd button and Down (As in move the mouse down, not the mouse wheel) = regroup and get information. Your squad will try to follow, trying to avoid geo etc.

3rd button and left = reload. 3rd button and right =use.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#2]
When you guys are trying it out. Try the new path finding. And please lemme know when and where it fluffs up.(Bound to happen, early days yet)

You should be able to tell your men to stay somewhere, then go to another part of the map, obstacles in your wake, and they'll still find you. Eventually. (It's a new technique, so it's not mechnical like A*..they literally look around)

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#3]
Seventeen megabytes!?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#4]
Heh yeah but thankfully the patch is only 700k...so it's a one time thing.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#5]
That's still impossibly big. What do you have in there!?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#6]
yeah it would only be about 9mb without the music(+70 or so voice barks) but i'd rather have less people download it and keep it true to what I envisoned one hazey night.

Gonna have to hide the size on release day tho..'oh btw, the game is 7gb. have fun downloading. (Runs off with your money)'

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#7]
You gotta be kidding when you say 7 Gb? :D

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#8]
Talking bs again would be a more accurate describtion ;)

Rob(Posted 2004) [#9]
The sound directory still needs creating. Why don't you fix this stuff?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#10]
Still on win2k, which for some reason presents me with a 'svhost.exe' crash on start up, which locks me out of most desktop functionality..including drag and drop/copy/paste and folder creation..

I'm re-installing xp on my better machine tonight though, i'll sort it out then.

Btw the sounds in the patch do *not* need copying to the sound folder. leave them with the .exe

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#11]
I just tried it. Why don't you work on it for, say, three or four months before posting an 'alpha'?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#12]
I was originally going to wait until it was a fully playable game etc, but seeing as I need to get an artist on board to do the levels(The current map is my own hideous creation), I need to get feedback on it now..get it up a state where's there's nothing glaring. quicker to do that here..(it's not like you guys are my target audience for this game!)

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#13]
Any artist worth his salt isn't going to be attracted by something so incomplete, though.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#14]
Of course not right now..but by the time I go shoping for one it *will* be.

I did all that in under two weeks, and it is modular code.(I.e anything you can do, the npcs can do.)..
You can even do quite a bit more than shown in the alpha...like if I was to put a enemy NPC in there you could sneak up on him and pull you gun and scream 'freeze' etc..lots of little touches.

Anyway, i'm off for the afternoon. Have fun playing guys. or finding faults. ;)

Warren(Posted 2004) [#15]
Is this still the game where you're an action movie star or is this something else?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#16]
That one is still being designed, but it's moved on quite a bit from you being a action star.

Missy:
.... OK. Fine. Focused reality in 5 easy to swallow steps.

one, (RAises hud element) I can see and touch even what you can't.(Frisbee's it back to the
screen, it locks back in place)

Two, This place, is real. To you it's a likeness, a screen of pixels, to us it's real.

which leads us nicely into three, the bad die young but the good live forever.
But that's not to say death doesn't come with it's share of drawbacks.
I mean there has to be right or what's so great about living?

Four, The rules of reality as you know them, do not apply here.

And lastly five, there is only one escape.

sort of a reality tv show from the future meets saving world...well, i was stoned at the time...enough said..;p

Anyway, I really am off now..so i'll respond to your sarcastic follow up later tonight epic..;)

Warren(Posted 2004) [#17]
Don't be so defensive. It was a simple question.

I find the description somewhat hard to follow, but it could be interesting...

Rob(Posted 2004) [#18]
Where is vivid?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#19]
On my hard drive.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#20]
I thought this was done in vivid though, then I realised it wasn't.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#21]
Nah, just doing this to *hopefully* make a little money on the side, pixel shader fx etc not really high on the agenda(Smaller market) Though I have been thinking about switching to vivid or a free C++ engine recently, for speed reasons.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#22]
It'd be easier just doing a part time job on the sly - and you'd be guaranteed money. it does mean you actually have to leave the house though.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#23]
it does mean you actually have to leave the house though.

Really? There I was thinking work came to you by magic carpet courier. Live and learn.

I'll carry on doing this. It'll pay a lot better than some poxy sell your soul office job..and even if it doesn't *shrugs* vivid/nx to come, little too young to give up my dreams just yet..

