Cryo Team Pre-Alpha(oh mega?)

Community Forums/Showcase/Cryo Team Pre-Alpha(oh mega?)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#1]
http://kamikazekrow.com/antony/CryoTeam.rar < 17mb. Thank amon for the hosting. ;)

NOTE:
When you unrar this, there are 4 sounds in the main dictionary(I.e with the cryoTeamAlpha1.exe) these are relaod1.wav, reload1.wav, btt1.wav and btt2.wav,
create a folder called sound and place them in it.

A little demo of the squad system, no enemies to fight. But you have a gun, and bullets.

No docs, so here's the controls.

WASD = Move in that direction (Indepentent of aim. You can run left and aim forwards)

Shift(Hold) = Run

V(Hold) = Crouch

Space (Toggle) = Raise/Lower gun

Q (Hold) = Lock heading and control aim. (I.e control the upper torso alone)

E (Hold) = Lean. Hold in and move mouse left/right.

R =Reload

T= Use.
--

Lmb = Fire gun.

Rmb = Enter Bullet time/Focus mode.
-

Team order system is pretty simple to use, everything done using your mouse wheel/button (No menus)

Press up on the mouse wheel to order your squad(3 npcs in the demo) to the location your pointer is at. (i.e point where you want them to go)

Press down (Without button) to order your squad to retreat. Unless your cursor is close to you, in which case it becomes 'Hold this position'

Holding in the third mouse button/mouse wheel = Mouse gestures. 3rd button and Down (As in move the mouse down, not the mouse wheel) = regroup and get information. Your squad will try to follow, trying to avoid geo etc.

3rd button and left = reload. 3rd button and right =use.

Note, the level map is bad and won't be used in the final game.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#2]
In case you're wondering what this is,

Though the level has a slightly less erratic lightmap now, so it's less harsh bloom wise. but still bloomy. very bloomy.(As one nemesis once put it)

poopla(Posted 2004) [#3]
Looks nice if not a bit like an acid trip in the middle of may. Will DL shortly.

skn3(Posted 2004) [#4]
It runs at about 0.3 fps on my rig, infact make that 0.0003fps hehe. (see specs below)

Out of interest, how come you don't use vivid ?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#5]
it runs at about 0.3 fps on my rig. (see specs below)

Then I suggest you take your pc in to get repaired ;) because it runs on much lower spec pcs at playable frame-rates.

Your pc murders mine spec wise(p800, g5 budget 64bit model)
And it even runs (With shadows+Bloom still) ok on this 350mhz celeron pc i'm using until i get xp back working on my good machine.

How long did you let it run? The frame limiting code takes a couple of seconds to sync to 60fps.(Updates, not renders)

As for the sounds..yep, instructions in first post.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#6]
Out of interest, how come you don't use vivid ?

I'm wishing I had now, in all honesty..;)

skn3(Posted 2004) [#7]
My pc runs everything else fine. Including doom3 at an average of 50fps in medium mode.

Perhaps you compiled in debug mode, because the exe was windowed.

I'm wishing I had now, in all honesty..;)

Dohf X)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#8]
Nah, it ran ok on evak's pc(Which is slower than yours and only a g3) and ran fine on amon's pc(which frankly was no shock, he has hal9000 in all but name ;p) so at the moment you're the only one with this problem.
Dunno man..odd one... will have to wait until a few more people try it before I figure out the problem.

What depth is your desktop running at?

skn3(Posted 2004) [#9]
1152 x 864 x 32 x 100
(last one is refresh)

I thought it might be the fact that I run on a dual monitor setup, bet it still ran the same after disabling the second monitor.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#10]
Hmm 32 bit is what I use so can't be that.

I'll upload a .exe patch that lets you disable shadows/bloom in game, and also starts in full screen in a hour or so.
But, I really doubt it's that, or it wouldn't be specific to your machine.(Given it's high specs)

poopla(Posted 2004) [#11]
I get "Sound\Sound1.wav not found"

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#12]

NOTE:
When you unrar this, there are 4 sounds in the main dictionary(I.e with the cryoTeamAlpha1.exe) these are relaod1.wav, reload1.wav, btt1.wav and btt2.wav,
create a folder called sound and place them in it.

joncom2000(Posted 2004) [#13]
NOTE:
When you create a rar file why not stick everything in the right place to start with like any normal person would.

