Software box shot maker

Community Forums/Showcase/Software box shot maker

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#1]
Hi,

having looked around for a decent box shot maker could not find one. Well the one I did fond was $90. So was thinking of doing a free one for Blitz. Would anyone be interested in this product?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#2]
http://www.turbosquid.com/FullPreview/Index.cfm/ID/231168/Action/FullPreview

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#3]
I would be Boiled, as well alot of others would be.

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#4]
yup

--Mike

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#5]
Rob,

pretty cool but $80?

I shall plod on with my 3d box shot maker, I shall post a demo this weekend. It will be basic but will show what I'm up to. It's gonna be a pet project that I will dip into when I get bored with qoob, my main project which is loooking pretty cool now...

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#6]
I've been considering doing one of these a few times... Just create a 3D model of a DVD case and hey presto!

My point was demonstrating that once you've got the model done you're sorted.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#7]
Rob,

sorry misunderstood. I was just gonna use a 6 surfaced cube (obviously sclaed correctly).

Red Ocktober(Posted 2004) [#8]
i've seen some 'boxes' displayed on sites that only offer electronic download. you click on the box, as if you were grabbing it off the storeshelf, to order...

... sorta makes the product seem more substantial, i guess (playing on the old idea of going into a software store, grabbing an oversized box, only to open it and find it 90% empty with just a cd and some ads to buy more stuff).

so, i guess what you're proposing is sort of like a desktop box publisher, layout sorta thing... with some templates of popular disclaimers and stuff... thus streamlining the box art production, right.

if it could be used as something the developer could send up to the box producer, or have the option just to use shots of it, or even a 3d model in their production/ad/website...

.. then it might be a usefull piece of software.

--Mike

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#9]
Red,

Yes it produces a model/picture of what your software might look like if a publisher produced in for PC World for example. I will have a BASIC demo soon.

it will allow you to export to .x or some 3d format.
It will allow you to export to an image file (png).

Paul "Taiphoz"(Posted 2004) [#10]
I did one a while back but it wasnt in near as much detail as the one in the above link.

And I would also be interested if its a high detail 3DsMax model. with skin ;)

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#11]
Because I'm a caring sharing kinda guy...

I've knocked up a UV mapped DVD case all, looks pretty groovy, even though I say so myself! If you use it a bit of credit would be appreciated!

Very simple, there's a front, back, spine, and a plastic texture for the bits that don't have any inlay (which I've already textured). The textures are all 256x256 but you can swell those up to any size you want, just make sure you keep the outlines in the right place.

http://www.mentalillusion.co.uk/tmp/dvd.zip

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#12]
cool, thank you Rob.

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#13]
Rob,

cheers, though cannot seem to load it! I use loadmesh right?

btw what tool did ypu use to create this?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#14]
You can't load it with loadmesh?

Graphics3D 640,480
dvd=LoadMesh("dvd.b3d")
cam=CreateCamera()
light=CreateLight(2)
PositionEntity light,1000,100,-50
MoveEntity cam,0,0,-50
Repeat
TurnEntity dvd,.1,.2,0
RenderWorld
Flip
Until KeyHit(1)
Works fine here

Made it in Milkshape

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#15]
Rob,

I'm confused now. That code does not work here. The contents of the zip file are in the same dir. But it doesn't load the mesh. The dvd entity is "0". Eh?

Rob Farley(Posted 2004) [#16]
ok, reuploaded the zip and added a 3ds version too.

Jim Teeuwen(Posted 2004) [#17]
@Boiled Sweets: Do you use a pre-B3D version of Blitz perhaps?

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#18]
Nah, i use 1.87. Anyway the new zip is great Rob thanks. All we need now is a software box and a CD mesh! Or is that too much to ask? However I might just use the 6 sided cube I've made and apply the correct textures etc...

I'll see..

Edwin SI(Posted 2004) [#19]
look here...it's free

http://www.mouseindustries.com/cb/

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#20]
wow cool

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#21]
ARSE! Ah well - I won't bother then

SopiSoft(Posted 2004) [#22]
owyeah a free one, thanks for the link, Edwin SI. :-)

Boiled Sweets(Posted 2004) [#23]
(WARNING, SHAMELESS PLUG FOLLOWS...)

Yeah that free one is pretty cool. This is what the RetroSphere product looks like on ShareIT.