Eikon(Posted 2004) [#24]
Still had to place bt1, bt2, reload1, and shot1 in the sound directory. Then it still ran < 1fps.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#25]
It runs at around 30fps here without shadows/bloom, and I'm using a 350mhz PII, with the cheapest g5-5600 money can buy.
Your pc destroys it in everyway, so there is definitely something else going on here.

How long are you letting it run? It takes a couple of seconds for the frame limiting to sync up(I.e very slow, as it balences out to your pc's power)

Eikon(Posted 2004) [#26]
Just let it go for a minute or so and it never got any better. Another issue I've noticed is that I'll get a random MAV when starting the game about every 1/5 execution. Bug is probably ATI related since skn3 had the same problem.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#27]
Yeah I've noticed everyone who has had a problem had an ati card too..three people I think now. Though amon has the same card as you, and it worked on his..so perhaps it's a driver related thing more than the card it's self.

The mav one especially, as the only things that could be in the wrong place are the sounds, and the code reports to you when it can't find one, so it's very unlikely to be content related..

I'll release the next version with debug enabled..hopefully will shed some light on it, but for now i'm clueless...

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#28]
Well I have an ATI card no problems there. However, the pathfinding doesn't seem to do anything for some reason. I told my guys to go to one spot ... then I left and called them to retreat. I was in the gold room all the way around that hall and had left them in the big room. When I came back they were trying to walk through the wall to get to where I had been. I tried in several rooms actually all had the same effect.

Also, the laser sight doens't look right when I'm in focus mode and the pointer tends to get caught up on things making it jumpy a little. When I do 3rd person reticules I do an interpolated pointer where the character is actually aiming which lags behind the actual pointer. It works much like an interpolated laggy camera.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#29]
Yeah I've spent the last few hours on the path finding..it's nearly rock solid now in most siturations..also added an enemy squad..so the next patch should have some actual gameplay.(Few hours probably..)

the laser sights i know..but the muzzle pivot isn't facing in the right direction, and I don't have anything to correct it.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#30]
Manually correct it for the time being. Can't wait to cap some enemies ;)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#31]
Word to the wise. They can cap your ass too.

;)

Be uploading in an hour or so.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#32]
on my system the new patch is super slow motion so walk is like walking through oil, and run is regular slow motion type speeds. Allthough the mouse look seems fairly normal.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#33]
Seems highly unlikely...
Unless your mouse drivers are playing up again(The mousewheel before.) and mb2 is constantly in.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#34]
Spent the last day adding a all singing byte code virtual machine scripting language to the thing.

Taken a few cues(Inspiration) from bmax, but the next demo will ship with it's core guts/set up in script form, so you'll be able to try out anything it has to offer..as well as making total mods.

Little example of the code.
Cryo Future (c)Antony Wells 2004
;
;PrismSCript (c)Antony Wells 2004
;
;Cryo Sdk (c)Antony Wells 2004
;
;BASE Script. You must include this.
;
;You may license the Cryo Engine commercially for a complete modification.
;Contact CryoLicense@....
;-->

class actor
   member id,fpiv
   member x#,y#,z# 
   method position(xPos,Ypos,zPos)
	x=xPos
	y=yPos
	z=zPos
   end method

method actor(x,y,z)

endMethod
   method ~actor() ; decontructor
	freeActor(id) ;Free the actual actor blitz side.
        delete this
   endMethod
endclass

test=new actor(x,y,z)
test.position(25,30,50)

the byte code output(as run by the virtual machine)
is

18  7  
 19  7   7  
 19  7   7   7  
 20  7   7  
 7   6   7  
 7   6   7  
 7   6   7  
 21  20 
 20  7   7   7   7  

20  7  
 7   7  
 7   7  
 7   6   7   7   7   7   7  

(Produced by the compiler, internal op codes)

May release the script engine as a seperate product/open source, if there's any intrest(It's wrote in blitz)

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#35]
Why didn't you just buy a copy of BVM? If you spent the 'last day' writing this scripting system then it's not going to be one hundredth as powerful as BVM.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#36]
Wanna bet? :)

Actually I did check out bvm, but lost my bank card so despite the nice price it's out of reach. So I could either bitch and moan about that or write my own...made more sense to write my own.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#37]
Wanna bet? :)

Yes. Koriolis is one of the most talented programmers I know, and he has been working on it hard for a very long time.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#38]
Chill Bill.