:)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#14]
NOTE:
Why not ask why li..oh you just did..err..;)

Nah I would have, but win2k is giving me serious headaches..I can't even drag and drop, let alone create folders. But will install xp in a couple of hours..and will upload a patched version.

One of these days I'll release something that works first time. But not today ;)

Bouncer(Posted 2004) [#15]
huge download and nothing to see....

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#16]
Note to everyone : Ignore bouncer, it's a working alpha of the team control has stated.

Bouncer, please take yourself and your sarcasim elsewhere. Thanks!

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#17]
Yeah it works fine on my system, probably a tad slower than I'd like but it must be close to 30 FPS. and thats on a old Athlon 1200 512mb ram, first gen Geforce 3, running on WinXP windowed on a 1280x1024x32bit Desktop.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#18]
not bad, runs smooth on my p4 1.8 512 ram 64mb gforce mx2

ckob(Posted 2004) [#19]
well i tried it and it ran smooth but what kind of gun does the player have ? it was shooting like a water gun, and the bloom effect is kool but not when its on the entire game. I like where your going with the AI and everything

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#20]
wot no enemies to shoot?? come on,

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#21]

well i tried it and it ran smooth but what kind of gun does the player have ? it was shooting like a water gun, and the bloom effect is kool but not when its on the entire game. I like where your going with the AI and everything

How so(water gun I mean)? If you go into bullet time(Keep rmb in) you can see the shells it fires. They're invisible in normal time for frame rate reasons(Bullets are over 3,000 polys each)

As for the bloom, yeah, it's really ott in this little demo...on purpose. I'll tone it down for the patch.

ckob(Posted 2004) [#22]
well the bullets drop to fast they dont go very far is what I would mean I guess. and they dont shoot fast enough

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#23]
wot no enemies to shoot?? come on

Wot?

Oh i see, well since the AI works on actor objects and since actor objects can be human/ai or net..well, they're already in basically. just not in this demo.(I was looking for feedback on the team controls..it's radically differant than other team based games which use a menu approach usually..

I personally prefer it like this..no messing about, but since my aim is to sell this game at some point I thought it best to get a feel for public opinon on it...hence the early alpha ;)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#24]

well the bullets drop to fast they dont go very far is what I would mean I guess. and they dont shoot fast enough

Game programmers the worlds best natural resource

There isn't any gravity on the bullets though...?

When you shoot the walls etc, those arn't rebounding bullets, just sparks from where the bullet *hit*..those sparks do fall fast and bounce around, but they're just generated by the particle engine.

Going to add bullet trails to make the distinction more...clear soon though.

AdrianT(Posted 2004) [#25]
might be better to hold down a key or button to turn on an AI menu and wheelmouse to scroll through a list of actions. Thats if your going to evolve the AI commands further.

can't remember what they had in rainbow six on Xbox, but there were at least 20 spoken commands through the headset mic. Shame you had to try and speak english with a fake german accent for it to work properly lol.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#26]
Yeah it's not so much a question of nice ui.it's more a case of wanting it to be responsive/instant enough to issue orders in the heat of battle.

That's what puts me off doing a menu..Rainbow six for example, I never bother with team orders. I just tell them to follow me until they're all dead..too complicated for free flowing gameplay..
will think it over anyway..gotta be a way to make a smart intelligent menu ;)

boomboom(Posted 2004) [#27]
3000 polys a bullet? oh does that include bullet trails?

maybe the problem is with ATI cards?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#28]
Yep, a bit high for a bullet, but they are hidden unless you're in bullet time mode.(I got it from turbo squid. As of now there are no artists working on the game...not bothered looking. (yet))

I doubt it's a ati-specific problem though, amon's got a ati.(diff model though)

scribbla(Posted 2004) [#29]
runs fine on mine
winxp, radeon 9700, 1gb mem, pent 2.8

i like the move and shoot in diferent directions
..could make him move(walk)bit faster, not much just a bit

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#30]
Pretty cool! Can't wait to see the actual game. Hope you make it happen. BTW can you make an updated .exe where we can shoot our soldiers ;)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#31]
Thanks J. And yeah, next patch will have blood and screams and everything ;)

Tiler, yeah will tweak. actually for the next update there will be a ini file to change these things, including fx on/off, for those getting slow speeds.

