Ulysses Foliage System

Community Forums/Showcase/Ulysses Foliage System

N(Posted 2004) [#1]
This is a simple (and I mean simple) demo of the Ulysses Foliage System (can be found in the code archives).

Credits go to:
AGore - Skybox code
Someone on #model_design - Skybox images
My father - Providing the digital camera I used to get the grass images.
Google - For helping me get the grass and stone textures (they didn't tile when I found'em, but that was quickly remedied...)

Anywho, Download

fredborg(Posted 2004) [#2]
userlib not found

N(Posted 2004) [#3]
Ah yes.. dependencies dependencies.. gotta love them.

Get this.

Lumivel(Posted 2004) [#4]
I'm on a PC that is not my own, so I can't run the blitz source directly, but in the .EXE there is no grass. I mean, there is the ground textured with the grass image, and the nice path and such, but no grassy grass.

sswift(Posted 2004) [#5]
Screenshots?

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#6]
no grass here too, just the grass texture on the ground.

xmlspy(Posted 2004) [#7]
got it working, just add the terrain.unl to the folder and the dll, then just run the program, it will come with a white screen, just press "y" and it will work, nice job! Looks awesome.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#8]
mnn cant see the grass either

N(Posted 2004) [#9]
To anyone who isn't seeing grass: Put the terrain.unl (link in the first post) and the bz2 dll if you don't already have it in the directory with the EXE and then run it (you shouldn't have to rebuild the nodeset but you might want to anyway).

I'll reupload a new version later when I'm not busy and away from my computer.

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#10]
ahh i see the edits, ill add those

Falelorn(Posted 2004) [#11]
Looks really good.

Lose 40fps tho for just a little grass on the road. Unless its not all showing.

Dragon57(Posted 2004) [#12]
I worked pretty good for me until I started moving around a lot, then it started slowing down and the frame rate went way down. If I stopped moving for a few seconds and started again, that seemed to help, but it never recovered the framerate I had when I first started. Very strange.

N(Posted 2004) [#13]
Dragon: I'm still trying to find the reason for that, but so far I assume it's due to Ulysses searching through each node to find the closest. I'm working on a new idea that will basically make it check within larger squares then subdivide down to a greater amount of nodes to find the closest.

N(Posted 2004) [#14]
Updated the original archive. It should work without a hitch now, but if you do encounter a problem then I'll take a tylenol and get to it.

Matty(Posted 2004) [#15]
1fps on my system (although I probably shouldn't expect much these days to run on it - AMD 500 Mhz, Geforce 2 MX) - and was unable to reach the ground to see the grass. Screenshot looks pretty though.

Dragon57(Posted 2004) [#16]
The new version seems to work better.

I can get it to slow way down if I go way up in the 'air', turn and point straight down and approach the middle of the terrain. The close I get to the 'bridge', the slower the FPS gets. I normally average 270, but approaching the 'bridge' it slows down to around 20 fps. This is on the machine with the Geforce card in my sig.

N(Posted 2004) [#17]
Very peculiar, Dragon. Especially considering I have a lower-end card than you and I can't replicate that slowdown. I'm still looking at it trying to find ways to speed it up even by a little bit, so I'll eventually figure it out I guess.