And you're on. One billion dollers. (Little finger to mouth, ala dr evil)

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#39]
The Dude,

okay - downloading now.

...a few mins later...

Tried the new patch version:

Hey this is looking kinda good - potentially. You need to update your instructions (HOLD) does not exist on my keyboard. I discovered quicly that CTRL is useful.

I like the characters - are they yours or bought in? I think you get the idea of how this will play atmospherically in what there is so far. Lots of shadows and dark places - nice for baddies to jump out and surprise you - giving that kind of urgent tension to find them and get them and get out that this sort of game needs.

I liked the duck sideways that is neat for shooting around objects and corners.

With a nice level and some doors and various objects to hide behind this could be a nice fps IMHO.

Just a few notes:

The music dies for quite a long time on my machine when I go into and come out of bullet time (which is neat).

The bullets do not go where the red dot suggests they will, when you are zoomed in - I can see the red dot elsewhere on the wall - even over short distances.

The voices got lost too! I couldnt hear them very well at all for some reason - I think if you are using the 3d sounds you need to check out the range from which you can hear them.

I think this is a promising start though. I wanted to explore the whole level (yeah even though it is your 'own hideous creation')!

LOL!

BTW what did you design the level in?

Tried the orinigal verison:

HEY! I like the bloom and the shadows - put them back for the next demo/patch plz. Also can we select a screen size - I want to play this in full screen not a window - I hate windowed stuff.

The bloom effects make a great difference to the feel of the game - lovely!

Regards

IPete2.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#40]
Antony, it's going to be nearly impossible to finish this game *without* reinventing any wheels. And writing a scripting language isn't anything like reinventing a wheel - it's like reinventing a nuclear reactor for power generation.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#41]
Micheal, granted, but I have been writing such things(virtual machines/script engines) since the days of the amiga. This is *Far* from being my first, so it's not like i'm learning as I go.

Be positive for once. ;)
--

Ipete, Thanks for the mini-review. Bloom/shadows will be back in the next version, i'm back on my good pc now.

But the next patch will partly be scripted, included graphics set up, so you guys can easily try out new res/bloom settings etc.

[qoute]I like the characters - are they yours or bought in?[/qoute]

They're Psonic's soldier 4 pack(With quite a few anims added by ashmantle and a couple more by myself)
So, no one else can *legally* use it, but the pack is cheap..well worth the money if you're looking for a few characters.(Has 4)

Btw, as for the music dying..that's a bug(Argh! doesn't happen on mine). It should start playing another song(A bit crude atm, but it's a start of context sensitive music of sorts)..can you try playing the two mp3's in the track folder seperately, see if it's codec related?
Thanks. ;) (Pre-emptive thanks make it harder to say no I find..;) (j/k))

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#42]
Micheal, granted, but I have been writing such things(virtual machines/script engines) since the days of the amiga.

Really? You've been writing games since the days of the Amiga, too, haven't you? How many have you finished?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#43]
I never did games on the amiga, sherlock. (Couldn't draw, no net access. Do the math.)

And while you may be quick to point out I've released no games on the pc, I *have* on the other hand, released a *ton* of code, covering a vast array of subjects, all free.

Now, do you even have a point? Really, because atm the only thing you seem to be doing is trying (trying being the operative word, I can't be arsed) to start an arguement over nothing.

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#44]
What I am saying is that you are making an nearly impossible task even harder. Do you really want to do that - and can you even afford to?

And about releasing code - it's all well and good, but it doesn't require on hundreth the focus you'll need to actually complete a game.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#45]

And about releasing code - it's all well and good, but it doesn't require on hundreth the focus you'll need to actually complete a game.