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#32]
I like the wheel mouse to issue commands if there are just 3 commands I think it's good. 1 up, 1 down, and 1 pressed. Menu's can be evil! Definitely get by on the most elegant solution possible without a million buttons everywhere. We're doing really well on Market Value with that.

Steve C ™(Posted 2004) [#33]
Very impressive! Lots of potential here for a great game. Keep it up dude :)

Rob(Posted 2004) [#34]
I wasn't impressed to be honest. I think Antony can do a lot better than this.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#35]
Of course it will be a lot better, it's only been in actual dev coding wise for a week and half now.(started it a couple of days before the first pics, was just a 'plan' before that.)

so for a fortnight's work...it's passable ;) but definitely still early days yet.

I'll upload a few more public patches anyway, maybe one tonight..currently adding laser scopes to replace the horrid sphere pointer ;p

Steve, thanks.

Ross C(Posted 2004) [#36]
STOP CHANGING YOUR NICKNAME!! :)

DOwnloading....

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#37]
The dude will be the last name. well until the next one ;)

Btw, may as well ask here before I wonder off into the digital aybss looking, i'm looking for a level(And to a lesser extent weapon) artist.
Have four animated characters already with quite a few more anims that used in this demo(And someone willing to do more, so this will be static level geo only)
anyone interested send a mail to ArtAttack@...

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#38]
Hey, when you try to lean the target doesn't move with the line of site for you head. I figured this would be useful for corners maybe you just hadn't implemented that yet.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#39]
Yeah will probably pan around and zoom..but definitely something to go along with the lean.

Eikon(Posted 2004) [#40]
Ran same as Skunk, bout .3fps. Definitely something wrong somewhere...
(note our similar machines)

N(Posted 2004) [#41]
Stoner-vision!

Seriously.

Eole(Posted 2004) [#42]
Sound\shot1.wav not found ....

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#43]

Stoner-vision!

Seriously.

You're going down. Down town.

(Damn those sailor boys..turned a perfectly good threat into queer lingu. Not that there's anything wrong with it<Seinfeld)

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#44]
eole, check up, known problem...blame it on the boogie.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2004) [#45]
It wont run here. eventhough I create the Sound folder and place the 4 sounds in it, I still get the message "Sound sound\shot1.wav not found".

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#46]
Holy flame retardent hotpants batman! that's impossible. ;)

Seriously I dunno what could cause it to fail with the sounds in place..i'll include a sound folder already made in the next patch for those having probs.

Rob(Posted 2004) [#47]
Yeah I kind of think it should work straight away.
If you ask people to test your stuff, the least you can do is make it easy for them!

I did find it funny when he was leaning, to rotate him literally arse over tit, upside down...

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#48]
The lean function wasn't finished, it is now though. also added those laser sights, so a new patch in a few hours..gotta have me wake and bake first.

slenkar(Posted 2004) [#49]
'The Dude' are you a Gemini?

ckob(Posted 2004) [#50]
it runs fine on my setup
amd 2100 geforce 4 5200 256mb
1 gb ram

Jeremy Alessi(Posted 2004) [#51]
Let's see a new build! I wanna shoot some people! I like how the head lags behind the body movement when you do lean though. Nice touch.

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#52]
Not long now...just added path finding(big improvement), terminator style laser sights and some other cool things...the wait will be worth it. ;)

ckob(Posted 2004) [#53]
do you plan on making this multiplayer and will you be able to control the friendly AI like full spectrum?

AntonyWells(Posted 2004) [#54]
Yeah, multiplayer is going to be the focus. But I'll wait until I've got an artist on board before i release any multi-demos.

As for full spectrum, definitely.. the game already has a formation system, so when they're following you, it's a formation.

fish.formation=newFormation("Fish Eye")
addPos(form(0),-70,0,-60,0,True)
addPos(form(0),70,0,-60,0,True)
addPos(form(0),-40,0,-80,True,False)

so enemy ai's can have squad leaders too, and use the same formations..for full spectrum kinda things.(havn't played it yet, so I can't comment on gameplay being the same..but at least in style..fsw looks great.)

ckob(Posted 2004) [#55]
yeah in full spectrum you can tell your troops where to go and they find cover and shoot at enemies on their own its pretty kool