I would have released something by now... So far, the only big game I've worked on is FMC. And yes, I was the one who quit 20% from the end, but at the end of the day fmc was a game I *NEVER* wanted to do. I quit on day one..only to be talked back into coding it...
I was practically bored out of my mind everyday coding the thing...
It's easy to blame the coder when a project fails, but perhaps if other people would listen projects wouldn't arc off into such horrible directions... but i'm getting all bitter now..so i'll shut up.

-Edit-Point to the above being, This game i'm doing now is a dream project for me...everything i've always wanted to do(With the budget I have that is)..fmc..wasn't. In fact, it was everything I didn't want to do.

So anyway I apprechiate the advice/warning micheal(All sarcasm aside) but let me try it my way. If I fail, I'll be the first to admit it..if not...woohoo..;p

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#46]
I was practically bored out of my mind everyday coding the thing...

But it doesn't matter if you like the project or not - unless you are a master of self motivation, you will *always* feel like this during the final slog to the end. Knuckling down and sticking with it is what separates the men from the boys - be sure you do for this one!

I don't have a problem with you trying it your way, and ultimately it's what you are going to do, but I'd much rather see you succeed than fail - so I have to say *something*.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#47]
Just edited as you replied,

but again,

-Edit-Point to the above being, This game i'm doing now is a dream project for me...everything i've always wanted to do(With the budget I have that is)..fmc..wasn't. In fact, it was everything I didn't want to do it.

Point being, I know it's hard whatever you're doing. but with this game, I look forward to opening the ide and coding it. FMC filled me with dread...a concept I came up with originally, but as a futuristic war..not the twisted metal rip off it DEVOLVED to. (Woah there bitter, down boy.)

Anyway, i know what you're saying and hopefully you know what i'm saying. So here we are, knowing what we know and knowing we know it. I'm off to watch smallville and do some coding, with the added incentive of 'proving Micheal wrong' thrown into the mix...;)

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#48]
Proving me wrong? That will never happen. I am NEVER wrong.

Now you can prove me wrong twice.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#49]
You were wrong when you assumed I slagged you off for saying I take things too seriously. Which ironically makes you wrong in saying you're never wrong.

(smug mode)
Am I wrong?

;)

Michael Reitzenstein(Posted 2004) [#50]
You are wrong to think it's that easy to prove me wrong. Now go and code.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#51]
Wait ... smug mode was off?

IPete2(Posted 2004) [#52]
Dude,

The music mp3s both play individually okay - I can't play them at the same time though.

I wonder if it is a problem with the wiring on my machine? It may be so don't stress out too much unless loads of others report it. I'll perhaps try it on another pc soon and report back.

IPete2.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#53]
um,FMC still had 60%-70% left to go, I kind of agree with Michael on that one. Until you have made something through to the end and finished it you really don't know how much work is actually involved in creating and shipping a product.

FMC barely got off the ground before it fell appart. THere was a ton of things to do on both the coding and art side. And getting your control system/collisions and network code to work bug free would most likely have taken at least as long again a time again as was spent on it.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#54]
Yeah and even I was able to get to the point Ant was at within a DAY.

I don't think you'll ever finish anything.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#55]
You used tokamak Rob. I coded a physics lib from scratch,. You go do that in a day and then I'll be impressed.
And I've tried your version rob..the control's arn't nearly as nice as the reflex version.(Ours was fun for a start)

And did your version have weapons? lasers, machine guns, missiles? Particles? Lens flares on lights, missile smoke trails with lens flares? Umm did it have concussion effects on the grenades? When you shoot another ship, did they pushed around and spin realistically? Oh wait, yours only had one ship.
Did you have pick ups? Did you have bloom/full screen motion blur?
No. So not quite what I did in a day. Your one crashes through the track and falls into infinity half the time....

Anyway,
I did a tokamak version too..and like you had it running in a day..Definitely needed tweaking, but it's not exactly hard to use someone elses hard work.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#56]

FMC barely got off the ground before it fell appart. THere was a ton of things to do on both the coding and art side. And getting your control system/collisions and network code to work bug free would most likely have taken at least as long again a time again as was spent on it.

Minor things compared to what we went through before..all collision probs Stemed from using spheres as joints, but with coldet we could use proper low poly convex to convex(iirc) collisions and they would have been perfect then..it was only the spheres getting caught in each other preventing inter vehicle collisions. A common but easily solvable problem..

truth is I just got fed up..(this isn't news to you..I bitched about it enough times about what we were doing..I wanted something with a bit more depth to it..not a fast paced shooter..

anyway, no point dweeling..it's history.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#57]
yeah he spent a good month on the controls and physics and they were good as far as the controls went. But the verlet physics had a lot of issues with getting caught in corners of geometry. and sometimes passing through inside walls to your vehicle would get stuck in a wall till you drove it out of another corner.

But the controls and physics minus collisions were better than what could be achieved in tokomak, they just werent yet stable enough to use in a game. the location/physic sbased damage and concussion was pretty sweet, plus ant did get as far as having a range of useable weapons that you could use to shoot other vehicles, and the vehicle woudl react realistically to where you hit it, so if you hit it on the rear right wing it would get nudged slightly anticlockwise.

THe problem with Ants FMC I think was that he bit more than he coudl chew at the time, and couldn't get the MP to work with the multiple physics/collision systems that ended up being used.

It also had pretty cool engine sounds where the pitch of the engines changed with the physics. So all in all it was pretty impressive as far as it got. Certainly better than Halo, and UT2004 if it were single player and had proper AI and gamplay coded in. But it would have been another 4-5 months to complete, and Ant wasn't prepared to put that ammount of time into something he decided he didn't like.

I think he burnt himself out and gave up, which is a shame. I'd just like to see him finish something, he's capable just needs the staying power. I'm often tempted to work with him, and seriously considered working on this cryoteam demo to make a decent looking level to play in.

Only problem is that I can't afford to do something for fun, and I really don't ave to much confidence in a Independant game thats trying to compete with several similar well established commercial franchises.

Do wish him luck, but with he would finish things he started. He has the potential, and could make a few $ with his netlib and Vivid game engine if he finished them.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#58]
"truth is I just got fed up"

Everyone gets fed up, its what sorts the men from the boys. The ability to struggle through to the end and finish something. If you ever had to work to survive you would know what I mean :(.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#59]
Heh, well vivid lite is finished..just waiting for the site(My fault for the delay, not perps), and ok from share it..and she's a go. just keeping it quiet in case anything slows things down...these vultures would have a field day ;)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#60]

Everyone gets fed up, its what sorts the men from the boys.
The ability to struggle through to the end and finish something. If you ever had to work to survive you would know what I mean :(.

Yes, but if you remember at the time we both agreed to work on another game...If at the time you'd said 'It's fmc or no project' I would have stuck fmc out, It was just the idea of working with you on a 3rd person game, with more depth was something I really wanted to do..you agreed to it at the time so I thought great, we could have even reused the fmc code base...but then you decided you wanted to do something else..and that was that.

It's my fault fmc ended, but I wasn't quiting..I was hoping for a big shift in it's direction..(I.e total) but not giving up. I'm working for a living..just not doing it very well..;)

Rob(Posted 2004) [#61]
Yeah I did basically. It's not my fault you chose to do it the hard way and have a buggy dead end game as the result...

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#62]
Except you didn't. I have your version right here, and unless you kept the good one to yourself, it's not nearly as good as fmc.

getting something up and running is piss easy...making it good is where it gets tricky.

Now just drop it already.

Warren(Posted 2004) [#63]
A tip: you can't slap someone in the face and then tell them to walk away and let it drop. Not realistically, anyway.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#64]
And likewise: You can't 'belittle' three months of someone's hard work and expect them not to react.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#65]
in my opinion both were good for the ammount of time put into them. The demo that you got off of my FTP took Blood a long weekend, and was by no means final as he wanted to get the MP side of things running before he spent too much time on the controls and physics. Whereas you went the other way and spent 2-3 months on controls and physics and then tried to add MP when you were satisfied with the single player stuff.

I should have checked what version of FMC was on my FTP server, bit unfortunate that it turned out to be Bloods. I did find your version lastnight if you still want it, only I have to minimize the size as it's bloated with not used work files etc at the moment.

BlitzSupport(Posted 2004) [#66]
Why on earth are the same people still trolling and posting negative crap here -- as opposed to constructive criticism? How many times do you have to be told it's not welcome?